Author Topic: David P's Road Case  (Read 2597 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: David P's Road Case
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2017, 05:52:10 am »
Hey Troy,

Thanks for reading, listening and for such complimentary feedback.

But mostly, thanks for posting in that way you do that,  that style that brings a smile to my face and a laugh out loud.

As for Hobner...who knows...I know an electric lies ahead and always thought a semi-solid would be my preference.  :)

Maybe I shall check local eBay. That other dude you posted (read yesterday with no time to comment) made it sing so beautiful.

But maybe a tele or an lp style .... who knows. Something in the future for after BC is completed.

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 09:18:49 pm »
David, you're a wonderful storyteller, so I've very much enjoyed reading through your road case. I grew up listening to much of the same music as you, largely influenced by an older cousin. He put me on to Queen, and Elton John, and The Stones, and then I found my way from there to some of my favourites, Breakfast in America, and Rumours, and The Doobie Brothers, and Clapton - tons of great music. My parents weren't big music fans - I listened to a lot of talk radio growing up! - but I did learn a love for Simon & Garfunkel from my dad, and a gem called Mama Tried as sung by the great Everly Brothers (was only about 10 years ago I realized that was a Merle Haggard song!!) The Everly Brothers - Roots, an old 8-track where the time had to be equal so half of one song would play on one track and then the other half would come up next. We've gone back to vinyl now but we'll never go back to those old 8-tracks! And I also have to confess to having listened to a bit of ABBA as well lol.

I listened through a bunch of your sound clips. What a great record of your learning journey! You started off with a good base from your younger years, but I can definitely hear your skills and your confidence improving. I especially enjoyed being able to see you in a video 😃 I need to learn more about recording, so I can do more than hit record on Garage Band on my iPhone, so I also checked out your recordingrevolution.com link. We already have some stuff that we did a bit of recording on years ago, so now I'm going to need to dust it all off and see if I can really figure it out. My problem is time, not enough of it. Gotta figure out how to shift a little more time into making music.

Anyway, quite enjoyed reading through. I'll be looking forward to the next instalment, here and/or AVOYP.

Mari
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 05:57:02 am »
Mari,

What an unexpected, delightful surprise to check in this morning and find your comment here.  I'm so glad you enjoyed my stories and appreciate the acknowledgement of progress.  That acknowledgement is invaluable to keep me well tuned (excused the pun) in terms of my own self-assessment of how I am doing.

As for story-telling, that also is something learned.  I joined Toastmasters in 2006 and have been an active member ever since.  Learning how to deliver a message in a short speech, structuring and delivering as a story or sequence of stories took years, lots of study and feedback ... just like guitar   :)

But as you say, time is the biggest constraint now.  There was that lengthy conversation about the 10,000 hours, natural talent and deliberate practice.  I am a firm believer that if I spent a lot more quality hours in my study and practice, ideally with somebody to provide more detailed specific feedback I'd improve faster.  And it is that which frames ultimately how "good" I may get.  I'm re-reading a Neil Young biography and again it stands out how much effort went into learning to play and write songs.

The same goes for recording.  Graham always says the best way to get better at mixing is to mix more songs.  With time and money I'd love to sign up for his Duelling Mixes programme.

As for the next installment, I'd say it is around the corner.  I am just waiting for the Sep competition to be wrapped up and will then use that as the next milestone.  As I said in one of my responses, it felt like a new and significant high point when I recorded it and the feedback as (gratifyingly) confirmed my6 own sense.

And now (he, winked, putting a tease out) am already busy with the next milestone that I could never have imagined on Dec 16th, 2016 when I commenced the BC.

Thanks again, chat soon ...

Offline Emma-rkr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2017, 04:05:57 pm »
:)

But I was only 8 years old at the time.

And to be fair they did create some pretty good pop back in the day....think I'd take them over some of the teen idols of more recent times....

I love your story/start in to the music world David, it's so cool how you got in to it all!  :)
My parents grew up in the 1980s, so that era of music is my favourite, so many great songs and singers...

And yes I agree with you there, ABBA did some amazing music: Crazy World, Pied Piper, One Man One Woman, etc, etc. I think most singers and groups have their good songs and then the not so good ones :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »
Thanks Em, glad you enjoyed it  :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2017, 10:12:00 am »
September songs and success

Couple of months since my last update and September was a big month for me ... a month to remember and celebrate.

In August and September the Monthly contest returned to an open format. 

