Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 520 times)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 47
  • I'm stubborn...so is my guitar...
Raspberry Pi
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:52:16 am »
Hello :)

Is anyone using or has anyone used Raspberry Pi for recording, editing, etc?

I'm planning to buy one with a small monitor for practicing and recording.

Thank you in advance :)

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:26:03 pm »
I've used a Pi for vintage game emulation and as a VPN server but nothing like you're suggesting, I think it would probably not be powerful enough in terms of memory and processor speed. The other limitation is that as usually they run a stripped down Linux o/s you would be restricted on what software you could use.
Look at this:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=48778
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 Strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes all Amazon specials!
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 03:27:36 pm »
You might be able to manage some audio work on one of the more powerful Rasp Pi's, although, as stated, it's too underpowered to expect to do too much on it.

There's some people who have had some success running Ardour on the Pi:

https://community.ardour.org/node/13780

You could probably run Audacity on it too.

Note that you are limited by the USB hardware and your audio device would need to be class compliant, or one that's natively supported by ALSA, or get one of the specific Pi audio I/O modules that various people make.

I've actually always thought a Rasp Pi running Sooperlooper would be an interesting project.

Edit: as I suspected, it's been done.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:02:39 pm »
@DarrellW @Majik

Thank you for your comments and the links. It doesn't look like a good idea to use Raspberry Pi for Audio/Video recording and editing unless I upgrade many parts. In the end, it'd cost me the same as second hand all-in-one desktop. Although I like the idea of a small workstation using Raspberry Pi, but it wouldn't be practical for intended use.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 07:48:01 pm »
Even the RPi 3 isn't quite up to the task of recording/processing audio realtime.
It's really not meant for that sort of thing either, hell, it technically isn't meant for most of the more popular uses for it.
That some of us RPi fans make do is because we love to tinker with them, and like a challenge (and quite frankly, a lot of us have a few screws loose, so yeah...).
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:08:12 pm »
Even the RPi 3 isn't quite up to the task of recording/processing audio realtime.
It's really not meant for that sort of thing either, hell, it technically isn't meant for most of the more popular uses for it.
That some of us RPi fans make do is because we love to tinker with them, and like a challenge (and quite frankly, a lot of us have a few screws loose, so yeah...).

As far as I know, you have to be experienced in programming and Linux in order to manipulate it the way you want. It is good for home improvement and some fun projects.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »
As far as I know, you have to be experienced in programming and Linux in order to manipulate it the way you want. It is good for home improvement and some fun projects.
Absolutely, I've got a project on at the moment - I'm building a turntable that will carry a photovoltaic panel to charge my lipo batteries for my model aircraft, I want to program it to track the sun so that I get the best yield from the panel.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 Strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes all Amazon specials!
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 02:27:28 pm »

Yes and no.

With a basic Raspbian install, you can use it as a simple/cheap desktop without much in the way of expert knowledge. Desktop Linux is not really that much different from Windows or Mac. And as long as the application types you need are already there, you don't need much knowledge.

As an example about 10 years ago, my Mother-In-Law wanted a PC after she retired. Her only exposure to computers was Windows at the Solicitors office where she worked for the previous 5 years, and that was only doing basic stuff, but she wanted to do email and some photo stuff with her new digital camera.

We got an old PC out of my garage, replaced a few components on it and installed a Desktop Linux distro. Set a user account on it, configured it so we could remotely log in and administer it, and handed it over with about an hour's tutorial. She used that computer for about 6 years for writing letters, email, Facebook, and photo management with no major issues or difficulties until the motherboard started to die.

That PC was probably about as powerful as the Raspberry Pi 3.

On the other hand, she didn't do anything advanced with it like video editing or audio recording.

The biggest issue with the Raspberry Pi is they have a different internal architecture to typical desktop/laptop PCs and that means that any software has to be ported to them. That's not always easy, especially when you are talking about applications which touch the hardware in a significant way (like audio I/O does).

You probably *could* run audacity and other applications on it, but it's not going to be as easy as running them on a normal Linux desktop PC, unless someone has already done the work for you and packaged it up in a way that makes it easy to access.

So, not recommended unless you like to play with this stuff.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App