Author Topic: Power Supply broken Help  (Read 643 times)

Offline louie728

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Power Supply broken Help
« on: August 04, 2017, 02:27:08 pm »
Hello All,

I have a blackstar IDCORE10 stereo amp and the powersupply :( and it doesnt work.  The manufacturer states that its only covered for 90 days and Im 9 days shy of a year.  I want to get a replacement but it appears to be pricey from them like 49 bucks which is 1/2 the price of the amp itself.  Can I use some generic amp close to the specs for this?  It is a 10V - 3a. 

Thanks,   

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Power Supply broken Help
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:48:24 pm »
I thought warranty was for a full year. It is in the UK. Looking at the blackstar website it says amps have a 1 year warranty.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Fox Cunning

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 25
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 02:54:08 pm »
According to this page, only valves and fuses have a limited warranty of 90 days. Everything else is 1 or 3 years.

Offline louie728

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 03:41:50 pm »
I sent an email to their product support and they told me 90 days on the power supply.  Maybe that's their coverage in the US?  I'm going to see if I put a claim in if they will honor it.  It still baffles me that a non covered replacement through them is 49 bucks jeesh, might as well by a new amp for that.  Thanks for the responses btw.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 25
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 04:00:59 pm »
It should work the same in the USA, as long as you bought from an authorised reseller -- as stated in this document.

If in the end you need to buy a new PSU, just make sure it has the right voltage (more will break your amp), at least the correct amperage (more is OK, but less will break the PSU), and that it is well-built (switching power supplies have a tendency to introduce audible noise).

Some manufacturers would like you to believe that their power supplies are special and produce a magic current which is the only means of making their equipment work. ;D That is of course not the case.

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:18:28 pm »
If you bought it from a shop take it back there. If you got it directly from Blackstar then complain on their Facebook page. Valves and fuses are consumables, power supplies are not.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 162
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 06:42:39 pm »
I'm with Jono on this one, unless you bought it directly from Blackstar, take it back to wherever you got it from, they'll sort it out.
I'd complain on their Facebook page regardless, Apple pulling that kind of nonsense is bad enough, but when amp and effects builders start doing that, we really need to start protesting.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »
I'm on a Blackstar group on Facebook and there's lots of this sort of stuff coming out if the US. From what I've read Blackstar are leaving all the customer service stuff to there distributor.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

Offline louie728

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:21 pm »
Yes you are correct the support is coming from "Korg USA Product Support"  I found this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/power-adapter-cord-many-device/dp/B01CYZSY4W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501879720&sr=8-3&keywords=10v+3a Im going to try and send a claim via email first though.  I dont think I should have to pay for this.

Offline brian7504

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 05:00:57 pm »
X

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 12:17:28 am »
With that kind of run around buy another and return the other telling them it doesnt work

Sent from my LG-E971 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline louie728

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 02:53:35 pm »
I may do that :) ...   I put in my request for a replacement today via email.  I had to actually go to guitar center and have them print my receipt so it prolonged it a few days.  I hope they just honor it.  I will log back if they deny or accept.

Offline louie728

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »
Looks like they are gonna honor the power supply replacement.  The part is back ordered, but they said they would send it out to me.  I can wait, guess I will use my headphone amp and my acoustic more till then...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App