Author Topic: David P's Road Case  (Read 12079 times)

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: David P's Road Case
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2018, 05:21:05 am »
I'm looking forward to listen to your rolling stones covers David P

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started  IM February 22, 2016
Finished BC January 25, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-601635174

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2018, 07:50:58 am »
I'm looking forward to listen to your rolling stones covers David P

Thanks Rolandson.

I'm looking forward to being able to some more, other than As Tears Go By. I've been dabbling with Ruby Tuesday and Dead Flowers. Ultimately, something like Honky Tonk Woman or Brown Sugar in an open tuning. Or Wild Horses with 1/16 note strum pattern. But I reckon quite a few more Road Case updates before that happens. :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2018, 08:50:48 am »
... something like Honky Tonk Woman ... in an open tuning.

Check out phx1973's cover with standard tuning / strummed chords for an idea to play it in an immediately accessible way.
G Major
A Major
D Major
E Major
... plus some embellishments

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2018, 01:00:53 pm »
Check out phx1973's cover with standard tuning / strummed chords for an idea to play it in an immediately accessible way.
G Major
A Major
D Major
E Major
... plus some embellishments

That's a good idea, Richard. I thoroughly enjoyed Tosh's rendition.

Same chords as Dead Flowers.

Struggle a bit to get a good rhythm and feel on these songs.  But given the musicians involved that's not surprising as I think they have something special going.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »
Another big week to remember as I approach my 2nd JustinGuitarversary.

Firstly, I played 4 songs for a live audience.  I described that here so shan't repeat .... https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=32477.msg395182#msg395182

Today I visited my work friend, Alida, who recorded some backing vocals for Song For Lesley. She and her husband are experienced musicians, who used to do the two man band over backing tracks thing as semi-pros. She plays bass, he plays guitar and both can sing. They have a room kitted out with a mixer/PA system,  speakers and a full drum kit plus a bass amp.

I arrived and added my amp to the mix. All singing done through the PA to have any chance of being heard over 2 guitars and a bass  ;) Wonder what the neighbours thought, as it was pretty loud. Must say playing the electric loud was fun, though not easy. So kept the tone pretty clean. All were quite impressed with the sound produced by the Blackstar.

The afternoon was spent playing songs. Some from my repertoire and others that I know but hadn't played before. Trying to remember the progressions plus get changes and feel on the fly, song after song was a challenge.  I can concur with all who've said playing in a band will really accelerate your learning. I struggled a fair amount, but was never totally lost and at times it all sounded not too bad.

Couple of highlights ....

Hotel California. Not the typical 3 or 4 chord tune I usually play plus strumming that is more than my usual chugging away with Old Faithful or similar. And to be playing rhythm with the bass and hearing the solo over the top, just like off the record.  Well it felt proper.

Cortez the Killer. Duncan opted to play drums for this one. Singing and playing with live bass and drums, need I say more. Only thing better would've been to have Duncan cloned and playing a lengthy solo at the end.

Rocking in the Free World. I ended up just singing over those classic rock riffs. Getting the feel right at times on that was a kick.

All in all a fabulous afternoon hanging out and playing. Much talk about next time ....

What can I say ....

Rock on !!!!!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2018, 11:14:16 pm »
Loud applause, cheering, high-fives ..... whaaa hooooo David.  :) 8)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2018, 08:11:56 am »
David

Sounds like a really good session. No doubt much to learn and expand on but a great experience. Are you going to make this a regular jam session, as it will certainly accelerate your skills ?

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2018, 08:48:56 am »
Loud applause, cheering, high-fives ..... whaaa hooooo David.  :) 8)

Thanks Maggie

David

Sounds like a really good session. No doubt much to learn and expand on but a great experience. Are you going to make this a regular jam session, as it will certainly accelerate your skills ?

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Hoping so, Toby. 

It sure did drive home the point how different it is to play electric, riff-based rock is to my usual strumming, fire-side acoustic playing is.  Pretty much playing a different instrument :) 

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2018, 03:30:53 pm »
DP, you're living the dream. Playing good music live with cool people is the best. The muscle memory kicks in and it's so cool to focus on "being in the moment." And if someone digs what you're doing, it's the ultimate. I always come away re-energized after playing live with other people at a get together.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2018, 03:36:51 pm »
Your so right Clint ... though in my case those muscles still have much to learn :)  Participating in a rock jam, rather than acoustic sing-along was a fantastic new experience.  As for dreams, my musical life has now well surpassed the dreams I had 2 years back.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2018, 05:42:17 pm »
Really happy for you, David! It like you had a similar experience as I when I first joined a band. It was beyond great!

And I do agree on playing riffs on an electric is another ball game compared to strumming away.
Both has their own place in a band setting, but one must be aware that that are completely different animals.

I hope you will have the opportunity again, and again and again. It is highly addictive and does wonders to your playing. Both guitar wise and your general musician ship will benefit greatly.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2018, 05:49:04 pm »
Really happy for you, David! It like you had a similar experience as I when I first joined a band. It was beyond great!

And I do agree on playing riffs on an electric is another ball game compared to strumming away.
Both has their own place in a band setting, but one must be aware that that are completely different animals.

I hope you will have the opportunity again, and again and again. It is highly addictive and does wonders to your playing. Both guitar wise and your general musician ship will benefit greatly.

Thanks Jesper.  Sounding promising that we'll do it again.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App