Author Topic: David P's Road Case  (Read 2047 times)

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
Re: David P's Road Case
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 07:54:20 am »

Currently, I'd love to play Norwegian Wood and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

There's some good tutorials on YouTube for both of those songs. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is pretty straightforward, a couple of barre chords - F#m, C#m and Bm, but most of the chords are open. I can imagine the solo would be hard though.

My inspiration for the songs I learn is similar. I'll hear a song on the television or a song will pop into my head or I'll be looking at something on YouTube and I'll notice another song and wonder how easy it would be to play. Some songs I'll start and give up, others I stick with

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Tony Grapes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:25 pm »
I'm enjoying reading this David, I look forward to the next installment. When I first started learning I had loads of Beatles songs I wanted to play. I have learned to play Eight Days A Week and portions of Blackbird. My list hasn't interested me as much as the stuff I've chosen to learn instead, maybe because subconsciously I don't think I'd be able to do them justice as I'm usually quite critical of anyone covering a Beatles song.

I grew up in the Bronx N.Y. Having two older brothers who listened to all kinds of music Metal turned out to be my love. At 15 I had a guitar, and suddenly my world changed as my farther passed away. Sold the guitar to pay the rent and never looked back. Sabbath got me trough many dark days as I got lost in the music. I was a sick child spent most of my youth in the hospital. Still it was groups like Floyd Sabbath zeppelin and so on that pulled me through. Funny story, a record store in the Bronx I waited for the new Sabbath album to come out and rushed that day saving my pennies to buy it. I get to the store Harmony was the name of the place, union port road in the Bronx walk in search for the album . Grab it and I'm lost in the awesomeness of the cover. The album tight in my hands walk to the counter and the owner of the store won't sell it to me. Yep tells me I'm to young. Heart broken I leave the store and search for my older brother I was 9 years old at the time. My older brother Henry comes with me he's 14 I was 9 and Henry who is gone now buys it for me, the guy gives him a hard time my brother tells me but Henry was a tuff kid and I watch him through the glass of the store window out the door he comes with my album. I went to catholic school at the time and drew the Sabbath bloody Sabbath album cover inside my note book and my mother was called into the school where she was told I was a devil worshipper. You can't make this up. Imagine that? As to what children today are exposed to. lol I'll never forget those days of waiting for albums to come out. As I look back at the Giants of those bands I am often reminded how lucky we were to be born at that time. To live amongst the greatness of that beautiful sound. Forgive me for my grammar, I never was any good in school. At 54 I bought another guitar five months I'm playing it and this time I will see it through. As a good Catholic boy I must say God bless you all, peace out!

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 01:19:47 pm »

I grew up in the Bronx N.Y. Having two older brothers who listened to all kinds of music Metal turned out to be my love. At 15 I had a guitar, and suddenly my world changed as my farther passed away. Sold the guitar to pay the rent and never looked back. Sabbath got me trough many dark days as I got lost in the music. I was a sick child spent most of my youth in the hospital. Still it was groups like Floyd Sabbath zeppelin and so on that pulled me through. Funny story, a record store in the Bronx I waited for the new Sabbath album to come out and rushed that day saving my pennies to buy it. I get to the store Harmony was the name of the place, union port road in the Bronx walk in search for the album . Grab it and I'm lost in the awesomeness of the cover. The album tight in my hands walk to the counter and the owner of the store won't sell it to me. Yep tells me I'm to young. Heart broken I leave the store and search for my older brother I was 9 years old at the time. My older brother Henry comes with me he's 14 I was 9 and Henry who is gone now buys it for me, the guy gives him a hard time my brother tells me but Henry was a tuff kid and I watch him through the glass of the store window out the door he comes with my album. I went to catholic school at the time and drew the Sabbath bloody Sabbath album cover inside my note book and my mother was called into the school where she was told I was a devil worshipper. You can't make this up. Imagine that? As to what children today are exposed to. lol I'll never forget those days of waiting for albums to come out. As I look back at the Giants of those bands I am often reminded how lucky we were to be born at that time. To live amongst the greatness of that beautiful sound. Forgive me for my grammar, I never was any good in school. At 54 I bought another guitar five months I'm playing it and this time I will see it through. As a good Catholic boy I must say God bless you all, peace out!
Tony,

Moving stories from your life ... we are all blessed by your sharing them.

And a great way to start your own Road Case, to share more of your experiences, the progress you make as you learn more and (of course) gear ... people here to love to look at pictures of guitars, amps and pedals  :)

Thanks for contributing

Cheers
David

Offline sirloin2984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 02:41:39 pm »

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
As much as times have changed and the stuff kids are exposed to these days compared to previous years (a la Lady Ga Ga or Rihanna, lyrics to her song S&M are ridiculous for a released single, no child should be singing along to that),  I very much envy the excitement you would have felt by being able to go and grab a new vinyl and just get lost in Artwork (my Uncle was a huge Maiden fan and I would spend hours poring over the sleeves) before even putting the record on the player. My era (80s) was all about casettes and then CDs... as much as I loved getting new music to listen to, by the time I was old enough to be able to afford it that magic of enjoying the whole package has been lost. Digital music is convenient, hugely so, but it is nothing on being able to handle the record and enjoy how your collection looks on a shelf, if organised properly it looks amazing in any room. Thanks for sharing (and making me a little jealous).

