Author Topic: Anything else for a beginner?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
Re: Anything else for a beginner?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 02:54:06 pm »
Shocking! Better make sure she never reads this thread then, she'll wonder who I have been fraternising with online!!
ROFL!!!!
I never dreamt what I would be having a go at, I've done (and posted) my 2 Shadows pieces on Electric and one Bob Marley on acoustic, next I'm having a go at Cavatina and Blackbird on Classical. I really like watching and listening to Gabriella Quevedo, she is amazingly talented.
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:18 pm »

ROFL!!!!
I never dreamt what I would be having a go at, I've done (and posted) my 2 Shadows pieces on Electric and one Bob Marley on acoustic, next I'm having a go at Cavatina and Blackbird on Classical. I really like watching and listening to Gabriella Quevedo, she is amazingly talented.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll check out your posts later (assuming you posted then here?:) I'm looking to get Bad Moon Rising in a good enough shape to be my first post. I can play it quite quickly, sometimes it'll be correct, sometimes it'll buzz or I'll miss D chord changing down from G (oddly I dont tend to miss A or G...). Just want to get it where I can nail it properly before I do post. If nothing else it'll serve as a marker for how I make progress. Who knows? One day I may be able to attempt something in the styke of Rodrigo y Gabriela? (Unlikely but never say never I guess)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 03:42:59 pm »
Thanks sir, will check them out later when I'm back on wifi (anf not at my desk in work:p)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 04:08:17 pm »
And learning songs outside your traditional genre may spur GAS for an acoustic guitar. Besides that, a lot of heavy songs and hard rock songs can sound pretty cool on an acoustic..... just sayin'.
Check out Johnny Cash's American Series of albums ... great acoustic covers of all manner of songs played in interesting ways.  Two of my particular favourites being Nine Inch Nail's Hurt and U2's One.  I think he did some harder rock songs as well.

May even inspire some to figure out different ways to play classic songs that can still sound cool on acoustic.  Not withstanding that we're not Johnny Cash being produced by Rick Rubin  :)

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 04:26:45 pm »

Check out Johnny Cash's American Series of albums ... great acoustic covers of all manner of songs played in interesting ways.  Two of my particular favourites being Nine Inch Nail's Hurt and U2's One.  I think he did some harder rock songs as well.

May even inspire some to figure out different ways to play classic songs that can still sound cool on acoustic.  Not withstanding that we're not Johnny Cash being produced by Rick Rubin  :)

I've heard his covers before (I do like NIN so kind of hard to ignore the much lauded Johnny Cash version of Hurt) and have heard the version of One. Recently heard a Chris Cornell (RIP) version of One (U2 tune with Metallica lyrics), it was amazing.

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 10:04:24 pm »

Gabriella Quevedo
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gabriella9797
Bob Marley Redemption song
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41587.0
Shadows Cavatina
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41878.0
Shadows Theme for young lovers
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41932.0
All good fun!!!

Wow, nice work, really good stuff! I particularly like Cavatina. Theme for young lovers really does capture that Hank Marvin vibe and Redemption song is good but there is something quite mournful about Cavatina that I find captivating, somewhat. Nice work sir!

Started recording myself tonight, purely for me right now. Problem is I had to record the sound wuth my phone resting on the head phones as I dare not wake my daughter with any noise. Meant I couldn't try singing (my voice does not work well at low volume). Not going to share these early efforts, well not yet at least, but I did enjoy (and get frustrated in equal measure) watching how I play and hopefully it'll help me with the mistakes I inevitably make:)

Once again, nice guitar work!

Offline DoomedProphet

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 12:48:40 am »
I picked up a small rug and folding stool that I use only for practicing. They also let the others know that I'm in "do not disturb" mode in my house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Frontman 15G
Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE
Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 01:06:16 am »
It's good hearing the playback sirloin. I usually upload my practice efforts on SoundCloud and then I post them in my road case, then once I'm a bit more confident with the song I make a video. Recording is a whole different ballgame, I play better when I'm not recording myself, but I'm sure that's a hurdle I'll overcome at some point.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline simonrouse

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 06:44:03 am »
Patience and practice :)

Sent from my SM-G925I using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 09:54:08 am »
I picked up a small rug and folding stool that I use only for practicing. They also let the others know that I'm in "do not disturb" mode in my house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Do not disturb does not compute in my Daughters brain, alas...

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 09:55:40 am »
It's good hearing the playback sirloin. I usually upload my practice efforts on SoundCloud and then I post them in my road case, then once I'm a bit more confident with the song I make a video. Recording is a whole different ballgame, I play better when I'm not recording myself, but I'm sure that's a hurdle I'll overcome at some point.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
As dodgy as some of it was, I actually enjoyed hearing my playbacks. Not yet ready for public consumption but not as bad as it sounds when I play it, thankfully. So either I am deaf to my rubbishness or I'm marginally better than I think I am. I really hope it's the latter:)

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:26 am »
Patience and practice :)

Sent from my SM-G925I using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
The eternal truth, much like death and taxes this is the only certainty (for improving in any case)...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App