Author Topic: David P's Road Case  (Read 12015 times)

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
Re: David P's Road Case
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2018, 04:27:49 am »
Hey there,

Decided to post this here as I do consider it a success story ... another moment I never imagined when I started the BC on 16 Dec 2016.  As it is not a full performance I decided not appropriate for AVOYP.

Oh and seeing as I nagged Rick about singing, which he has more than delivered and he asked about a video of me, I felt obliged to post it once I had it.  I think it was you, Rick, if not apologies  :)

I don't feel ready to perform for an audience but when I knew I'd have time on my hands I thought I could play for myself and if anybody paid attention, then so be it.  A colleague enjoyed a few of the songs and recorded a couple of clips on his phone.

I'm still getting over some of the facial contortions  :o  me and that 

So careful what you ask for Rick, here it is ....

Hi David. Only stumbled on this now. I enjoyed it and agree with others that your in-person performance adds a further positive dimension to your playing and singing.

So... beware of the Groupies.

which A very smooth performance.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2018, 05:44:40 am »
Hi David. Only stumbled on this now. I enjoyed it and agree with others that your in-person performance adds a further positive dimension to your playing and singing.

So... beware of the Groupies.

which A very smooth performance.

LOL ... you on a roll with laugh-inducing posts :)

Thanks Barend.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2018, 09:00:34 am »
Time for another update.  It's been another 3 months that include some major milestones.

I have continued with the same practice routines focused mostly on finger-picking and scales.  Since the last update I recorded a version of House of the Rising Sun, singing and finger-picking https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/house-of-the-rising-sun-20181020

Continuing in the vein of recording songs that could be played through in a single take, even if not recorded with a first single take, I recorded Dylan's The Times They Are A Changing https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/times-are-a-changing-20181021

But the big steps forward here are the producing of my first two originals.  The first Song For Lesley was entered into the Community Contest and I was fortunate to win the Contest ... a dream come true https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/song-for-lesley-180829

The second Dear Johnny Blues was a simple 10 bar minor bluesy tune that featured rhythm double-tracked, one played with my acoustic and the other with the resonator, which made it interesting.  I also included a guitar lead https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/dear-johnny-blues-20180923

Speaking of lead, when I was away in the South Sudan on business, I spend spare time on music theory and have mad a start on Grade 3.  I am now at the point there and in the Beginner Course, where the focus shifts from learning the scale patterns to trying to make some music.  Or as Justin would say, using the scale alphabet to make up words and string those words together to say something musical.

So when Omar posted a first backing track to kick off a weekly jam, I decided the time was right.  Since the first post I have now recorded a jam every weekend for 5 consecutive weeks.  Posting the jam involves getting the track into the DAW, studying the relevant scales, some exploration to develop some feel for the time, rhythm and harmony to be able to produce something melodic that sounds good.  When I returned from South Sudan I downloaded Justin's backing track in G.  But trying to use the letters from G maj to say something was beyond me ... the track just seemed so "busy", couldn't make sense of it.  A month later and my latest jam was over that track.

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-1-20190929
https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-2-20181007
https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-3
https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-4
https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-5-20181027

This shows that with a combination of theory study, practical application and doing it regularly ... which for me was weekly, not even daily ... progress can be made.

And apart from all that, I have to say that playing lead over the backing track, expressing myself in what I play and the tones I choose, is great fun and somehow makes me feel more of a musician than playing covers does.  Not that playing covers isn't fun, it is and I will continue.  But this addition plus writing a couple of songs, has been another giant leap forward.

And lastly, I shared in detail about my experience with Justin, so won't repeat that, it's here https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42493.msg392477#msg392477 

Can only say what an amazing experience it was and gave me a the confidence to take a step forward into starting with the IM.  According to Justin my E and A barre chords are already looking good, as a Beginner moving into Intermediate.  So I've started work in a deliberate, disciplined way on 1/16 note strumming.

