Author Topic: David P's Road Case  (Read 2058 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
David P's Road Case
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »
Hey there,

I've read so many of your Road Cases.  I love the stories, the journey, the gear.  So I decided that it was time I also started a Road Case.  Before the dream to play the guitar was born, came the love of music.  So I decided to start my Road Case there ... I guess a bit self indulgent as a novice ... if I was Keith Richards people would be interested and one might make a documentary ... oh yes, he did ... Under the Influence which is worth a watch.  Be that as it may, my story begins at age 9, living in Rickmansworth, England, 1974 ...

The first song I remember loving was ABBA's Waterloo.  I taped it off the TV to play on a small red cassette player.  Closely followed by Paper Lace's The Night Chicago Died and Spark's This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Both of Us.

And just as TV's Top of the Pops show became interesting, the family emigrated to South Africa, where there was no TV at all.

Music remained big as I became old enough to be entertained by my parents and their record collection, mostly jazz with a little folk.  I remember Cleo Laine as a favourite, guitarists like Ike Isaacs and Tal Farlow, big band of Benny Goodman (with Charlie Christian), Oscar Peterson, Modern Jazz Quartet and Django Reinhardt with Stephane Grapelli and the Hot Club of France.  And among all this ... The Beatles ... the Red and Blue double album compilations. Plus the local radio station.

A chance conversation with a school mate midway through high school led to him making me cassettes of things he felt I really ought to listen to.  I still remember those first cassettes ... Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Supertramp Breakfast in America, Pink Floyd The Wall, Queen Night At the Opera, Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood.

Eventually my mother tired of the terrible quality and so the first vinyl LPs were acquired ... along with the license to use the HI-FI.  Night At The Opera was the first and somehow, I forget, Deep Purple Made In Japan the second.

By the time I went away to university I had a small tape collection.  There I shared a room with a fellow who had an enormous (at least 100, seemed enormous) collection.  The next year I had my own room and he got a new room mate ... who had a guitar, played the harmonica at the same time etc etc etc.  I loved to listen and watch but no desire yet ...

And that's enough for now ...

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
Re: David P's Road Case
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:15:11 pm »
It's a shame Top of The Pops stopped. It was a Thursday night ritual, sitting down in front of the telly watching all the hits from that week. I'm all for progress and MTV was a great thing, but it was the beginning of the end for me. On one hand music being so accessible and instantly downloadable was a good thing, I had 1000s of songs on my hard drive. Now I've done away with it all cos I hark back to the days where you got that slice of vinyl from the shop and devoured every inch of the cover on the way home. You just don't get that excitement with a downloadable track.

Great story David, it took me back to my own childhood there, but ABBA??? Lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 09:26:30 pm »
Great story David, it took me back to my own childhood there, but ABBA??? Lol
:)

But I was only 8 years old at the time.

And to be fair they did create some pretty good pop back in the day....think I'd take them over some of the teen idols of more recent times....

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:27:34 pm »
:)

But I was only 8 years old at the time.

And to be fair they did create some pretty good pop back in the day....think I'd take them over some of the teen idols of more recent times....
Yeah I'd take anything over the manufactured pop of today

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:40:00 am »
Yep, I'll own up to having Abba on my iPod.

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:03 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about Abba in the old music library, well they aren't my cup of tea, but there is no denying they are talented songwriters! I can hardly compare anyway, my first owned record was Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr. So hardly a trafk for comparison (albeit an unashamedly fun song). My musical journey went from stregnth to stregnth, Ray Parker Jr. matured into Bobby Brown and then to Janet Jackson (so was getting better), then 1989/1990 came around and I heard some stuff off ...and justice for all, I was pretty much a rock/metal convert ever since. That said I grew up in a household with quite an eclectic mix of genres. Mom loved Motown and Classical in the main (but did enjoy Madness) and Dad loved 70s "glam" rock but he also introduced me to Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel. I guess I was too young in the early 80s to appreciate these artists at the time but they have made a big difference in my life as I've matured.
I went through the usual rebellious musical stage of my teens thinking only music I listened to was any good and only in the rock/metal genres but thankfully that was beaten out of me pretty quickly. I find myself listening to a lot more these days and my tastes are more like my folks as I age... not exactly a bad thing:)
I noted other comments talking about the saturation of music channels/sources and I kind of agree, I used to love watching MTV when it was 1 channel, and I'm not sure MTV can even claim the name anymore (given the total lack of music on there). Nothing like having physical media sitting on a shelf where you can physically show off your love of music.
A good post!

Sent from my SM-G925F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:56:43 am »
My biggest influence was my older brother. He's 14 years older than me, so he introduced me to The Beatles when I was 3. When he left home I started listening to music that my school mates were listening to; Duran Duran, Queen, Wham (yes I had a cheek to mention ABBA), and The Pet Shop Boys. I also listened to Elvis and Buddy Holly because of my dad.
When I was 17 I'd left home and my brother needed a place to stay, so he moved in, along with his vinyl collection. He introduced me to punk and new wave, especially The Jam (This was 9 years after they split). I became a massive fan of The Jam and the whole mod thing. Through The Jam I discovered The Who, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Kinks & The Small Faces. I was also still listening to The Beatles too. Through the 1990s I also discovered Blur,  Oasis and Paul Weller solo, also his other band The Style Council.

