Author Topic: Gigabyte's roadcase  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
Gigabyte's roadcase
« on: July 05, 2017, 12:03:45 pm »
My road towards the guitar started out when i was young, thinking "i want one". Never got to it though. Life interfered in oh so many ways, some good, some bad.
Later in life, about the age of 41, i came down with a case of pericarditis.
Got that from a cold that didn't really got cured. But that's solved now.
Think of it like your heart resembling the revs of a race engine at times.
That took me to a doctor and a week or two at home. With lot's of rest as a doctors advice.
At that time, my wife bought me my first guitar. A cheap spanish acoustic guitar. (I'd been rambling for years that i wanted a guitar and to learn how to play, but go-day never seemed to appear). Untill that day. That was the day i started out to learn how to play.
The guitar came with an instructionbook and cd. Had some fun with that for a while, but then it dawned on me that since i'm a lefty, i'd be better of with a left-handed guitar. So, i changed strings. (Note: it doesn't really pay to change the order of the strings on a right handed guitar. I've learnded that one quickly). So of to the shop for a left handed acoustic. Again, bought me a cheap one and off i went.
Then i stumbled across Justin's site. Started here, learned more about guitars and sold the acoustic. Bought me a Yamaha Pacifica left handed.
So currently i'm in stages 4-5 and trying to practice every day. (Stage 4 on songs, stage 5 for the chords).

I'm 42 now and my progress might not be that fast as others, but i'm having fun playing and learning. And for me, that's all that counts.

My gear at this moment would be; Yamaha pacifica and a Vox pathfinder. Sufficient for a beginner like me, i guess.
I'm keeping an eye out for a Gretsch, because i think that's one great guitar. And eventually it will be added to my fledgling collection.  ;)

So, anyway, thanks for reading these ramblings. Don't know if they're any good, but that's all there is. (for now....)
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Gigabyte's roadcase
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  And I enjoyed reading your story and look forward to sharing it with you as you continue.

In fact, it makes me think that maybe I also need a ramble in this area  :)

And count yourself blessed to have discovered Justin Guitar age 42 after only a year of learning by other means ... I got that first guitar around 19 and only discovered Justin Guitar at 51 .... and like you loving the learning and playing.

Look forward to more ...

Cheers
David

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »
Likewise, I might also do a ramble post and upload my videos onto the post to see how I'm progressing. I too discovered JustinGuitar at a late age, I was just coming up for 43. I had tried learning in the past but never really stuck at it. 6 months into this course and I'm loving it

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 06:20:29 pm »
Never too late. I started in 2013 at 42 years and today I play rythm guitar in a country/rock band.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:50:22 pm »
Time for a small addition to the case.

I've finally mastered the F-chord. Rings out clearly. Now that i've got that down, it's time for some one-minute challenges with this chord.

Meanwhile i've managed my way into stage 5 of the B.C. Slowly but surely, making progress and loving every step of it.

This is so much fun....  ;D

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:40:27 pm »
Good stuff ... that sounds grand.

I feel the same!

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:44:27 pm »
Give Peace A Chance is a great song to work on your F change Lord_Gigabyte. It's only got three chords in the whole song, C, G, F in that order, simple but effective. I've just added that one to my repertoire

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:38 am »
Allright! I'll definitly check that out, as soon as i'm back from my holiday.

Thx for the tip!

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 07:23:55 pm »
Time for another small addition.

I still need to check out the song Give peace a chance. The Beatles got in the way. :-)
Got the big G down and one minute changes with the F-chord are coming along nicely. Not lightingspeed fast, but i'm not complaining. Slowly, but surely, i'm getting there.
Also, the Beatles (I wanna hold your hand) have stopped me somewhat from getting into stage 5. But i'll show 'em...  ;D
Still practicing chords and chord changes, almost every day.
I also got the C note down, all over the fretboard, at 120b/m on the metronome. (an exercise in the practical music theory book). I'm telling you, if you ever need to know what concentration feels like, and to have a feeling that you're "all alone" in the world, try this. Everything seems to fade away. There's just me, the guitar and the metronome. The goal would be, like Justin says, to reach 160. (And i think 120 is hard...) So that's almost C down, 6 to go...  :o
That's about it for now, i think. Time for some R&R.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 05:55:53 pm »
Well, i've learned something these past weeks....
Do NOT turn your back on the justin ear training... I'm close to completing stage 8 of the BC, moving on to 9, when i thought, "hey, i didn't do any ear training during the course."  Seems now, that was a mistake.... So off i went....
It's harder than i expected it to be. There's me, thinking "yeah, i know what this chord sounds like, i'm playing it, aren't i?". Untill you only hear it... that's where the doubt creeps in because i didn't do the stages.
That and the practical musical theory book means that i've got more work to do. Better get going.

Oh, and if anybody would be doubting if they would do the eartraining as a beginner...Yes, absolutely yes. I never thought it would be this hard to spot the difference between a Dmaj and a D7.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:58:23 am »
Time for another small update and a small high-five to myself.

Started with the intermediate course recently. (about last week) Lot's of questions, lot's of fun too.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 04:40:00 pm »
Time for another small update and a small high-five to myself.

Started with the intermediate course recently. (about last week) Lot's of questions, lot's of fun too.
Congrats !!!

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 05:34:33 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 09:59:14 am »
It's been close to a year since i've touched a guitar. All this time they have been staring over my shoulder, asking me why i didn't play anymore.
The answer to that problem was, solitude.
Playing on your own is fun, but it has it's limits.
Mix in a little privacyconcerns about the internet, especially where it comes to recording myself and all that.
I'm just not all that happy with looking at myself on a screen. Any screen really.

