Author Topic: Pick thickness  (Read 1066 times)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Pick thickness
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:27:35 pm »
So I know thickness makes a difference when it comes to picks. And Justin recommends 0.38 or 0.43 to start. I had some 0.73 from my earlier attempts to learn and some match pick 0.88 (no idea where they came from). I haven't tried the 0.88 but have used the 0.73. I'm only on stage 2. Is it ok to stick with the 0.73? And I'm not sure if it matters but I'm learning on an Ibanez Gart60 electric with Ernie Ball Cobalt Super Slinky (9-42) strings. Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:47:06 pm by MPetten »
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
Re: Pick thickness
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:35:19 pm »
I'm not sure, I've stuck with 0.60 and I'm on stage 8. I've tried a slightly thicker pick on my acoustic but I can't seem to get to grips with anything thicker on my electric just yet

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:05:17 pm »
If you can use them OK then carry on, all thinner picks do is make it a bit easier to strum but they do click more.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
  • Well I am working on it.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »
Hi,
No expert on this end, but have been toying around with guitar for many years.  :-\

I use a NYLON Jim Dunlop .073mm. That will play differently than a regular (celluloid) material plectrum as I find those stiffer. But yeah if you're getting along ok on the .073 then I would stick with it until you feel it might be too floppy. That day may never come and you may settle in on the .073.

It may be your a step ahead already being on that thickness! Also if you need a little more floppiness out of your present pick you can hold it a bit looser and possibly expose more pick to the strings. If you need a firmer pick, possibly hold it in your fingers closer down to the tip. In the last example I am thinking of solo work or perhaps picking individual strings.

Take that pick and rock it down!
LB
I sense a change in musical direction!

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:48:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input. I seem to be making out ok. Maybe I'll just pick up a few of various sizes to try out.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:38:28 pm »
Yeah, try every thickness you can find. I believe many Dunlop picks are offered anywhere from 0.38mm to 1.14mm or something like that.

I was given some thicker picks by a former forum member and really couldn't get along with them at first. The more I played with them, the easier it became.

So if you feel you're up for it, go for it. :)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:24:38 pm »
Don't think I'm ready for thicker but may go a little thinner just to see how they feel. The 0.73 were just ones I had lying around rather than feeling ready haha. Like I said I think I'm handling them ok but I'm only a beginner on stage 2 so I could be wrong.

Offline DoomedProphet

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 12:55:58 am »
Buy some variety packs, separate them by thickness, then do the same practice part (strum the same chord/transition etc.) with the thicknesses you want to try. I didn't care for thinner picks when I started, the clicking drove me insane, but was surprised by some of the .80s I tried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Frontman 15G
Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE
Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:23:56 am »
I'll pick up some lighter picks tomorrow after work. They're cheap so no big deal

Offline Heinz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:10 am »
I started using a light pick a couple of days ago as I lost all my decent medium ones. I found that I had to adjust my picking and strumming a great deal for the lighter. Now I turned my amp up by quite a bit and feel that I get a much better tone and "feel" because of my heightened awareness and floppiness of the pick. Definitely worth a try! Or maybe I'm imagining things..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 06:40:34 am »
You're not imagining things. The pick - one of the few things that actually physically touches the strings - makes a huge difference.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline Johan217

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 08:05:37 am »
I had always used nylon .73, some time ago I tried out different types and for now settled on cellulloid .60 as my favorite.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 01:59:55 pm »
I tried out a 0.6mm tortex I'm really liking. Dont know if I like it better than the 0.73mm nylons I was using but it is different. I find my strumming is cleaner.

Offline taf78944

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 12:11:20 am »
Just buy a variety pack of picks, I believe Dunlop has them.  Just play with them all and you'll find one that works for you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 10:36:59 pm »
I picked up a bunch. At 50 cents each no big deal. I settled on the 0.60 tortex as one I liked best for now of the half dozen I picked up. Might switch again lol

Get The Forum As A Mobile App