Author Topic: frito's road case  (Read 8638 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: frito's road case
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2021, 07:56:55 am »
frito - I don't recall seeing any 12-string player use it is a finger style instrument.

12 strings are just not meant for that. You are better off having a 6-string by far.

Offline frito

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2021, 03:05:52 pm »
frito - I don't recall seeing any 12-string player use it is a finger style instrument.

12 strings are just not meant for that. You are better off having a 6-string by far.
Yeah, it is not normal, but i have found a few that manage to master it.  Check this out, it is amazing 12 string finger picking.  Granted I need thousands of hours of practice before I'd ever be able to this. 

Part of the reason I'm pursuing it is because it is forcing me to focus more on my chord grips. 
1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2021, 03:17:57 pm »
That is cool. Looks like it needs a little different picking style to pick the low or high string of each pair. Looks hard!

I also like the idea of fingerpicking to help with cords. I want to eventually learn fingerpicking, so I have gone through the first several of Justin’s finger picking lessons a bit early.

Definitely less forgiving on cord accuracy than a strum! It is like picking out the individual strings in a cord, but I get to also practice finger picking at the same time.

Currently, I slowly fingerpick Justin’s basic patterns with a progression of:
G F C F Am F G, should throw a Dm in there.

Working on that dang FnF…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline frito

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2021, 03:29:26 pm »
Man, I have yet to try finger picking that FnF.  Might try it on my hollow body but no way on the 12.  I have found that to finger pick the 12, I need to hit the strings on top and pull vs. coming in from underneath.  Sounds cool the minority of times I've gotten it right.

I don't recall where I saw it, but somebody inverted the normal and octave strings, meaning they put the octave string underneath the thicker string instead of above it as is traditional.

But yeah, the cord accuracy is huge.  I went through most of the beginner courses on my hollow body.  When I blew the dust off the old 12 I find my chords need more work.
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline Twin Six

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2021, 03:32:17 pm »
Yeah, it is not normal, but i have found a few that manage to master it.  Check this out, it is amazing 12 string finger picking.  Granted I need thousands of hours of practice before I'd ever be able to this. 

Part of the reason I'm pursuing it is because it is forcing me to focus more on my chord grips.

Amazing! The fact that he's playing an Alvarez Yairi nearly identical to mine makes this even sweeter.
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar
Fender Squier Bullet Telecaster
Vox Valvetronic VT20X

Offline frito

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2021, 04:13:29 pm »
Amazing! The fact that he's playing an Alvarez Yairi nearly identical to mine makes this even sweeter.
I'm still waiting to see a video of you playing that twin six.   ;)
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline frito

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2021, 01:56:58 am »
Wow, I don't believe I haven't updated this since July.  Where in the heck has the year gone?  I'd love to say I've made a ton of progress since July but truth be told, I haven't.  I moved my guitars into my office with the hope I would take regular five - ten minute breaks throughout the day.  Some days I do, most days I don't.  The downside to them being in my office is that I've been working so many hours, the last thing I want to do is spend MORE time in my office so the guitars then sit in the evening too.  My wife and I have been chatting about putting doors on our living room, which we may make into a music room.  That way I have a place to play that will be closed off so I don't disturb everyone in the house.  Anyway...

Once the new Beginners App came out, I decided to go back through everything as part of my consolidation.  I am taking notes on each lesson as I go to focus on things I may have forgotten or didn't pay as much attention to when I went through it on the website.  I am also keeping a running list of the practice items from each lesson that I want to keep in a rotating practice repertoire, such as metronome work, strumming patterns, stretching, etc.  Shout out on the updated app as I recently noticed Exercises in the Songs section of the app.  The exercises do tend to mirror many of those in my repertoire which makes them quick and easy to get to. 

In addition to re-doing the lesson plan I have been working a few songs that I hope to record sooner or later:

• Signs by Five Man Electrical Band then Tesla. All the blasted political signs that polluted the landscape the past couple months inspired that
  • Night Moves by Bob Seger
  • House of the Rising Sun - Animals version with finger picking

The song list has me practicing chord A -> Bm, G -> F and C -> F chord changes as well as the finger style pattern in House of the Rising Sun.  Oh, did I mention I'm focusing most of my practice efforts on my 12 string figuring If I can master it I'll be in good shape.  Needless to say, the finger picking and the F & Bm barre chords are a bit of a challenge that is testing my patience.  I am happy to report I can get the F to ring out maybe half the time on my 12 string now which I never thought possible.