So that lead in turn to a grinding halt. No motivation at all. The last entry in my daily practice schedule was 03/02/2020.
Untill a few days ago. In the past year i have been listening to mostly electronic music, hiphop, etc...
Untill i came across Layla, by Clapton. I remembered that i was learning that song and how i felt while learning, and the fun i had.
That brought me back into the mindset of learning and playing.
Which in turn, made me order sets of new strings, clean and polish and restring my guitars, dusted the amps, remembered that there is this awesome community where you can ask things, share stuff, etc.. and got a plan together.

1. Pick up where i left.
2. (and this is new) i'm going to enroll in a music course. There's an academy where i live and they teach adults too. That will help with the solitude. Playing and learning with others irl, will be a boost for me. (i hope).
I'm keeping an eye on the exact date for registration.
3. Keep focus. This one's very important for me. I got distracted during the course.
I started to listen to jazz. Awesome genre but it made me lose focus on what i was learning. Before i knew it, i was buying books to learn jazz. Not so good, because i lost sight of what i was doing in the first place.
4. Be a bit more active again on the forum. This is a great community. I'd like to give back what i can.

So there you have it. The 4 things i've planned for myself this year. (and hopefully, the coming years).

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 10:06:38 am »
Welcome back, Lord GB, happens so easily.

Great that you've been inspired to come back and the plan sounds good.

All I'd add is to think creatively as to how you can share music in the Forum while maintaining the level of privacy that you are comfortable with. Perhaps an option is to use shared drives, such as Google Drive or DropBox. You could create a unique account for that purpose and then just post links to files in the Forum. While anybody who comes to the Forum could access the file maybe that is enough separation and distance from the greater internet to be OK?

Cause I am with you about solitude.  I am sure I'd have faltered if it had not been for interaction with the community and the sharing of the music to get feedback and encouragement.

Anyhow ... wish you well as you get started up again.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 10:40:53 am »
Hey DavidP,

thank you for the kind words.

You've put me on the right track regarding my privacyconcerns.
I have a cloud drive (Mega) where i can share folders. I'm going to use that as a starting point.
Also, i just occured to me that i can record myself, leaving my face out of the picture. It's the music that counts, not how i look.  ;)
I'm awaiting the arrival of a Linux phone, so as soon as i get that, and my playing is somewhat up to speed again, i'll share some of my "progress".
Thanks a lot for the advice. It really helped!

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 10:56:12 am »
Hello Lord GB.

Welcome back to the forum.

It's good see that you have set some goals, this should help with motivation.

Good luck on your new chapter of your guitar journey.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 12:43:15 pm »
Hello R.F.W.

Thank you for the kind words.  :D

I'm looking forward to a new chapter in my guitar journey.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 02:47:02 pm »
Good to see you back Me Lud  ;)

Having done the stop start business so many times over the years, I can empathise with journey. But hey glad old Slowhands popped up and reminded you about Lyla. Seems like you have a plan, so good for you. If you start to feel the wheels coming off again down the road, think of us here for starters before hanging up again. Talk to us, as I am sure its not only me that's been down that quiet dusty back road.

Take care and hope the music course works out once it gets rolling.

Cheers bud

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 08:46:37 am »
Hey Tobyjenner,

thank you for that. I certainly will. I felt ashamed for myself during that time and had feelings of guilt, feeling that i had betrayed something.
It also felt like this could only happen to me, which goes to show that what i should have done in the first place, was to come over here and talk about it, before it got worse.

How did you recover from this absenteisme, because i sure as hell don't want to go down that road again.
For me, it was too depressing.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 03:50:27 pm »
Hey Tobyjenner,

thank you for that. I certainly will. I felt ashamed for myself during that time and had feelings of guilt, feeling that i had betrayed something.
It also felt like this could only happen to me, which goes to show that what i should have done in the first place, was to come over here and talk about it, before it got worse.

How did you recover from this absenteisme, because i sure as hell don't want to go down that road again.
For me, it was too depressing.

Sorry meant to come back to this and answer that question. I think for me it was finding Justin. The previous 15 or so years were stop start affairs and jumping from one method to another with no consistency or ever building a foundation. And to be honest work was getting harder and harder and more demanding, plus I was heavily involved in Martial Arts during that period as well.

I have had the odd blip since I have been here but its been life events that have caused the distractions or lack of focus. But now I just think how far I have progressed following Justin's teaching and that comparison always provides a kick start - as the answer is always "yes that ain't bad for an old fool but it is not as far as you wanted to be, so pull your finger out and get cracking again !!". My self admonishments are somewhat more colourful but it gets the message across and so I move on !!
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 08:54:10 am »
 ;D Yep, that ought to do it.
Justin's teachings have been spot on. I've made good progression, there's no doubt this method works.

I'm back at it, having fun and learning again discovering the joy of playing a guitar.
Also the outlook of learning and playing in group (hoping that things can start again this year) helps a lot.

I'm looking forward to sharing some of my progression here as well.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 09:37:40 am »
Welcome back! I was starting to wonder where you were at :)

Your identity can be kept safe here and you don't need to post anythin per se ;)

Good luck in this new chapter,  i notice we all have our own challenges (like I keep playing the same damn songs all over again :p)

We should keep sharing our challenges. they might seem silly but in these strange times, no conversation may be deemed to strange when it comes to tackling challenges.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 11:05:44 am »
Thanks Lieven.

I'm going to share my challenges more, because like i said earlier on, this is a great community to be a part of.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 01:45:22 am »
So good to have you back here with us Lord G. It sounds as though last year was challenging for you.

I do hope that the solitude eases and that you feel more invited to play - by your guitars, your love of learning and us here supporting and cheering you on.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App