Author Topic: Pick thickness  (Read 1067 times)

Offline BabyBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Pick thickness
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 10:57:40 pm »
What's interesting to me is that a particular pick, e.g, a .73 mm, can be considered thick by one person and thin by another.  I actually read some advice that said "use a thin pick to start, such as a 0.73 mm", and elsewhere to start with an even thinner one as a .73 and up are "too thick".
I just happened to take the first advice I saw when I started to play, and stuck with it.  It's the .73 mm in case you haven't guessed. I'm fine with it, and find that a thicker pick gives a somewhat dull sound.  I am playing acoustic only right now.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
Re: Pick thickness
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 11:26:30 pm »
a thicker pick gives a somewhat dull sound.  I am playing acoustic only right now.
The way I look at this is that you're hearing more of the guitar and less of the strings when you're using a thicker pick. Than can be good or bad, depending on what you want.

I record a lot and on acoustic I end up using a thinner (1mm or a little less) pick because it makes the guitar easier to mix.

When yhe acoustic has a more prominent role I used to use thicker (1-2mm) picks because it gives a fuller sound.

Beyond that, thicker picks usually allow for more dynamic playing because you can dig in more i.e. get louder with them. That also makes them a little more challenging to use, especially for beginners.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App