In August I had a crack at David Gray's This Years Love.  For the contest I again dabbled with multi-tracks, over-dubbed vocals and use of effects in the DAW.  Let's say the results were mixed  :)  But having spent a Sat producing the contest submission, I decided on Sunday to just do a "live & unplugged" version.  I was quite pleased with how this turned out, a few mistakes but managed to get the time signature feel, a little more dynamics and accents ...

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/this-years-love-live-20170813 

One Sunday morning I was doing what I enjoy doing ... checking out what was new in the JG Community before getting up and into the day ... and there was Mari and her partner playing Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out.  Mari was playing it in the EC Unplugged style.  It sounded great and I wondered if it might be another option to explore to work on the triplet bluesy strumming.

I found some simple chords and surprised myself by being able to fit the vocal into the rhythm pattern (other than occasionally adding an extra half a bar in at one point) relatively quickly.

It is pleasing to feel that I appear at times to be able to learn to play a new song that sounds OK far more quickly than was the case earlier in the year.

Here's my rendition.  One day I intend to be ale to play it like Mari does ... that would be quite delightful.

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/nobody-knows-you-when-you're-down-and-out-20170818

Now in between working on the techniques of stage 5 & 6, I tend to be working on a couple of songs at this point I was concentrating on Tom Waits's Chocolate Jesus.  But as they say, variety is the spice of life.  So some evenings, I end up just flipping through my copies of the BSBs and noodling around with whatever catches my eye.

One particular evening the book fell open on Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl ... hmmm, I thought ... earlier in the year I'd worked on playing the song, one I really enjoy.  I went from struggling with the chords to being able to more or less play along with Justin when he showcases it at the start of the lesson.  But the "pumping 8s" build up was a big problem and just couldn't fit the lyrics in at all ... hmmm, I wonder ...

And on a second play through it was starting to come together ... nobody more surprised than I was, given that I hadn't given it any attention for months.  Anyhow, the tempo is a little slow, the "pumping 8s" aren't really pumping smoothly yet and I did have a moment in the best take where I almost choked myself, but all that aside I shall celebrate my progress as evidenced by being able to play it through in an OK way.

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/brown-eyed-girl-20170902

Back to Chocolate Jesus ...

I'd been plodding away at trying to develop a way to play it that sounded OK.  A bit tricky for the Beginner given that the Tom Waits version is an arrangement that isn't one you can easily try and replicate on your acoustic and, of course, the classic Beth Hart rendition backed by Joe Bonamassa may be awesome and inspirational but not totally educational ..

Again, better cut my long stories short ... finally figured out a way to play it and decided to approach the September contest a little differently ... deliver a "live & unplugged" that was representative of me at my best.  Now that sounds fine, but somehow it was easier to submit entries that were stretch projects, more experimental ... criticism of flaws easy to swallow. 

But this one sounded really good to me ... variation, accents, pauses, even some different chord voicings in the outro ... what if my self-assessment was way off the mark?

Luckily the feedback confirmed my own self-assessment and this rendition serves as my personal best, something that I feel I can play for people with apologising for mistakes and flaws.  And make no mistake, I'll play it for anybody who shows a hint of interest  :)  If you missed it in the contest, here it is ...

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/chocolate-jesus-20170902

And on that note time to sign-off this episode ...

Watch out for the next episode ... the story has taken me to places I never imagined already, but little did I know what was coming next when I uploaded Brown Eyed Girl ....

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2017, 11:04:47 pm »
I really hate the fact that you sing in tune !

The only thing letting you down is your guitar. It sounds awful  :) Get yourself a half decent Hobner and this would be perfect.   :)

Really good job mate.

Troy

"Oh no, it's not a Hofner, it's a Hobner" . WHAATTT !!!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2017, 07:09:01 am »
Thanks Troy

Resisting any resurgence of the costly GAS, so shall have to live with that acoustic  :)

Proud of myself...yesterday got a promo email from the mega guitar store, with a special 1000-1330 time-boxed sale announcement - an extra 20% off everything,  even items already on special. And I knew there was one of those multi fx units with built in looper on special. It was tempting, so tempting. After all, I know I will need one eventually... to enahnce the sound of the Hobner, or whatever pale imitation of an electric I eventually get. But I resisted. Trust in the Force...when the time is right the deals will be there :)

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2017, 12:52:31 pm »
I love the little teasers you leave at the end! And I made it into your Road Case update!!

David, apart from the fact that you are a very entertaining story teller, this is such an interesting read. It's an interesting read now, but for you when you come back to it after some time has passed it will really be incredible.

It's such a nice feeling to be confident about playing a few songs. That leads to more success, and more confidence - and one day we'll both be playing at the level we aspire to 😃 Treasure those personal bests - I certainly am for me! Although I do have to get on with it and try transcribing another one ...

