Author Topic: Done with cork-sniffing  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
Done with cork-sniffing
« on: July 14, 2017, 02:38:09 pm »
Howdy folks,

Due to my recent scam experience on the Dutch second-hand selling website Marktplaats, I took it as a cue (ha) to change my ways.

So I'm thinking of getting rid of the remainder of my pedal board and my two tube amps and their replacement speakers in order to fund a Kemper.

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers.
CZ
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
Re: Done with cork-sniffing
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »
I'll send money to your Kemper fund ....  :)

How much do you need?

100 Euros?
200?

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=UK-Generic-Crowdfunding-NonVertical-NA-Exact-Desktop-AlwaysOn&utm_term=crowdfunding
Yeah, something like that. I think I can raise at least €1500 (calculation says €1900) with what I can sell.

Whether you're for real or not, thanks. :)

ETA: Here https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/help-me-unscam
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:50:30 pm by Cue Zephyr »
Production and mixing

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:39:07 pm »
Hi Cue
I was joking about the amount ... times are tough in austerity land ... but I will happily chip in a little.
  :)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:06 pm »
It's all good, I can probably raise just about enough to get a Kemper as I just showed you. ;)
Production and mixing

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 05:15:39 pm »
Addendum

It will be just a modest contribution - but I would like to help.

I got scammed myself recently.
Found a contractor from one of those trusted-tradesmen websites that turned out to be a completely incompetent rogue.
Employed them to build a patio in the back garden.
It has ended up as a disaster and a patio that can be dangerous to walk on ... paving stones that have sunk, that are loose, that stick up as a trip hazard, and they applied chemicals that have discoloured the whole thing.
It's going to cost more to fix and get it put right than the original job.
Meanwhile, that company have disappeared with £1000 of my money.
Neither of the two addresses they gave are legitimate so I don't think I'll be seeing that again.
Gggrrr

I was all set to buy a gorgeous 2nd hand Epiphone ES339 and a Roland Street amp before that.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:51:41 pm by close2u »

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm »
It will be just a modest contribution - but I would like to help.
Thank you! Everything or anything is appreciated, especially since you just meant it as a joke. ;)

ETA: Okay maybe it's unethical to get a Kemper. I'll have to find a way around it.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:18:19 pm by Cue Zephyr »
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 03:07:54 am »

ETA: Okay maybe it's unethical to get a Kemper. I'll have to find a way around it.

So you just got scammed by one Internet empty suit and now you are going to put your faith in another? That guy just likes to hear himself talk and show you his collection.

Buy what you want and what you like to play. Make what you have work in a way others can't.

Have you every really listened to some hit songs and the tones being used. You couldn't identify them if your life depended on it. Your quest -should- be for a sound that no one else has. There are many sounds on 40 year old classic songs that to this day people still can't replicate and they were made with some pretty ordinary gear, especially by today's standards.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 11:04:18 pm »
Good point! :)

I really like HP and never looked at Kemper products the way he does. I agree with him that it's a brand issue. Kemper profiles are telling you that you have a Marshall sound, not just a 'British sound', implying that you don't even need a real Marshall, or anything else that's in there.

My very reasonably priced rig (well below just a Kemper without guitar) can do things many other rigs can't. That's just because I have a very underused and underrated guitar and amp.

I'll see if I can recover from this mess in a week and I'll report back what I'm gonna do.

Still very disappointed I have to return the Neunaber though.
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 04:34:36 am »
I really like HP and never looked at Kemper products the way he does. I agree with him that it's a brand issue. Kemper profiles are telling you that you have a Marshall sound, not just a 'British sound', implying that you don't even need a real Marshall, or anything else that's in there.

Well it's rather ironic that his 30 minute video on ethics and skipping Kemper due to ethics is presented on YouTube which is the most egregious example of property rights theft. Jeeze, can't you click on a video on YT that doesn't have some IP theft in the form of music and not to mention the many videos that teach you how to hack, steal, download, whatever. By his 'ethical standards' he should not be posting on YouTube but instead be posting his videos on a pay site that enforces Intellectual Property rights. ... but then he couldn't be a YT star for free if he did that.

Regarding what Kemper says about their models. Do you know of anything that is sold that doesn't claim to do whatever it does, better than everything else? That's marketing. As to copying a Marshall..... Marshall copied Fender to make the Marshall. Fender very likely copied something out of a tube manual... probably even the Radiotron handbook. So now you are down to turning knobs and creating sounds where no two versions of the same thing ever sound alike anyway.

