Author Topic: stackpop's roadcase  (Read 2153 times)

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 287
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: stackpop's roadcase
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2021, 07:09:07 pm »
Trish

Sounds like you are making good progress and some excellent advice so far. It is important to consolidate the BC and ensure you have everything down and working well. Only way to do that is to apply it to songs, which you are already doing. Don't worry too much about the singing, took me eons to be able to sing and play, and its still work in progress. If it happens all well and good but don't sweat it.

Move up to the IM when you feel ready.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline stackpop

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2021, 06:52:10 pm »
Quick update. Good news, I've been playing just about every day, sometimes for 2 hours or more. Bad news, it's almost completely been noodling.  ;D - I wouldn't say it's been a waste of time, YouTube keeps suggesting different Justin videos to me and I keep watching them even if they're not what I'm "supposed" to be working on... I'm getting pretty comfortable with power chords, E and A shaped barres, a few scales, and even a few triad shapes. I haven't been practicing songs or doing metronome work like I "should" but I'm getting really comfortable moving up and down the fretboard. Getting loads better at note names/locations by trying to pick out new places on the neck to play different chords. So at least I'm having fun learning some of the more tedious stuff!

ANYWAY - here's a practice schedule I've drawn up based on what I'm consolidating from the beginner course, feedback appreciated. Planning on doing nearly all of this with a metronome

-Warm Up, Finger Stretches and Picking: 5 Minutes
-Practice note names and finding chords: 5 minutes
-Minor Pentatonic Scale: 5 minutes
-Basic finger style: 5 minutes
-Chord Perfect (mostly the B chords including barres): 2 minutes
-1 Minute chord changes (again mostly those tricky B shapes!): 3 minutes
-Rhythm Practice (triplets and 16th notes are tripping me up the most): 10 minutes
-Song Practice (with original if I can, otherwise with song app or metronome): 15 minutes

That's a solid 50 minutes of dedicated practice, then noodling to my heart's content after that
Epiphone Sheraton II, Noname Tele, Marshall MG30DFX

Working on the beginner course after over a decade hiatus :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 222
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2021, 08:29:45 pm »
That sounds a pretty sensible practice routine, don’t forget to learn the different shapes of the pentatonic scales!
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline stackpop

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2021, 07:10:02 pm »
Update: They have us returning to the office for work now, which means I have a commute again. Unfortunately this really cuts into my available practice time. I'm mostly able to play before 7am or after 9pm... living in an apartment that's not too considerate of my neighbors so I get most of my practice in on the weekends. Sadly I've really fallen off "proper" practice and "progressing" during the week and mostly just noodle in 15 minute spurts while dinner is cooking. Even if I'm not progressing and improving as much as I'd like, I still have the joy of making music in my life again, so I'm content with that for now. 

I'm pretty comfortable with most of the material in Justin's Beginner and Intermediate method books (this follows the old method so I know open chords, A and E barre chords, triads on the little strings, basic scales, playing simple chord progressions with a metronome).

I'm still struggling to play along with a recording, but I've stuck with it so I can now manage for simple or slow songs (Feelin' Alright, Yellow Submarine, Chasing Cars... Johnny B Goode is still tripping me up. I can play the rhythm part alone no problem, I think maybe because every instrument in the arrangement is loud it's hard to play with the song?).

There are a few scales I can play up and down the neck, unfortunately I'm not quite making the connection on how to make licks out of them that sound musical. I'm sure Justin has some lessons on this I just haven't progressed to yet and it will make more sense in time.  I'm still getting better at naming notes as I play the scales as well picking accuracy so I know it's not been a complete waste.

On a more exciting note, I have saved some money and am considering buying myself an American Strat for my birthday next year, but I'll be making a separate post about that in the gear section 8)

TL:DR - Limited practice time due to not working from home anymore; rhythm skills improving but still not the best. Haven't figured out how to play lead guitar yet. Would classify myself as an "advanced beginner" since I know most common chords, a few scales, and can play simple songs. Feeling really encouraged looking at my old posts and seeing some of the things I used to struggle with are now easy.
Epiphone Sheraton II, Noname Tele, Marshall MG30DFX

Working on the beginner course after over a decade hiatus :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 03:52:18 am »
That's just how it goes, Trish, ups and downs as one accommodates and adjusts routines as life happens.  Glad to hear you're still keeping on and making good progress.

The electric sounds like a good idea as you can then work out the means to play later at night without waking the neighbours.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 04:42:00 am »
Feeling really encouraged looking at my old posts and seeing some of the things I used to struggle with are now easy.

I think this sums it up well Trish and is a reassurance that you're making progress. Thinking laterally to find ways of practicing when proximity to neighbours is a problem is a good thing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App