Oh yeah, and I think it's time for me to change my strings.  I haven't changed them since July of last year.

Well, I guess it's time to jump off of here and pick up the guitar for some practice.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 02:54:06 am by frito »
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2021, 04:29:47 am »
Good to hear from you, Joe. Establishing an environment and habits that enable one to practice and play is so important ... adding the doors to create a suitable space sounds like a great idea.

It does go up and down, but sounds like you are on a good path and making progress.  Keep doing what you are doing and I'm sure you'll be recording those songs in due course. 

I'm celebrating the progress on the F chord on the 12 string with you!
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline frito

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2021, 12:10:46 pm »
Good to hear from you, Joe. Establishing an environment and habits that enable one to practice and play is so important ... adding the doors to create a suitable space sounds like a great idea.

It does go up and down, but sounds like you are on a good path and making progress.  Keep doing what you are doing and I'm sure you'll be recording those songs in due course. 

I'm celebrating the progress on the F chord on the 12 string with you!
Thanks David.  😊
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 222
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2021, 03:21:26 pm »
Great stuff getting the dreaded F barre on the 12 string, I never did without a capo 😂
How are you finding that Orange amp?  I borrow a friends occasionally for certain sounds but have terrible GAS for one 😂
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline frito

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2021, 07:02:16 pm »
Great stuff getting the dreaded F barre on the 12 string, I never did without a capo 😂
How are you finding that Orange amp?  I borrow a friends occasionally for certain sounds but have terrible GAS for one 😂
Yeah, that FnF is no walk in the park on the 12 string but I am happy I keep battling through it. I look forward to the day when the clear majority of attempts sound good.

I like the Orange amp.  It hasn't seen much use since I've mainly been playing my 12 string.  I need to wise up and keep notes on what settings sound the best on certain songs.  It's a trial and error to find the sound I like.  I'm sure this is a combination of A. I don't have any pedals/effects and B. Even if I did have pedals and effects, I'm still quite the noob when it comes to effects.  I think that's one of the things that draws me to acoustic guitars. 
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2021, 09:59:17 pm »
You're still in the pool and keeping your head above water Joe, so that's a good thing. Allocating time and energy to all the things that are important to you is a tricky thing. Your plan to have a music room sounds like it will work for you.

I'm seriously impressed at you being able to play an F barre cleanly on a 12 string.

Vibes

Offline frito

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2021, 12:53:54 am »
You're still in the pool and keeping your head above water Joe, so that's a good thing. Allocating time and energy to all the things that are important to you is a tricky thing. Your plan to have a music room sounds like it will work for you.

I'm seriously impressed at you being able to play an F barre cleanly on a 12 string.

Vibes
Thanks Maggie!  Yep, I often feel like I'm treading water but I'm still above it.  :)  My next challenge, still a few months away I'm sure, will be to try to finger pick the F chord on the 12 string.  I have found that finger picking is both frustrating in that it accentuates the areas where I need work but also rewarding in that it helps me figure out where I need to focus.
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline frito

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2021, 12:44:57 am »
Man, I am hoping I can get to a point to post up a couple new tunes.  I have been punching way above my weight class with a couple songs that are taking me FOREVER to play well enough I want to record.  I recently became quite enamored with John Lennon's Happy Xmas - War is over and I am determined to get it right with all the sus and add9 chords.  The Bm has proven to my complete and utter nemesis on this and another song I've been trying to get down for a couple months now.  On the bright side, the callous on my pinky is now as strong and hard as the rest of my fingers.   ;D

Oh well, maybe before Christmas I'll feel up to posting it.  Cheers.
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2021, 04:45:47 am »
Sounds good, Joe. I'm sure you'll get the new songs down and will have the Bm under the fingers in the process. Look forward to recordings in AVOYP when you are ready.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Get The Forum As A Mobile App