Author Topic: 006 July Worry  (Read 1157 times)

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
006 July Worry
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:21:09 pm »
Here's my latest:

https://youtu.be/tK4k-Jj6SzE

Written the day after the chocolate cupcake was eaten. Haha.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: 006 July Worry
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 10:44:12 pm »
Hey Lynn,

That was a little different or maybe I should say I now don't know what to expect.

Short, sweet, easy listening with some interesting ambiguous moments in terms of lyrics and the song ... the nightmares and all ...

Well done on writing another ...

Cheers
David

Offline pkboo3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 02:26:57 am »
Hmmm. So are you saying that all those sweets gave you nightmares?  Reminds me of the old fairy tales we used to hear as kids...Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood... 

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:01:22 am »
Thanks for listening and commenting, David. I always appreciate the thought you put into everyone's efforts. I know it's not always easy.

Pam, yes, although I haven't had cotton candy since I was probably 8 years old, and don't eat a lot of sweets. There was a cupcake, and a root beer float last week that really got to me. Haha. I drink one a year, so it can hit me hard. I find inspiration everywhere. 😊

I'm happy you caught the Brothers Grimm aspect. I'm also thinking it's a bit Willie Wonka.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:35:03 am »
Lynn, that was interesting and amusing; I know a bit where you are coming from with it - I don't usually drink anything with caffeine in it, boy oh boy do I know about it if I do ;)
All in all very pleasant to listen to and amusing lyrics, good vibes!!!
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 Strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes all Amazon specials!
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:16:47 am »
Gotta find inspiration where it comes ... sugar rush & slump is a good source I reckon.
Some quirky chord changes and melodic shifts at key moments that kept me listening.
I would think about how you could push the dynamic boundaries of it further ... either through changing it up on your guitar, or by adding some storyteller's vocal techniques to suit the underlying tale.
Good vibes.

ps
being affected by chocolate / sugar / caffeine when you're not accustomed to it .... have you ever tried it the other way round? Giving up a strong caffeine habit? Oh boy, the caffeine withdrawal headache is a killer and lasts for days.

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:35:24 am »
Thanks Darrell. I actually love coffee, so caffeinated is my baseline. Haha. Glad you enjoyed it.

Richard, this will be transformed very soon with some dynamic guitar. It's in Keith's hands next. This is just the beginning. Haha

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your time and effort.

Lynn

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:23 pm »
Forgot to ask, I see a new guitar!!! Is that a MM St Vincent?
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 Strat.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:47:40 pm »
Forgot to ask, I see a new guitar!!! Is that a MM St Vincent?
It is! I love it. I've actually had it for a year. I play it the most, but I guess this is its first video. Annie Clark did a great job helping design it, although many of its features are lost on me at this point. I just know it's very comfortable and light, and I can play chords that give me trouble on my other guitars (Bm, I'm talking to you!). And I like it's shape. It's angular and strangely beautiful, like her.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:11:35 pm »
I saw them first when I saw Mary Spender having a go with one; she's got a future I think - saw her at a venue in Bristol UK, really individual style and a lovely voice!!!
https://youtu.be/qGNbMNSOxTE

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 03:06:16 pm »
I saw them first when I saw Mary Spender having a go with one; she's got a future I think - saw her at a venue in Bristol UK, really individual style and a lovely voice!!!
https://youtu.be/qGNbMNSOxTE
Thanks. That looks like a dangerous place to spend an afternoon.

https://youtu.be/DFNPso72948

Here's St Vincent herself.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 03:58:24 pm »
Thanks. That looks like a dangerous place to spend an afternoon.
https://youtu.be/DFNPso72948
Here's St Vincent herself.
The guitar show was 8 miles from where I live, I couldn't go at the time; Mary's gig was in Bristol where she lives; she met St Vincent at Namm this year, they were discussing Mary's liking Vigier guitars.

Offline davidvac

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 20
  • Maidenhead, Berkshire
    • Holybrook
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 08:44:57 am »
Wow Red. This is quite dark. It all starts sweetly(?) enough and then there's this twist where I'm reminded of Chucky and the fairy grows teeth. This would be a great hallowe'en song.
I think that the fairly monotonous rhythmic strumming serves to accentuate the darkness as well. Maybe a steady bass line underneath the later verses might be a good extension. Nice job.

David Vachell
https://soundcloud.com/david-vachell
Martin LX1E, TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, Laney AH4x4, Focusrite iDock

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 12:55:56 pm »
Wow Red. This is quite dark. It all starts sweetly(?) enough and then there's this twist where I'm reminded of Chucky and the fairy grows teeth. This would be a great hallowe'en song.
I think that the fairly monotonous rhythmic strumming serves to accentuate the darkness as well. Maybe a steady bass line underneath the later verses might be a good extension. Nice job.

David Vachell
https://soundcloud.com/david-vachell
Chucky? Do you mean that horror movie doll? Haha. If I'm bringing up thoughts of that creepy thing, I'm doing something right!

Thanks so much, David.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:28:59 am »
What a cool guitar! The song could have been something by Jefferson Airplane; absurd, psychedelic and a dark edge. This style works for you!

Some dynamics in the strumming would spice it up some more. Dare to experiment with your strumming pattern.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum
my band Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App