Author Topic: Help with action on strat!  (Read 337 times)

Offline dmike03

• Good Vibes 0
Help with action on strat!
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:09:35 am »
I bought a Squier SE strat at my local pawn shop. The problem is when I lower the action to what I like, almost every note above the 12th fret either has that pinging sound or just completely frets out. Everything below the 12th fret is just right. So the only to play it is to raise the action so high, it's unbearable to play!

Looking down the fret board, it looks completely flat. I don't see any bow in it. And even if I wanted to adjust the truss rod, I can't, it's striped out. So does anyone have any suggestions of what I might be able to do to fix it? Or is it a waste of time? I mean I only paid $100 for it. So is it worth putting money into, or should I just find another guitar?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
Re: Help with action on strat!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:23:42 am »
Sound like the previous owner has been trying to set it up themselves, and has stripped the truss rod messing around with it. That's why it was in a pawn shop. You need to take it to a tech at a music store or two and get opinions.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 03:27:20 am »
When you say stripped out, is there a nut still in there to turn or is it missing?

If it's missing, you may get lucky and just go buy a nut and screw it on.

You can find necks for cheap that will fit. Lots of them from China or you can find overstock stuff at GuitarFettish. Ebay

http://tinyurl.com/ybmkbh86
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline dmike03

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:58:28 am »
The nut is still there. And from what I can find on the internet is it takes a 3/16 allen wrench. But it just spins freely when I try!

I might look into buying a new neck, but I've never changed one before. Not sure if I would end up with another problem!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:32:49 am »
You could sell it for parts ...

body
pickguard
etc
Or a 'loaded body' with pickguard, trem, bridge etc all attached ... just sell it without the neck.
Get a different guitar. It's hardly worth investing in a replacement neck tbh.

Offline dmike03

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:22:34 pm »
You could sell it for parts ...

body
pickguard
etc
Or a 'loaded body' with pickguard, trem, bridge etc all attached ... just sell it without the neck.
Get a different guitar. It's hardly worth investing in a replacement neck tbh.

That never crossed my mind. Maybe not a bad idea though!

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:07:13 am »
Does the entire nut spin? Meaning are you sure the wrench fits. Don't go by what teh Internet says it should be.

Based on what you have said, it probably is but it could be the nut is stripped out.

As to the neck.

You would unbolt the old one. 4 Screws.

Install new on. Run a drill bit the size of the holes in the body and allow it to mark the back of the neck.

Then get a drill bit that matches the shaft size of the screws... not the wider threads just teh central shaft.

Wrap tape around bit so you only drill so deep. Drill 4 holes.

Screw on new neck.

That's really it.

But parting it out is an option too. Then just start over and hope you don't buy another problem.

You either need to decide you are going to lean to fix guitars or not. If you don;t wnat to learn that stuff, just sell it off adn let that be a lesson learned.

Generally speaking.... pretty much across the board. If the guitar doesn't play to your liking right then and there, then it probably has issues.

Noises
Funky action
No tonal control
Pickups don't seem to be doing what you expect

None of that stuff is a simple as flipping a switch to another position. It all takes parts and work and you need to buy those things real cheap.

It's not hard to learn. A soldering iron and drill will get real far.

Here is probably what you are dealing with....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkhgiQ2CDcE

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Get The Forum As A Mobile App