Author Topic: Overdrive pedal for blues  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
  • I'm stubborn...so is my guitar...
Re: Overdrive pedal for blues
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2017, 03:08:39 pm »
@Majik I'm not experienced at all, my statement regarding tube amps is based on what I read. I haven't tried any before, even if I did, I won't be able to tell any differences between tube and other types. I'm still in the first stage of exploring. As you've mentioned, others as well, I need to spend more time on developing my playing and techniques as well as knowing how the amp works. It's going to take long, this is usual, anything in life has a learning curve.

I'm not GASing, nor am I looking forward to owning best gear. That's why I started with low cost guitars, I kept the acoustic and sold the electric. I somehow started to know what I want.

@Barnezy congrats on the pedal, I hope you're enjoying it I've postponed the idea of buying a pedal now. I need to get to know the amp more.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2017, 03:23:02 pm »
@Majik I'm not experienced at all, my statement regarding tube amps is based on what I read. I haven't tried any before, even if I did, I won't be able to tell any differences between tube and other types. I'm still in the first stage of exploring. As you've mentioned, others as well, I need to spend more time on developing my playing and techniques as well as knowing how the amp works. It's going to take long, this is usual, anything in life has a learning curve.

I'm not GASing, nor am I looking forward to owning best gear. That's why I started with low cost guitars, I kept the acoustic and sold the electric. I somehow started to know what I want.

@Omar, I wasn't sure. you somehow seemed to be unhappy with the kit you have, and there really is no need to be.

Reading about this stuff (and watching videos, etc.) is fun and informative, but it can also be very misleading and distracting.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2017, 03:36:41 pm »
@Omar, I wasn't sure. you somehow seemed to be unhappy with the kit you have, and there really is no need to be.

Reading about this stuff (and watching videos, etc.) is fun and informative, but it can also be very misleading and distracting.

Cheers,

Keith

I wasn't happy with the electric guitar, but not the amp nor the acoustic. I hope the Strat brings me happiness

When I first order both guitars, my decision was based on price and looks. I didn't know anything about other options and models. The more I read and watch, the more i get better and clearer idea about what I want.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 01:22:54 am »
@TB-AV at the moment, I can't afford another amp.

I don't think I've suggested that you get a different amp. In fact, I don;t even know what amp you have. I haven't bothered to look.

Here is a guitar that you might be interested though. Similar price range to that Strat and designed by someone that get's called on to make lots of sounds.

Watching him use it, it has all the features you need, is straight forward, quality parts put together in a good way. Basically a workhorse.... and from what I hear sounds really nice all around.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26069-snamm-17---reverend-guitars-reeves-gabrels-dirtbike-signature-demo
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2017, 05:47:48 am »
I don't think I've suggested that you get a different amp. In fact, I don;t even know what amp you have. I haven't bothered to look.

Here is a guitar that you might be interested though. Similar price range to that Strat and designed by someone that get's called on to make lots of sounds.

Watching him use it, it has all the features you need, is straight forward, quality parts put together in a good way. Basically a workhorse.... and from what I hear sounds really nice all around.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26069-snamm-17---reverend-guitars-reeves-gabrels-dirtbike-signature-demo

It looks like I misunderstood you, apologies.

I like the tone of that guitar. With one custom P90 at the bridge you get different tones.

I appreciate your help and suggestion, TB-AV

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2017, 09:17:42 am »
Although many Od's are modded tubescreamers, much is preached about "original" tubescreamers. Listen to a lot of video's and still... guitar/amp/speaker/playing style/settings...it's a spaghetti to cut it all down to clear decision tree. A big differentiatior is= you want to find a sweet spot for some really mild drive? The "Just breaking up"... or do you want to go for some heavy chugging as well?
I often give advice to "beginner pedal experimenters" to try a good multieffect. You find every kind of sound and you'll eventually keep hanging around certain patches.  It is no lost investment because chances are, you still use it later for its delays, reverbs and amp/cab sims.
A while ago somebody showed a deal on a digitech rp360. While I have a bunch of high end pedals, I bought it to use with my band at work. So many patches to be found, so easy to set up via USB on my pc. It's a coverband so I need to switch sounds completely after each song. The drives weren't that bad au contraire, it even does some decent metal chugging.

I had a bd-2 and sold it after a year. It felt like I was just adding a louder,  slightly distorted sound and it couldn't inspirere me. Others can make it sing but I guess I'm not skilled enough ^^.

When I started playing, a cheap old miltieffect thaugt me a lot while it made my cheap amp and guitar sound rather cool due to the combo of drive+amp sim+ long reverb and 4x12 cab sim.

Btw, take any drive/dist pedal but also add a very short delay of reverb and it will make you feel "instant rock star" a lot easier.

Moral of my random story: a single drive or distortion won't do any magic if you want to sound like your heroes.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum
my band Point Fifty

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »
I had a bd-2 and sold it after a year. It felt like I was just adding a louder,  slightly distorted sound and it couldn't inspirere me. Others can make it sing but I guess I'm not skilled enough ^^.
In all seriousness, don't feel bad if you don't like a particular pedal that everybody loves. The Tube Screamer and Blues Driver don't appeal to me much either. I'm in the other hype camp with the King of Tone, Timmy (which I have yet to own) and the Centaur (of which I've seen a few clones I'd like to try).

Beyond that, many people love fuzz, but the only ones I'd consider are the ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud, Chase Bliss Brothers and the Hudson Broadcast which isn't even considered to be a fuzz.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
Overdrive pedal for blues
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »
Btw, take any drive/dist pedal but also add a very short delay of reverb and it will make you feel "instant rock star" a lot easier.

Moral of my random story: a single drive or distortion won't do any magic if you want to sound like your heroes.

Hi Lieven,

I agree, it is a misinterpretation from my side that a pedal can give you the tones you want. Everyone here has corrected me. It's more difficult than I thought it'd be. A mixture of clear ears and guitar/amp know-how.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App