Author Topic: David P's Road Case  (Read 19250 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: David P's Road Case
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2019, 09:26:14 pm »
Well said Alex.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2019, 10:48:22 pm »
Alex, what can I say. I don't feel I'm special, just a member here like a good many others, living the dream. Part of a mutually supportive group, learning and encouraging together, trying to put as much into this Community as I get from it. That said, do appreciate you reading my RC, taking time to reply and if it inspires and encorages folk here, that's a real bonus.

Thank you, my friend.

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2019, 12:27:53 am »
You're welcome, and don't ever change.   

You're correct we do a mutually supportive group full of great people.   I just put the spotlight on because your road case is an outstanding read, and there's no hiding the
man you are.   
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2019, 03:49:49 am »
Yeah Alex well said!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2019, 05:17:01 am »
Alex nailed it! Not many people as cool, thoughtful, friendly and supportive as @DavidP. A true inspiration as a human being and a musician. I can't say enough good things, to be honest. 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2019, 08:21:43 am »
Goodness me ... not quite sure where to put myself now.  :-[

You are all incredibly generous and kind. 

I do my best to show up here in the Community, in my Toastmasters at work and at home in this way.  And hopefully am who I aim to be more often than not.

And have to say that the 4 of you who've commented now are all equally supportive and encouraging in my experience.

I guess all I can and should say is simply ...

Thank you

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2019, 05:08:10 pm »
Quick as a flash, 8 months whizz by and an update is quite over due.  Every time I thought about posting one update, something else was just around the corner ... guess there's a lesson in that  ;)

So it has been another period full of fun and learning and some big milestones.

On the learning/playing front, I started on the first couple of patterns of the Advanced Folk Fingerstyle module.  I always started focussing on the 1/16 note strumming but quickly became absorbed by the finger-picking.  Who would've thought that the element of the BC that I feared the most would become one of my favourite things.

The crux of course, is to be able to play songs using the technique.  And despite some suggestions, I never latched onto a song as I begand to make progress.  Then came the first contest of 2019.  I had planned to enter the original I was working on at the time.  Inspired by the rocking original tunes that LBro produces, I wanted to record something different to my usual style.  But that song, which became a lament about the state of the world with more echoes of Black Sabbeth (to my ears) than perhaps the AC/DC-esque sound I was originally thinking about, didn't fit the contest theme.

So I decided to write an orginal.  You can check it out here if you missed it and the backstory as to how it emerged.  https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=45188.msg402644#msg402644

Subsequently just posted up the hard rocker in AVOYP.  Again, if you missed it you can check it out here https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=45220.msg403019#msg403019

While I was busy loving the picking, Maggie posted a rendition of We Are Going To Be Friends.  For me that is an all time great song, just everything about it.  But sounded way beyond me.  Maggie encouraged me, to try it.  That shows the power of the support and encouragement from friends here.  She had more confidence in my ability and capacity to learn than I had in myself, but with her encouragement I gave it a go and eventually was able to learn to play it.  It is one of my favourite recordings now.

By the time I was ready to record that I'd also decided to try making videos, rather than just audio only recordings.  Turned out to be not too tricky to do ... to record the audio the way I always do, strip the audio from a video recorded with a phone and sync up the audio rendered from my DAW with the video.  I had posted a couple of videos before, so had a YT channel, and have now posted a few videos.

Here's a link to the channel ... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

I am blessed to have a wife, Lesley, who is also musical and able to play.  We began to play a little together, one thing led to another and we recorded a first song together as a duo.  I really am a fortunate man to be able to play music with my wife.  And again, if you missed that ... https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=45518.msg406780#msg406780

Most recent milestone was to play at an Open Mic.  A few people had listened to my recordings and watched the videos and were encouraging me to take this next step, that I was ready.  Previously I'd looked for such opportunities and not found any.  But searching again, I finally found just the right opportunity.  TJ's Acoustic Music Club puts on regular shows, at which they invite people to play but once a month they have an open mic event. 

So I went along to have a look see.  Just a recce, so to speak.  Long story short ... the music was wonderful.  People all above my play-grade.  But the organisers were encouraging.  Told me not to worry about that and just to come along and give it a go.

So I did.  I have to say that of all the steps taken since starting on the adventure, this was certainly the most scary.  We talk often about the red light syndrome ... how you play fine until you press record.  Well, when I stepped up I new this was a one shot deal ... there's no take two.  I got through it, with only losing my way once.  Importantly, I was able to just keep playing.  This is an important lesson I think ... just keep going ... get back on track.  And at an Open Mic, the audience was just supportive so no issue, no criticism. 

Make sure you have water handy ... who knew a m outh could become that dry.  Between songs I could feel the shaking and tension in my arms, the tightness in my chest and shortness of breathe.  But somehow, once I started to play, it was OK.  And when it was over, I felt on cloud 9 ... pumped up.

You'll find videos of the 4 songs on my YT channel.

