Author Topic: USB microphone vs Microphone to interface?  (Read 790 times)

Offline anish

• Good Vibes 0
USB microphone vs Microphone to interface?
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:32:07 am »
USB microphone or connecting microphone to audio interface, which method is better.
Purpose: Home recordining

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
Re: USB microphone vs Microphone to interface?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 12:16:45 pm »
Neither is inherently "better". It depends on your circumstance and the specific equipment you use.

USB Mic's are easier and cheaper in many setups.

Connecting a mic via an audio interface gives you more flexibility, for instance, if you want to do multi-track recording:

1. The audio interface can typically be used as an instrument input as well as for the mic
2. With a standard analogue mix you can connect via an external mixer or PA if you ever need to (for instance, some podcasters/live broadcasters use an external mixer to create a "mix-minus"; this cannot be done with a USB mic)
3. If you ever want to do multi-track recording where you are recording more than one track at the same time, USB mics really aren't a good option for this. You really need a multi-input audio interface.

But for simple home recording/podcasting purposes, decent quality USB mics are perfectly fine.

Specifically, what are you aiming to record? If you are trying to record electric guitar, then there may be better options.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline anish

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:25:35 pm »
Iam planning to record acoustic guitar solo fingerpicking without any vocals.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:50:00 pm »
Then a USB microphone will be fine.

A cardioid pattern condenser mic would probably be the best type. The Audio Technica AT2020 was well regard for this, and they did a USB version. It's now discontinued, but you may still be able to pick it up on Amazon or eBay.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:21:10 am »
I was in the same position about 7-8 years ago and went the interface route for expandability. At this point I'm on my fourth audio interface and own a few mics.

If your acoustic guitar has a pickup, it could be nice blending the pickup sound with the sound of a microphone. You can only do that with an audio interface since it requires at least two inputs.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline anish

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 05:30:34 am »
My guitar (Yamaha FG 800) does't have any pickup. My intention is to record Fingerpicking without vocals and put it on soundcloud, youtube or some similar sites.

Offline davidvac

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 20
  • Maidenhead, Berkshire
    • Holybrook
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:46:26 am »
Hi Anish

If you want the best quality of recording acoustic guitar solo, then you will need a matched pair of mics set up in an X-Y pattern. Condensers will probably be best for this but they tend to be expensive.

If you want a really great general purpose set up then you might like to try the Line 6 Sonic Port VX (http://amzn.to/2vlIvio). This is a USB mic which also has a lightning i/f if you are an iPad/iPhone user. But it also has a pair of condenser mics, a single dynamic mic as well as a guitar interface (should you ever get a guitar with a pickup) and an aux in if you want to add drums or keys.
Martin LX1E, TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, Laney AH4x4, Focusrite iDock

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 04:34:42 pm »
If you want the best quality of recording acoustic guitar solo, then you will need a matched pair of mics set up in an X-Y pattern. Condensers will probably be best for this but they tend to be expensive.
I disagree. Although I currently have two sets of the same mics, none are matched.

Having said that, you can get great results with just a single microphone.

However, you can do some cool pseudo-stereo set-ups with two mics to make it sound larger.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 01:59:45 pm »
Personally, I prefer using an interface. I'd get one with at least two inputs, even if you only start with one mic. Later you can add another mic.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App