Author Topic: Omar's Road Case  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Re: Omar's Road Case
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 11:02:16 am »
Looks great, Omar. Put that man cave into good use.
You now have good basic tools, nothing left but to play it.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
  • I'm stubborn...so is my guitar...
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 11:14:05 am »
Looks great, Omar. Put that man cave into good use.
You now have good basic tools, nothing left but to play it.
Great little studio you've made there Omar. Use it and abuse my friend.

Thank you for your endless support Toby and Jesper I have no excuse not to get better at playing guitar. The main challenge for me is to understand the amp and how to integrate it with the guitar to produce nice tones.

Intermediate Method course is fun; full of challenges. I'll have to finish it before I move to Blues courses. I'll keep this thread updates with my progress.
[BC re-do]
[Road case: http://tinyurl.com/lq6ss3f]

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 11:29:19 am »
Intermediate Method course is fun; full of challenges. I'll have to finish it before I move to Blues courses. I'll keep this thread updates with my progress.

Take your time, Omar.
The Intermediate Course gives you the techniques you need to play in a band. Yes, the blues course is fine, but unless you aim to play in a blues band I suggest to explore what you already know and in a band setting.
Allow your knowledge and skills to settle and root in your playing before plowing on.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 12:15:22 pm »
Take your time, Omar.
The Intermediate Course gives you the techniques you need to play in a band. Yes, the blues course is fine, but unless you aim to play in a blues band I suggest to explore what you already know and in a band setting.
Allow your knowledge and skills to settle and root in your playing before plowing on.

Thanks for the advice, Jesper.

To be honest - after finishing BC - I feel lost whenever I hold the guitar. I'm unable to decide whether to learn songs, learn new techniques, practice scales, etc. However, one thing I know that I should be focusing on mastering electric guitar, but I don't know where to start.
[BC re-do]

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 03:05:36 pm »
begin from the heart?
drop that guitar for a minute an start from the heart.
trace back to the origin of your passion for music.
i'll give you three questions to start with and you can go "mindmapping" from there because each answer will give you something to dig deeper! If you can think of more questions: good! the more the better.
that's when your head gets to play along; to start digging depper and deeper.

what are your favorite songs?
- easy songs? figure these out! look up chords or even better; figure out the chords yourself!
- harder songs? what makes them hard?
- impossible songs? Once they won't be so impossible, figure out what you admire and create a path to that place

Which solo's did you always like?
doesn't matter which songs but figure it out: what kind of "tricks" appear in those solo's? bends? harmonics? tapping? double stops? etc...

Which styles or techniques always appealed to you?
- Fell in love with mark knoflers picking (without a pick) on sultans of swing or money for nothing?
- want to roar like the intro of "master of puppets"?
- want to give that intro of "kashmir" or "seven nation army" a go?
- want to fingerpick the notes to "dust in the wind"?

I believe they call it the socrates method to turn each answer into a new question; 1 question yields many answers and every answer can be split up again...the deeper you go, the more you get to see that every aspect has a MOTIVE (why would you do this song/technique/theory) and a METHOD (how to get there).

This might become overwhelming. therefor you could read up a little about structuring:
define your MISSION: 1 life goal with music.
(my mission is to express myself exactly as I feel like in order to trigger emotion with my music)

which STRATEGIES would you follow to accomplish your mission?
example:
1. figure out which kinds of music allow me to express myself (including singing)
2. develop my technical abilities
3. get a "motor of motivation" going that feeds me endlessly
4. create audiences
5. play in a band
6. create an active "solo gig" set

in each STRATEGY you can fit serval TACTICS
example:
2. develop my technical abilities:
2a. learn the necessary (not all) the theory that has direct and usable impact on my ability to invoke emotion
2b. practice to develop muscle memory
2c. learn basic chords
2d. learn a selection of more advanced chords.

you understand, you will need to define to a certain level of detail to become practical, tangeable, measurable (let's say S.M.A.R.T.) goals.

Keep it realistic (the R in SMART) and to try to learn ALL the scales, chords, techniques but focus on what's needed first.

Think of the PARETO RULE: you'll achieve 80% of your results with 20% of your total effort done.
focus, to start off, on that 20%. typical part when starting out is basic open chords grips. but as soon as you move on, you will notice that barre chords become part of those bare necesseties too.

Your plan isn't fixed; your plan will grow, together with you

my band Point Fifty

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 08:28:13 pm »
@LievenDV I take my hat off to you for such a wonderful post. It would be a good idea if you move it into a separate thread so other benefit from it.

To answer your questions:

I decided to play guitar so one day I be able to play Parisienne Walkways which is insanely difficult for me. By the way, Justin's video lesson of that song was the reason I found Justin courses and the forum.

Also, to answer @Jeorfe, I would love to jam with others and improvise. To play in a band is a long term goal.

I have chosen some songs that would help me acquire some intermediate to advance skills: Creep, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Give Me One Reason and Cocaine.

Creep helps me in E shape barre chords and octaves. SLTS helps me in E & A barre chords in addition to bending and a one string solo. GMOR and Cocaine same as SLTS in addition to rhythm, soloing and an introduction to Blues tones.

Moreover, I aim to be able to improvise on any backing track in any key. I want to sit alone in the room, play any backing track and produce music pleasing to ears.
[BC re-do]

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 11:21:09 pm »
Omar, you sound a bit like me at the moment. Although I've completed the IM course (I still have a few bits I really need to work on), and there's a few songs I'm working on, I've not really got much structure to my practising just now.
The summer months for me are busy work wise, so I usually do fall into just some basic practise, but this year I'm struggling to get back into a good routine. I'm currently trying to have a major clear up and re-organisation, so I can get my recording stuff set up again, with the hope hearing myself played back will give me a good kick to start practising properly again.

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:48:40 am »
Omar, you sound a bit like me at the moment. Although I've completed the IM course (I still have a few bits I really need to work on), and there's a few songs I'm working on, I've not really got much structure to my practising just now.
The summer months for me are busy work wise, so I usually do fall into just some basic practise, but this year I'm struggling to get back into a good routine. I'm currently trying to have a major clear up and re-organisation, so I can get my recording stuff set up again, with the hope hearing myself played back will give me a good kick to start practising properly again.

I'm lacking of organizing a practice schedule and setting SMART goals, as @LievenDV said. Being new to playing music, it is difficult to define a clear strategy, especially with many obstacles you encounter and walls you hit in the beginning of learning.

Good luck my friend :)

[BC re-do]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App