I went back a month later and did it again.  It went better.  So now I am hooked on performing :)

The other big news in this time period is how I am setup to record here at home.  Lesley's Mom was staying with us.  It was a blessing and pleasure, although demanding as she aged and became frail.  And it also meant that the PC was setup in my son's room.  She passed away earlier this year ... sad but a blessing and relief, both for her and us at the time. Since then we have converted her room into a room for the PC, to record and in time for Lesley to sew.

I mentioned how blessed I am ... well, another of Lesley's abilities is wood-working.  She made up a desk with a shelf for the PC.  GAS struck at I acuired some Yamaha monitor speakers.  And, again long story short, and let the pictures speak ... we now have a room all set up ... as for today :)

It was my pleasure, to treat her to an early birthday present on Saturday ... the ukelele that joined our guitar collection.

I think that is all the major happenings in the last 8 months.  There have been a number of other recordings along the way, while working the finger-picking.  All posted on AVOYP and still up on my SoundCloud.  If you are curious, you can give those a listen here https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685

As always, thank you to every person here, Justin's lessons and this Community truly is a wonderful way to learn to play, pursue your dreams, make friends, have fun.

Keep picking and strumming, rocking and rolling !!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2019, 05:33:58 am »
Great addition to your story, DP! What a thrill it must have been, and good to hear that you went back and did it again. Sounds like a very supportive community of players there.

Sorry to hear about your Mother-In-Law, that's a tough loss for a family. Our parents are all gone now and it doesn't get any easier. Thoughts and well wishes to you and yours.

I like what you did with your music room. When you walk into the room it's hard not to pick up a guitar and play at least for a few minutes. My room is getting there, brown couch and all. That desk is really nice as well, good to have a woodworker and music partner in the house. :) 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2019, 05:54:49 am »
Thanks very much, Clint.

Now I walk into the music room and have good memories of Mom. My father is still with us. He is 91 and the years and some illnesses have caught up with him. It's a hard gig, the final stretch.

You summed the rest up perfectly, nothing more for me to say  ;)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2019, 06:47:14 am »
Hi David,
You have come a long ways David and the music room is looking grand. It is great you have a place to spread out in now and call a studio.... sorry but "sewing room" does not excite me.

Was going to ask, what brand and model is the bass? I have a Peavey bass I snagged for $100 and it looks very similar...

Your wife's woodwork is more exciting to me and the items I can see in the pics look great. She did a nice job on those.

All my best in what comes next and keep rocking!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2019, 07:08:03 am »
Hi David,
You have come a long ways David and the music room is looking grand. It is great you have a place to spread out in now and call a studio.... sorry but "sewing room" does not excite me.

Was going to ask, what brand and model is the bass? I have a Peavey bass I snagged for $100 and it looks very similar...

Your wife's woodwork is more exciting to me and the items I can see in the pics look great. She did a nice job on those.

All my best in what comes next and keep rocking!
LB

Thanks LBro.

The bass is an Ibanez GSR200.  In the sunburst finish that we both favour ... can't fathom what came over to buy the Epi LP in blue  ;D

Lesley has so much ability when it comes to woodwork, actually handiwork in general.  She welds.  And that less exciting sewing.  Her next adventure will be into leather-work.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2019, 09:26:01 pm »
Music room is looking so great David, nice to have it all set up ready to play. And kudos on playing at a 2nd open mic. Should we be looking forward to your first album sometime soon??? :)
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2019, 11:53:10 pm »
What a great update and excellent pics of your music room.   I'm glad I didn't see any strange smoking implements laying around,  I know what you rock and roll kids are like!     
Seriously though,  Lesley does woodwork?  David I'm pretty sure I may have said this before,  but once again,  you sir are a lucky man.   
I look forward to continuing on this journey with you David and here's to another chapter of musical discovery! 

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2019, 04:09:16 pm »
Music room is looking so great David, nice to have it all set up ready to play. And kudos on playing at a 2nd open mic. Should we be looking forward to your first album sometime soon??? :)

Thanks Mari.  I'm enjoying the room.  Finished the mix of her duo version of Killing Me Softly in the room and I am convinced (shall keep telling myself this) that the final mix is better for having mixed on both monitors and headphones.

My plan is to perform at the Open Mic once a month.  The challenge it presents is sure to be continued for continued improvement.

As for the album ... well, don't know about that :)  Perhaps need a few more originals and then maybe.  Plenty of folk here to give me pointers on that final step.  But I've learned ... never say never  ;)

What a great update and excellent pics of your music room.   I'm glad I didn't see any strange smoking implements laying around,  I know what you rock and roll kids are like!     
Seriously though,  Lesley does woodwork?  David I'm pretty sure I may have said this before,  but once again,  you sir are a lucky man.   
I look forward to continuing on this journey with you David and here's to another chapter of musical discovery! 

Thanks Alex, my "rock 'n roll" days are left far behind me now.

I am so blessed.  Lesley does woodwork, like to turn on a lathe as well and knows how to weld, which can be handy.  Had to that the fact that she plays wonderfully by feel and has an angel's voice ... hmmm.  Seriously, I often think better than I deserved (back then in those rock 'n roll days when we met).

Get The Forum As A Mobile App