Author Topic: Song Arrangement  (Read 177 times)

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Song Arrangement
« on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:45 pm »
I have a huge collection of unfinished songs. The arrangements are still a work in progress because I struggle so much with structure. My music is purely guitar based and I'm looking to change that. Entire symphonies aren't built up of one instrument and I believe songwriting can only go so far with just the guitar.

How can I go about layering other instruments without it sounding too predictable and the same? Ex: vocals follow the same rhythm as the rhythm guitar, or 2 layered guitars each following the same melody except an octave apart. I'm searching for more tonal variety, just kinda confused with the process. Especially with the vocal lines!!!

I appreciate all the future responses and if anybody could link me to great Youtube channels/websites that deal with arrangement/songwriting, please do! That would be amazing!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:28:42 pm by jtibbs97 »

Offline davidvac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 19
  • Maidenhead, Berkshire
    • Holybrook
Re: Song Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 04:33:01 pm »
I am experiencing the exact same issue - loads of scraps and some basic skills but needing to pull it together into a coherent whole.

There is a lot of support on this forum and some really skilled folk who are ready to lend a hand. I'll let them wade in.

I just discovered tweakheadz.com which is a really great resource - there is one particular entry that is really helpful on the whole process of songwriting and layering up an arrangement: http://tweakheadz.com/recipes/

The thing I have found really useful on this community site is the monthly competition. Having the focus needed to pull together some of the loose strands floating around in my head so as to put a completed project together with a monthly deadline is a great way to get things done. I have learned so much from the process - not least how much I still have to learn!!!

Best of luck with this - and looking forward to hearing/seeing your work.  :)

David
Martin LX1E, TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, Laney AH4x4, Focusrite iDock

Offline Fourtwo

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:55:19 pm »
jtibbs
I would suggest taking some time out to work with a loop pedal. If you've never used one you can lay down your own tracks in the form of loops and then build up sound by layers. There are some good Youtube examples of people who build some incredibly impressive pieces using just a looper; here for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJE1fu8PPs

I've found my loop pedal to be really helpful in understanding how to layer tracks and it might help you too. Great fun too!
Neil

Offline Garfield

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:23:14 am »
Hi
I'm just a begginer and I've never written a song but I have watched a lot of youtube videos. Sean daniel has a lot of material on his channel that you may find useful. He has got a play list on songwriting, here you go hope it's useful.

https://youtu.be/oNZaNXMpID4

Sent from my SM-G900F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App