Author Topic: Remote control camera  (Read 372 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
Remote control camera
« on: August 18, 2017, 05:33:34 am »
I need to mount a single or even better multiple cameras on my car so that I could take a photo and absolutely know there is no malfunction. Cordless. I can put a little network in the car if needed.

Here is what I want. Mount a little GoPro type camera on the grab bar. roll down the window as needed. Take shot I suppose from my phone which is cradle mounted up front with me.

Now I bought one of those $40 fake GoPros but the wifi control seemed a bit clunky.

Later the camera/s might end up getting mounted to a roof rack. But for now the rear seat grab bars are fine. that puts the camera right at top of window and is pretty much hidden or out of way. So window only has to roll down say 4".

So I need to drive slowly, take photo, know for a fact I got the pic and there wasn't some sort of comm error, roll up window and keep rolling on.

The photo quality does not need to be super high. Color and any reasonable modern resolution is fine. I can buy some used cams if the GoPro variety is not a good choice. Prefer a smallish to very small size though. The smaller the better actually.

Anyone know how I could do this? Wifi, Bluetooth, Apps, Cams... anything.

Oh yes, and ideally me getting the photos off the cam wirelessly is a near must. So they could be grabbed via Wifi copy, or automated copy, once I am either back to my home network or maybe to my phone.

Ideas, thoughts, ever seen anything like this in a super small automated package?

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Tom

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Remote control camera
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:53:41 am »
I may have a solution for you but can I ask what this is for? From the outside it sounds pretty dodgy like you're trying to take pictures of people unaware.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:33:23 pm »
It's not dodgy if it's your job.  8)

Actually it's just the opposite. Sometimes what I need to take pictures of have people standing around and it's better not to be noticed or to have a conversation. I would prefer they not be there. I have to edit them out afterwards.

Just trying to speed up my work flow, time is money. buildings, construction sites, busy roads, dangerous roads, potentially dangerous roads, people that might be dodgy that I have no concern for, all those things slow me down and can at times endanger me.

Not sure what you were envisioning that I might do while driving an SUV with a GoPro mounted to it.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 08:34:44 pm »
I have a GoPro Hero3 black. There's a WiFi remote control for it. There's also an iPhone app. You can use the GoPro's WiFi and connect your iPhone to it just like you'd connect to any WiFi network. the GoPro shows up in the iPhone WiFi networks. Then you just use the iPhone as a remote control. With the GoPro remote you can connect multiple cameras to the same remote, or use separate remotes for the different cameras.

If you're using the WiFi and a Display back on the GoPros, it's good to use an external power source or to have extra batteries and a charger because the WiFi and Display back reduce the time that the battery lasts. The Back display is really nice to have, and it can be turned off.

For stealth recording you can turn off the flashing red light on the GoPro, but I'm not sure if you can disable the blinking blue WiFi light - you might have to put a piece of gaffer tape or something over it.

You can transfer photos and video from  the GoPro to your iPhone over WiFi:

I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:41 pm »
That is what I -thought- this knock-off GP was supposed to do. I need to try it again and be sure I was doing it correctly.

Also maybe I will power it with a DC supply so it doesn't want to cut off for any reason.

I forgot to say, the car will supply constant power.

Also little things like when he transfered the pictures he had to click the power button. It's little things like that that I don't want to have to do. Now I suppose I wire up a little plunger on a solenoid and trigger it to press the on/off button. that would work.

I was sort of hoping for something like backup cameras that are always on when the car is running.

I can get multiple backup type cameras to display on my Nav screen. for instance Front/Rear/Side/Side. That would be ideal if I could select a camera and press a capture. Or for that matter I would accept all 4 doing a capture. 3 pics would be junk but I don't care about that.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 09:29:30 pm »

Also little things like when he transfered the pictures he had to click the power button. It's little things like that that I don't want to have to do. Now I suppose I wire up a little plunger on a solenoid and trigger it to press the on/off button. that would work.

I know that you can turn the GoPro off remotely when the WiFi is enabled.. but I'm not sure if you can turn it on remotely.. I'd have to check..  The WiFi light on the camera will come on even if the camera is powered off - so I think you can likely turn the camera on remotely. After the WiFi and camera are turned on, you can both transfer images, and control the camera remotely. You can also monitor the live video from the GoPro on the iPhone - but there's a slight delay.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:57:15 pm »
OK, I connected my iPhone to the GoPro WiFi. Then shot some photos using the iPhone app. then transferred the photos over WiFi using the iPhone app. Then powered the GoPro off using the iPhone app. Then powered the GoPro back up using the iPhone app... - so as long as the WiFi is turned on on the GoPro, you can power the GoPro on and off, shoot photos/video, and transfer photos/video remotely without ever having to touch the GoPro.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 11:22:44 pm »
Just one more thing that you might find helpful: You can't use both the iPhone app and the WiFi remote at the same time. On the GoPro you have to select either the iPhone app WiFi, or the remote WiFi. When the GoPro is in app mode the camera is the access point and the smart phone is the client. When the GoPro is in remote mode the remote is the access point and the camera is a client. So if you wanted to for instance use the remote to shoot photos, and the iPhone app to transfer them, you wouldn't be able to do that without manually changing the settings on the GoPro - they can't be used at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:15:20 am by Scooter Trash »

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 01:25:02 am »
Throwing in a wildcard.... you could probably knock something up with a Raspberry Pi with camera board if your Linux/scripting skills were up for it.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 04:17:19 pm »
That is what I -thought- this knock-off GP was supposed to do. I need to try it again and be sure I was doing it correctly.

Were you able to get it to work?

Offline Tom

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 11:03:19 pm »
I have a Drift stealth attached to my motorbike helmet it is HD WiFi to you phone and sd card can be wired to your vehicle or charged and only costs £99 plus you can have a wireless remote to either record video or take pictures it comes with mounts and is weather proof

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 12:36:32 am »
Were you able to get it to work?

I've been tied up with some other stuff. Going to try in the next couple days.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 01:02:42 am »
I have a Drift stealth

I like the looks of that. Especially the software. It doesn't look like it can run off remote DC power though. When charging the display goes blank and says CHARGING.

I had hoped to mount this the rear seat grab handle. It's possible I could make a swing arm mount that lets me operate the camera on/off from my seat then swing it into place. Also I move it from a charging station in my center console to the mount.

It's not like I don't know I'm going to take photos. So say I prep it, take photos for an hour, retrieve it. Place back on charge for next time.I could make that work. Not ideal but the price is good.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 01:09:52 am »
Throwing in a wildcard.... you could probably knock something up with a Raspberry Pi with camera board if your Linux/scripting skills were up for it.

Cheers,

Keith

It crossed my mind but my skills are basically zero in that department. I think someone that knew what they doing could probably design it to where it took the picture and transferred it to my phone or tablet automatically.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Get The Forum As A Mobile App