Keep playing!!!

Oh and ps I sent to have been struck with what I hope is just a little bit of GAS - I need a new amp!

Mari

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2017, 02:18:21 pm »
You sure did, Mari ... your rendition of NKYWYDaO was inspirational.  Such a great song and so pleased to be able to play an acceptable version.

Equally glad that you are reading and enjoying the story.  As I've said before, I do this for me as a record but also in the hopes that it may serve as encouragement to other people learning to play.  I don't consider myself to be especially talented or gifted, just love music and have lived the three Ps ... practise, patience & perseverance.   So if I can do it then so can others.

As for coming back, I just realised that this Sunday it will be exactly 8 months since I made my first recording ... that 4/4 version of a single verse of Hallelujah  :)

Now I'm in stage 7 and have been working at little runs and riffs along with the bass note between strums.  And I am able to play the run between the C & G chords Justin plays in his lesson.  So maybe it is just the right time to have another go at Hallelujah ... a version with the little run, actually with the 6/8 feel and a few more verses would be improvement ... even if I again happen to add in/leave out strums  :)

As for aspirations.  Now there's a thing.  At the moment I have no great long-term aspiration.  For now being able to play a song in finger-style seems a sufficiently demanding aspiration ... just to finish and consolidate the BC.  And then the IM, an electric and to be able to do some simple lead playing, like you all are doing for the Oct competition.  After that, well who knows ... given all that has happened in the 10 months ... goodness it is exactly 10 months today ... since I started the BC, things that I couldn't even have imagined let alone thought might be possible, who knows ...

As you say ... we shall just keep on playing.

PS Enjoy shopping for that new amp  8)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2017, 03:52:31 pm »
Going beyond my dreams

October was a month to celebrate in my guitar journey...three big memorable moments.

First up I thought it was time to have another go at Neil Young's Like A Hurricane.  For this go I played and sang simultaneously, at least that way my out of time singing and playing will be reasonably in sync  ;D  using my condensor gives me a track that is both guitar and vocal ... ideally I'd like vocal with a little guitar bleeding in but what I get is way beyond bleed.  At the same time I also record just the guitar using the built-in pickup.  Mixing this track I made some duplicates of the solo guitar, panned hard left and right with some amp sim plugins.  I was aiming to have some of that NY distorted rock sound behind the acoustic.  I was really happy with how the overall song turned out, evening throwing in a couple of melody lines.  Sure, a few missed notes, changes and beats but that's OK.  Here it is in case you missed it ...

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/like-a-hurricane-20171008

But October was really all about the collaboration project ... beyond my wildest dreams and guitar fantasies ...

After posting Brown Eyed Girl, I got a PM from Roman aka Schlaffenwagen ... the master producer and deliverer of many awesome songs made with many different folk.  He liked my cover and suggested a collaboration.

Goodness I thought ... he's losing his mind ... I can't play like the people he produces.  So I politely thanked him and said one day maybe ...

Then I got to thinking ... what would my coach say to me ... what would I say to somebody ... be brave, be bold, trust his judgement.

So cut a long story short we started exploring the idea, picked a song and you've heard the final result ... I was astonished ... https://soundcloud.com/schlaffenwagen/my-my-hey-hey-out-of-the-blue

It has to be said that I am very much the junior in this "band" ... what a treat to be part of this with Roman and Kasper.  I learned a lot and grew a lot through working on a song which had some parts beyond my play grade ... OK, I never managed to play those parts well enough for the final mix but I can play them "badly" which is better than I could play them before ... in due course I shall inflict my David beginner attempt upon a now forewarned community.

I also experienced first hand the wisdom of what [email protected] Revolution says in terms of producing a radio-ready song ... cause my friends tell me this is radio ready.  It is a 6 step process ...

1) Write a good song ... we picked Neil Young's classic ... can't go wrong
2) Arrangement ... this was interesting.  After much discussion we agreed how we'd like to marry NY's acoustic and electric versions into our cover ... making it something different and interesting
3) Record ... getting a quality recording is a challenge, especially acoustic guitar
4) Edit ... I shan't go into the details, but suffice is to say that roman with some help from Kasper did significant work editing the various tracks to ensure a tight performance
5) Mix ... again loads of effort to get that song sounding the way it finally does.  Now I am inspired to try and mix my own vocals to sound at least a little closer to how Roman made me sound
6) Master ... more significant when publishing a number of songs on an album and for different media.

What can I say, this project is a highlight and memory that will stay with me for the rest of my days.

