Author Topic: David P's Road Case  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Barend

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: David P's Road Case
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 06:56:30 pm »
Tx for sharing David.... it all sounds very familiar. The urge to create music is what keeps us going... now for getting the skillset to execute.😉 Keep well. B
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:59:30 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 07:38:15 pm »
Hey Barend, how you doing,  been a while since you posted comments and shared a song ....

Offline Barend

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2017, 03:08:25 pm »
Hey Barend, how you doing,  been a while since you posted comments and shared a song ....
Hi David..Nice to touch base. 

Setting up the business...  including studying for what is called the Fsb's RE 1 exam over the last few weeks took its toll. Quite daunting to memorise 220 pages of financial law at ahe 50...

Also, i went for 2 random lessons with a guitar teacher who strongly suggested that i learn all the notes on the fretboard by playing scales fwd and backward from every route position you can find. This is a tough process and not something you can do mindlessly while watching series (which is how i do a lot of my practise..lol).

So all of a sudden the motivation mojo dropped to zero.... 😕.

But i found my way back here checking out stuff, so will get going again soon. I have got the b7 down at around 80pct. So sitting on the dock of the bay should be on here soon.

Great to see you are still going strong!!!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2017, 04:32:19 pm »
Barend,

Hope the exams go well and the business is picking up.

As for the teacher's recommendation ... as a quite a beginner far be it for me to question a teacher ... but having said that ...

I think knowing all the notes on the fretboard is certainly something to work towards but I'd say slowly  :)  Otherwise I can imagine how easily the fun in playing and learning  may drain away.  Justin's Beginner Course goal is to know the notes on the thickest two strings and up to 4th or 5th fret for the rest. At stage 7 of BC start on minor pentatonic at 5th fret and just in that position.  I think the major scale is introduced in the Intermediate Course and no idea how many positions.  Then after IM there is an advanced course titled Mastering the Major Scale.

So I am a firm advocate in follow the BC slowly and steadily  :)

Glad to hear B7 is coming into line and look forward to hearing DotB soon ..

Be well ...

Offline Barend

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:37 pm »
The fun draining away. That's exactly it!

I do tend to want to jump ahead... patience .. slow and steady ☺ with max fun along the road... way better.

Tx for the well wishes re exam / business. I landed my first big client recently, so the wheels are turning. 🤓

What you working on currently?

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2017, 10:18:21 am »
Barend,

Congrats on the client ... may they be the first of many, many more.

As for the "what you working on" ... will assume context is music, rather than profession ...

Minor pentatonic.  I've started adding in a DU per note pattern along with the usual D D D or D U D picking.  Also started with one of those sequence patterns ... 123 234 345 (being the number of the note, not the intervals in the scale)

Also working on a PDUDU pattern for Working Class Hero where P is for Pick the bass note.  Trying the alternating base notes with the hammer-on on the 4th string

Lastly, a blues tune that exercises triplet strumming plus some added notes to turn basic E-shape chords into sus chords.

Oh and 6/8 strumming on Hallelujah chord progression ... wish I could sing and strum in 6/8 but that is proving to be beyond me at the moment.  So will probably produce a version in the right time and overdub the vocal.

That's it for the moment ...

Offline Barend

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2017, 05:12:45 pm »
Wow David. That's a mouthfull!

Context is music for sure.

Is this still as per Justin's lessons? Sounds like you moved on from getting chords under the belt.

I did halleluja with my previous guitar teacher. I was very fortunate with the rythm and singing... managed to play it kind of instinctively after a few tries in the lesson... wish i could say the same for the rest of the skills i am working on 😂.

Look forward to hear the sounds you create with all the above.

Have fun and hope the breakthroughs come sooner rather than later. 😉

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2017, 09:34:21 pm »
Well it sounds a lot more complicated than it is, Barend  :)

The trip-let strumming is stage 5. Then the rest is from stage 7 plus sneaking in a little more on the minor pentatonic from stage 8 & 9 lessons.  So still all Beginner Course stuff.

What is your current focus?

Offline Barend

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2017, 11:13:01 am »
Well it sounds a lot more complicated than it is, Barend  :)

The trip-let strumming is stage 5. Then the rest is from stage 7 plus sneaking in a little more on the minor pentatonic from stage 8 & 9 lessons.  So still all Beginner Course stuff.

What is your current focus?
My current focus is to be more focused..lol

I have a few things going, (learning scales all over neck, Dotb, sound of silence, stand by me, hotel california). 

I decided last night to focus on getting the B7, G7 and C7 finalised. My one minute changes on these are around 60 pm but the quality not good yet.

I also want to record and  post some of the songs i have worked on.

Going to focus less on the scales and notes on the neck

I am constantly drawn between practising new stuff and working to perfect the older.

I have worked out about 4 new songs, very tempted to start them, but only once the 7th chords are in the bag.

Also reading a bit of music theory in between...

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 02:22:07 pm »
 :)

Plan sounds good, Barend.  I've noticed that B7 seems to crop up quite a bit so a lot of mileage in getting it down.

Look forward to hearing some more songs.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App