We also discussed this matter of "talent" and long story short, agreed that for greatest majority it is about study and practice.  I don't consider myself talented, if I were then surely back in 1984 when I was shown the basic open chords and some songs I would have mastered playing them and sounding good.  But I didn't.  But in the last 22 months, through study, practice, playing songs and recording I have been able to play a range of songs OK, write a couple and play some lead. 

If I can, you can ... so dig in, have fun and make music

:) 

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2018, 09:31:37 am »
David, what you’ve done is an inspiration to anyone who comes new to the forum in fact anyone!
In my opinion it deserves the recognition of being made a ‘sticky’ or pointed out clearly to newbies so that they don’t miss it!
So very well done, kudos to you and good vibes!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2018, 10:44:59 am »
David, what you’ve done is an inspiration to anyone who comes new to the forum in fact anyone!
In my opinion it deserves the recognition of being made a ‘sticky’ or pointed out clearly to newbies so that they don’t miss it!
So very well done, kudos to you and good vibes!

You're too kind, Darrell.  I really do feel that I am just one of many here, just maybe more talkative than most  ;D 

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2018, 10:57:14 am »
A fantastic and comprehensive update David.
And yes, inspirational.:)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2018, 02:10:34 pm »
A fantastic and comprehensive update David.
And yes, inspirational.:)

Thanks Richard ... it is hugely gratifying to think that maybe I can offer just a little inspiration to others, sharing the inspiration I have received from so many here.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2018, 03:02:09 pm »
You're the real deal, @DavidP! First and foremost you are an inspiration as a person. You keep taking your music to the next level. It's been a lot of fun hanging out with you here. 8)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2018, 04:52:32 pm »
You're the real deal, @DavidP! First and foremost you are an inspiration as a person. You keep taking your music to the next level. It's been a lot of fun hanging out with you here. 8)

The feeling is totally mutual, Clint.  I'd say we are all here, sharing and learning together!

Offline Rufusragatip

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2018, 01:37:48 pm »
Hi,

To be half as good as that after 22 months would be a dream come true and the icing on a big bun.
BUN I said!

Way to go, David. Awesome.

Kind regards,
Rufus
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2018, 02:38:58 pm »
Hi,

To be half as good as that after 22 months would be a dream come true and the icing on a big bun.
BUN I said!

Way to go, David. Awesome.

Kind regards,
Rufus

Thanks Rufus, appreciate that.  Pretty sure you can do much better than "half as good" so make mine a chelsea (bun)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2018, 12:17:02 am »
If I can, you can ... so dig in, have fun and make music

You more than have David. You're an asset to this forum.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2018, 03:25:27 pm »
You more than have David. You're an asset to this forum.

Thanks ever so, Maggie ....

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2018, 03:48:53 am »
Hi David.

Great to witness your focused and systematic approach to assimilate and then apply Justin's material.

I can see that music will be a major source of enjoyment and form of expression for you. Keep it up!

I have comittted to learn the major scales and fretboard by heart. I am doing a daily (low effort) 10min memorising session, with the idea to stick at it until it is part of me. . I have not read Justin's grade 3 theory yet. Will go and have a look.

Cheers.
B

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2018, 05:02:03 am »
Thanks Barend.

Good for you on concentrating on learning the fretboard ... my learning of that is much less structured, more a byproduct of using scales :)

I was driving in the other day and realised that one thing was overlooked in the RC update.

I was refreshing my memory using SoundCloud uploads, so never mentioned our collaboration which was posted in YT ... a significant oversight, that needs rectifying ...

The collaboration with Barend was another leap forward.  I discovered how much is involved when stepping up from a solo multi-track project to a collaboration.  As always, I learned a lot, had great fun and was well pleased with the final result.  It was released as a video in order to offer translation of the lyrics as well as fine opportunity to share some of the beauty of Barend's home city, Cape Town.  If you missed it, here's the link ...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App