And I can only say, an enormous thank you to Roman and Kasper ... they were special in so many ways.

And I wasn't done for October ...

When I realised that it was approaching 8 months to the day since I made my first recording ... verse 1 plus the chorus of Hallelujah, I though it was time to have another go ... exactly how much have I learnt and improved.

The answer was clear ... enormous.  I've never set any long term goals or had any particular expectation ... just want to be better and be able to say I can play.  I never expected to get into recording and mixing and I have now dipped a toe or two into that ocean.  My ears are also better ... I can hear subtle difference between my straight and mixed versions of the song ... at least in my mind I do.  And after posting it I enjoyed the confirmation of my own opinion from those who listen and share their thoughts over in the AVOYP section of the Community Website.  And being able to throw in some of the walk ups from C to G was cool.

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/hallelujah-20171021-mixed

OK, so still not got the tempo right.  In fact my friend Verna told me that it sounded good but after listening to Bon Jovi's cover something seemed not quite right ... yeah, playing it in 4/4 when the rest of the world plays it 6/8 will do that.  But it's fine ... next time ...

So next episode may reflect on take 3 of Hallelujah.  Back to a fuller arrangement with MIDI tracks, guitar and vocal ... and using the DAW metronome and backing will make sure I play it in 6/8.

Also closer to another blues classic ...

As always, thanks to all of you who listen, comments, read and generally encourage me that I am getting better

Offline MrBumble

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2017, 04:11:02 pm »
Well done David.

As ever you give us something to aspire to. My own aspirations are rather more modest but when all is said and done it's the music that matters and the enjoyment of making and listening to it with friends.

I've enjoyed reading your journey and it gives me great encouragement (one of the wonderful things about this forum is the atmosphere of support and encouragement).

You have also (along with Mari and Wheelin' Rev) inspired mt to put my own Road Case up on here.

Thanks again. 

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 07:22:42 pm »
Thanks for posting your update, David, you're always an interesting and entertaining read - I'd invite you out for a drink to chat some more (okay diet coke for me lol) if you weren't on the other side of the world!  :)

And "Also closer to another blues classic ..." - I'm wondering where that one's headed :) ...

Mari

Offline sdd56

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2017, 09:17:25 pm »
That's a good read David - when you posted your first version of Hallelujah, I marked you down as someone on about the same level as me (apart from the fact you could sing at the same time as playing - a skill which still eludes me).

But you are now streets ahead of me. Although I disagree about Chocolate Jesus being your best - that just has to be your rendition of Jane S Piddy - excellent version.

My excuse is that I don't get much time to practice during the Summer... but I think your natural talent is more likely the reason!

Looking forward to hearing more of your projects.
Stan
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 7.
Yamaha F310 Acoustic, Washburn WD7
Yamaha ERG121 Electric.
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »
MrBumble, Mari, Stan - thanks for reading my Road Case and taking the time to reply.

MrBumble .... I have to say when I started 11 months ago my aspirations were ever so modest, just wanted to see if I could finally begin to learn and stick at it.  But every little step forward opens my mind to another possibility, and as I say, what I think about being possible today is beyond what I even dreamed about when I started.  So stick with it.  I totally agree with your sentiments re making music, enjoying it with friends (my musical friends are all here in the Community) and encouraging each other. And I love the way we all encourage each other.

Mari ... mine is a ... hmmmm .... OK, I am flexible when it comes to drinks and not fussed by what choice others make ... but guess if we are out chatting music and life, perhaps in a quite little place with some live muso strumming and singing some acoustic blues in the background, then mine would be a malt whiskey  :)  On the blues, let's just say your favourite man plays it but I can't play it in that style ... yet

Stan ... I'd say it's all about practice, rather than natural talent.  I don't consider myself to be talented.  Some may say Daniel aka pastie who just posted a version of Layla is talented but then he has probably put in 3-4 times the number hours as I have over a similar period of months.  And he shows how much you can progress with dedicated effort.  I practice and/or play probably 3-4 days a week and now average maybe an hour a session, maybe a little less.  So if you can put in a little more time on a regular basis I am sure you will improve.  And I also found working towards these recording projects serves as a goal to achieve.  And of course the comparisons with others serve little purpose other than maybe to inspire one ... I look at Gareth aka garfield, Pam aka pkbook and Johan aka lofegren finger-picking away and remember back when they were strumming songs much like I do now and think, well if they can do it then so can I!!  Glad to hear how much you enjoyed Jane S Piddy ... I guess you are a Sixto Rodrigues fan  :)  Maybe one fine day I'll try some others that previously were beyond me.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App