Good luck in your journey, I've not long started mine and god knows I'll need it:)

Sent from my SM-G925F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:17:54 am »
Beginning Justin's BC

In December 2016 I was chatting to a colleague, Daniel, about music in general and somehow the subject of guitar playing cropped up.  I told him my tale, culminating in this unfulfilled dream to play due to my lack of talent. Try JustinGuitar.com he said.

So on 16 December 2016, as I started annual leave with a few weeks of rest and relaxation at home to enjoy, I took out the guitar and looked at the BC.  I decided that I would do it methodically, so started with Getting Started and Stage 1.  I wanted to eliminate bad habits and trusted that the steps laid out in the lessons would work magic if I followed them.

So everyday I played ... 10-15 minutes at first and slowly got back into it.  Then picked up on some of the stage 1 BSB songs.  Three Little Birds, Love Me Do. 

My strategy was to follow on, to play with Justin as he taught the song ... those slow, steady down strums.   A couple of weeks I thought, right ... time to play along with Justin as he plays the song through to intro the lesson ... and I couldn't.  And then a while later I could ... a big moment to play Three Little Birds with Justin.

At that point I decided it was time to pick up on the chords of stage 2 and 3.  I knew these chords from the years before and felt comfortable to work on the basics of rhythm, the foot tapping, strumming with the metronome etc while pushing OMCs and practising songs.

By this time I was back at work and telling Daniel about my progress ... and anybody else who'd care to listen.

I'd also started to browse posts in this Community ... looking at videos, reading feedback about Beginners posts, silently celebrating the progress and slowly started to wonder if I could ever do the same ... 

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 03:44:23 pm »
Hey there,

Decided to post this here as I do consider it a success story ... another moment I never imagined when I started the BC on 16 Dec 2016.  As it is not a full performance I decided not appropriate for AVOYP.

Oh and seeing as I nagged Rick about singing, which he has more than delivered and he asked about a video of me, I felt obliged to post it once I had it.  I think it was you, Rick, if not apologies  :)

I don't feel ready to perform for an audience but when I knew I'd have time on my hands I thought I could play for myself and if anybody paid attention, then so be it.  A colleague enjoyed a few of the songs and recorded a couple of clips on his phone.

I'm still getting over some of the facial contortions  :o  me and that  :P

So careful what you ask for Rick, here it is ....

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 03:53:35 pm »
Yay David! It's so nice to see you! You sound great and look very comfortable. Really enjoyed it.

Lynn

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:26:52 am by close2u »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 06:34:46 pm »
Cool David, way cool and nice to be able to see you ;)
I have a habit of playing in the back garden (on acoustic) when I know our neighbour is out, she's a lovely young teacher and always comes to the fence and tells me I'm playing well - love it ;)
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 03:51:53 pm »
Lynn/Darrell, thanks for taking a look and glad you enjoyed it ... was a tiny anxious moment to post this up, even knowing exactly how supportive all here are ... somehow more scary than just posting an audio ... more personal.  Now I am glad I did  :)

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 04:56:17 pm »
David, I actually think seeing you helped somehow. It definitely didn't hurt. I think your mellow vibe comes through better in the video.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:28:07 am by close2u »

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 05:01:42 pm »
David, I actually think seeing you helped somehow. It definitely didn't hurt. I think your mellow vibe comes through better in the video.
"mellow vibe" ... I'll celebrate that one  8)

Thanks Lynn  :)

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 02:10:39 am »
Yeah, mellow vibe, in the groove, lookin' relaxed and very cooooool  8) Thanks for this David.

Offline DoomedProphet

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 04:10:06 am »
Great job David! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Frontman 15G
Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE
Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 06:08:10 am »
Thanks Batwoman and DoomedProphet ... you all sure can make a man's day :)

"Looking forward to hearing more from you" ... you sure will.  Just no promises as to how much more of you may see ... don't anticipate taking the extra time needed to video my recording sessions and then try to sync the audio after mixing back with the video.

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 02:52:18 pm »
Great stuff DavidP. That's your best recording you've ever done in my opinion. I think you should stick with doing live videos, you look so relaxed and it really comes off in your singing and playing at the same time, it's a lot better. I prefer watching a video of someone singing and playing live than a video or audio where the vocals have been recorded on a different track and then synced with the guitar. So my advice is to scrap the idea of production for now and get stuck into playing and singing live and recording a completely live performance.   

Get The Forum As A Mobile App