A few years ago my daughter's mum bought me a book about The Beatles lyrics. This rekindled my love for The Beatles and eventually I built up a collection of over 140 books on them. With me listening to The Beatles a lot, my daughter who was 3 started singing along. 4 years later and she is also a massive Beatles fan. I've taken on the mantle that my brother passed on to me and I've introduced her to other music too. In those 4 years we have seen The Bootleg Beatles twice, Paul McCartney once and we've visited numerous Beatles sites between London and Liverpool.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:37:19 pm »
Thanks All ... loving this conversation about musical influences  :)

Offline Fox Cunning

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 02:08:02 pm »
Thanks for sharing this, David. Looking forward to reading the rest of the story!
Reminds me that I should update my own road case with more gear and background.

Also, ABBA can't be that bad if even Yngwie Malmsteen covered one of their songs :D

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:15 pm »
Thanks for sharing this, David. Looking forward to reading the rest of the story!
Reminds me that I should update my own road case with more gear and background.

Also, ABBA can't be that bad if even Yngwie Malmsteen covered one of their songs :D
Glad you enjoying it, Fox

Never knew about Yngwire covering Abba ... though I believe Abba songs are often not so simple to play and sing.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »
Never knew about Yngwire covering Abba ... though I believe Abba songs are often not so simple to play and sing.
He sure did :D

Agree they're not the easiest!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:04 pm »
He sure did :D

Agree they're not the easiest!
Thanks for sharing that, cracking stuff ...

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:23:51 pm »
Starting the journey

One Friday night, that second year of Varsity, the old room mate asked me to join him with a group of guys to go watch a movie ... a concert film ... who? ... The Rolling Stones.

I'd heard Satisfaction on the radio back in the school days and Ruby Tuesday (a song for my "want to play that someday" list) and recall a magazine article all about Keith, Anita and drug addiction.  Didn't know much more that but opted to go along anyway ... a change from a night of beer and darts.

Cut a long story short, that film lit the fire.  I woke up the next day and wanted more of the Rolling Stones and to learn to play.  And in particular it was Keith Richards that really got my attention ... just so cool, sitting on the edge of the stage with the bourbon and the connection with Ronnie.

I got my guitar.  As I recall it was a Hondo, which was probably fairly unplayable beyond the 5th fret, such a high action.  The class mate who could play was my guitar tuner, showed me chords and after I'd copied down the lyrics of songs I might want to learn, he'd listen a few times and write down the chords.

As I recall the first songs included Hotel California (starting in Am and OK until the F), Like A Hurricane (why did I keep picking songs with F but had got into NY via the triple album compilation Decade), As Tears Go By (no F but Bm), Jane S Piddy and over time lots more ... most of which I never managed to play with any reasonable measure of success.

And I kind of kept at it on and off for the rest of my time at Varsity.  On the plus side, I did get to grips with F and playing A and G as barre chords ... not the 7th chord since the lift finger would leave a muted string behind.  But never ever open B7 ... that was just impossible ...

After Varsity I did two years national service (that's another story) and at the end of it my girl friend of the time decided I deserved a really proper present ... for getting through the two years and a few other things (yet another story) and she brought me a guitar of much better quality ... not spectacular but way better than the Hondo ... and I don't recall what happened to the Hondo.

There she is ... a Celebrity CC67, obtained in Dec 1988 ...

I continued to try and learn simply by playing through a set of songs but never really felt satisfied with my progress.  There were a few that I considered OK ... Jane S Piddy being one, Hotel California and Like A Hurricane, American Pie but many, many, many more that I could just never get to sound OK, even though the chords were playable.

And so this led to short burst of enthusiasm, quickly followed by frustration and then long periods were the guitar remained in its case.  I moved cities, houses, relationships and through it all the guitar stayed around ... a wish that I believed I couldn't achieve.

In 2006 I worked with a lady who played base in a band etc ... it triggered the familiar pattern.  But somehow I connected with another friend from a previous company who gigged in restaurants.  He gave me a few lessons, introduced me to a metronome and I learned to play Knockin on Heavens Door with (I think) the 'old faithful' strumming pattern.  I stuck at it a few weeks and made progress.  But lessons stopped and practising on my own didn't work so well ... guitar back in the case.

And so it continued until Dec 2016 ...

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:32 pm »
I'm enjoying reading this David, I look forward to the next installment. When I first started learning I had loads of Beatles songs I wanted to play. I have learned to play Eight Days A Week and portions of Blackbird. My list hasn't interested me as much as the stuff I've chosen to learn instead, maybe because subconsciously I don't think I'd be able to do them justice as I'm usually quite critical of anyone covering a Beatles song.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 06:17:35 am »
I'm enjoying reading this David, I look forward to the next installment. When I first started learning I had loads of Beatles songs I wanted to play. I have learned to play Eight Days A Week and portions of Blackbird. My list hasn't interested me as much as the stuff I've chosen to learn instead, maybe because subconsciously I don't think I'd be able to do them justice as I'm usually quite critical of anyone covering a Beatles song.
Thanks Mike

A lot of what I choose to learn happens quite by chance ... a conversation with a friend, a post in this community or just getting curious after listening to a song in the car.

As for The Beatles, listener beware ... I did do a version of Love Me Do sometime ago  :) And played a few in the days before Justin.  Currently, I'd love to play Norwegian Wood and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App