Author Topic: Anything else for a beginner?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Anything else for a beginner?
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:31:56 am »
Hi all,

Currently moving onto BC2 and to assist me on my journey I have a PRS SE, a blackstar amp, differing picks, metronome, trigger capo, tuner and a decent set of headphones, is there anything you think I might be missing? I'm not good enough right now to be thinking about effects pedals/boards and I haven't been working on my singing as yet so don't yet own a mic or a means of recording other than a video from my phone.

Just after a little advice, in case there is something basic I may have forgotten or that could assist.

Thanks friendo's

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: Anything else for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:35:03 am »
Can't think of anything else you need right now...except for practice

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Christopher

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Too much guitar is barely enough.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:51:39 am »
A spare set of strings might be handy. But apart from that willsie01's advice is good.
Good Luck
The music business: a cruel shallow money trench where thieves & pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
Hunter S Thompson

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:53:51 am »
Can't think of anything else you need right now...except for practice

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Many thanks sir! I figured that may be the case but always helps to have confirmation. I have early stages of GAS and have to stop myself from entering the local guitar shops (I'm not good enough for an enhanced collection yet! Plus my wife would kill me!!!). Have a good one

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 08:54:42 am »
A spare set of strings might be handy. But apart from that willsie01's advice is good.
Good Luck
Much appreciated

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:57:08 am »
You could benefit from having an acoustic, Epiphone Hummingbirds are nice or a Sigma like mine!!!
Seriously everyone should play acoustic some time or other, and yes I do suffer with GAS, look at my profile ;)
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 10:43:08 am »
I do want an acoustic, but that'll have to wait until Christmas I think! As much as I love my electric, there are some styles that sound so much better on an acoustic

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:22:51 am »
I do want an acoustic, but that'll have to wait until Christmas I think! As much as I love my electric, there are some styles that sound so much better on an acoustic
I bought both when I started and after getting my acoustic set up properly I very rarely play my electric now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 12:37:11 pm »
I bought both when I started and after getting my acoustic set up properly I very rarely play my electric now.

I've heard a few folks say that but as a  rock and metal fan (primarily), I do love the sound of a an electric guitar.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 01:49:17 pm »
I've heard a few folks say that but as a  rock and metal fan (primarily), I do love the sound of a an electric guitar.

Nothing wrong with doing the course on an electric. BUT, I bet you will broaden your taste in music along the way during the course. I know I did, and suddenly found myself enjoying playing songs by artists I never (ever) would have considered playing..... Let me list a few even without red ears: Britney Spears, David Grey & Taylor Swift. Just to mention a few!
I know, something of a revolution in the head of this old(ish) rock-head.

And learning songs outside your traditional genre may spur GAS for an acoustic guitar. Besides that, a lot of heavy songs and hard rock songs can sound pretty cool on an acoustic..... just sayin'.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 01:58:58 pm »

Nothing wrong with doing the course on an electric. BUT, I bet you will broaden your taste in music along the way during the course. I know I did, and suddenly found myself enjoying playing songs by artists I never (ever) would have considered playing..... Let me list a few even without red ears: Britney Spears, David Grey & Taylor Swift. Just to mention a few!

And learning songs outside your traditional genre may spur GAS for an acoustic guitar. Besides that, a lot of heavy songs and hard rock songs can sound pretty cool on an acoustic..... just sayin'.

I have to agree with you there. I wanted to play Beatles songs when I first picked up the guitar. I hardly play Beatles songs, I'm too busy learning songs by other artists that I wouldn't normally listen to. Songs by The Pet Shop Boys, Kim Wilde, Ed Sheeran, Elvis etc

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 02:06:13 pm »

I completely understand what you are saying here. I do agree acoustic covers of non-acoustic tracks can sound amazing when done right! And I will get an acoustic at some point, though, funds are fairly prohibitive right now. I am a rock/metal fan yeah but I also love classical music, some 80s (love Adam Ant and Duran Duran for my sins) as well as some hip-hop. So I don't close myself off from other genre's (any aspiring musician would be crazy to do so, imo) but I very much understand where you are coming from. Have just learned Common People by Pulp from Justins lessons. I hated that song, as simple as it is to play I am now getting more used to it and have fun playing it. Maybe I'm finally growing up?

I have to agree with you there. I wanted to play Beatles songs when I first picked up the guitar. I hardly play Beatles songs, I'm too busy learning songs by other artists that I wouldn't normally listen to. Songs by The Pet Shop Boys, Kim Wilde, Ed Sheeran, Elvis etc

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 02:08:54 pm »

My wife is an Ed Sheeran fan so I have been listening to his music far more attentively that before. Pet Shop Boys soubds like it would be intersting to play. But then there is other stuff and the above noted Adam Ant or maybe see what a guitar version of Clannad would sound like? Probably outside of my skill zone at the moment though:)

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »

My wife is an Ed Sheeran fan so I have been listening to his music far more attentively that before. Pet Shop Boys soubds like it would be intersting to play. But then there is other stuff and the above noted Adam Ant or maybe see what a guitar version of Clannad would sound like? Probably outside of my skill zone at the moment though:)
The A Team by Ed Sheeran is a nice easyish beginners song to play, you can substitute D/F# for a regular D and it still sounds good. I'm only 7 months into the course and I find D/F# difficult to change to and from so that's what I did. It'll get you on a promise with the missus lol

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »
The A Team by Ed Sheeran is a nice easyish beginners song to play, you can substitute D/F# for a regular D and it still sounds good. I'm only 7 months into the course and I find D/F# difficult to change to and from so that's what I did. It'll get you on a promise with the missus lol

Shocking! Better make sure she never reads this thread then, she'll wonder who I have been fraternising with online!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App