So someone is going to say.... 'No, you can't turn those knobs to that setting, and record that sound, in that space, and capture it with the intent to re-use it. So I guess he doesn't like samplers either. Or Hip Hop.

If he doesn't like the amp, that's fine, but to take that bizarre stand to justify an excuse to make a YT video on a false premise is really out there.

A further irony is that all his amps are simply modern variations on historic designs so they take market share from the original designs they are based on. That would be the same ethical principal he claims to have an issue with. But he doesn't have a problem with it because he likes his amps.

... anyway.. like I said... all that negative mental exercise is not going to enhance your musicality. People, as the final audience and judge, they want new unique, exposed, vulnerable, art, that's like nothing they have heard before. Or at the least a new manner of expressing something they like. No one cares if you use a Kemper or a Klondike bar. If you can make them think... 'wow, what was that?' or 'I love that crazy sounding part'... I mean look at Hip Hop rappers. they took Autotune which most will say is the most God awful sound on Earth and made it into something that for some reason people like. I personally hate it. Many engineers hate even the microscopic artifacts of autotune. One could call AutoTune a farce .... what you can't deny though is that as a musician... you can do whatever you want with it.

As a musician you can do anything. There is no boundary. No boxes any critic can place you in. If you can pull it off, it's legit. The fact he claims to be a teacher and is telling you certain tools are unethical.... it's just carries no weight of fact in the real world of music making.

He is a follower pondering what he has gathered thus far and accepting the comfort it gives him.

You want to be a leader without mental and / or physical boundaries.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 08:00:53 am »
Personally not a big HP fan - and especially not in this case.
I find his views quite laughable. The Kemper is a piece of sound producing gear, like so many others. Pedals have been copying/recreating other pedals for ages... classic tape delay machines, preamps etc. To make Hennings video even more ridiculous, he' actually supporting one of the other brands of profilers. The reason? He's friends with the guys making it. It pretty much boils down to him not liking the guys behind the Kemper... maybe because they didn't send him one for free to review? (I'm actually serious, seems to remember reading/hearing him say something like that - but not 100 percent sure)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 08:16:54 am »
It pretty much boils down to him not liking the guys behind the Kemper... maybe because they didn't send him one for free to review? (I'm actually serious, seems to remember reading/hearing him say something like that - but not 100 percent sure)
That sounds about right, I think I heard him say that as well; my interest stemmed from his reviews on the Harley Benton stuff which he seems to rave about....... I wonder why ;)
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 Strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes all Amazon specials!
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 01:10:01 am »
Thank you! Everything or anything is appreciated, especially since you just meant it as a joke. ;)

*snip*

Cue, i thought you said you were done cork sniffing...
So why are you listening to the KING of cork sniffers ?

Seriously, he never talked like this about the Axe-FX series.
NEVER.
They're in the same business as Kemper essentially, so this comes off as someone having some personal beef with a company and then trying to make them look bad by blasting them with the most far-fetched bullshit argument he could come up with, hoping folks won't see through it.
Thankfully everyone here has seen through it, but i have this suspicion on some other guitar related forums, the users would lynch the first person pointing out that this guy's story is crap.

And seriously, are we now COPYRIGHTING AMP TONALITY or something ?!
I certainly hope not, i'd have to start boycotting any company that goes along with that kind of Malarky, and i say that having owned... well, just about all of them i guess  :-[

his reviews on the Harley Benton stuff which he seems to rave about....... I wonder why ;)

Whenever i see his videos praising some low-end junk when he scoffs at perfectly decent mid-level guitars and amps, i feel this particular urge to drive over to Germany and see if i can finally pull out that enormous stick he has up his ass...
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 01:30:48 pm »
Whenever i see his videos praising some low-end junk when he scoffs at perfectly decent mid-level guitars and amps, i feel this particular urge to drive over to Germany and see if i can finally pull out that enormous stick he has up his ass...
Yes. Yes you can!

He just asked for people to come out and help him out with his business.

Anyway, in his subsequent videos it comes down to a brand issue. He believes you shouldn't claim you're a Diezel VH4 or a Bogner Ecstasy like the Kemper does, and people treating is as such. Some manufacturers only hint at it or even only are insirepd sonically by certain brands.

I do appreciate him trying to steer Joyo away from cloning and towards innovation.
Production and mixing

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 01:38:58 pm »
The kemper profile names are indeed "mangled" so they are not called the amp name exactly.
Nobody in the Kemper community thinks of them as the real deal - just good tones...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App