Author Topic: Mini Martin guitar any comments?  (Read 998 times)

Offline Styrr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Mini Martin guitar any comments?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 06:33:07 pm »
I don’t want to complicate things but:-
Acoustics all sound different. Even the same models from the same manufacturers will vary, even if only slightly.   Just about everything alters the tone. The wood the top is made from; the type of strings ( i.e. bronze or phosphor bronze);  the bracing system the manufacturers use; the size and shape of the body; even the age and how much it has been played.

All that said there is still 3 most recognizable tones from the 3 major companies.
With the caveat that this is my opinion and others may disagree:-
Taylor – tends to have more presence i.e. the highs seem more pronounced.
Gibson – tends to be more bass prominent.
Martin – more even throughout the range or maybe slightly more mids.
For me this affects how you play . taylor; good for finger picking style. Gibson; more strumming. Martin; decent for either style. That is not to say that any are not good at either style.

Bottom line is play it (or them) and let your ears and hands decide. If you don’t love it try something else.

Back to original topic, yes that’s the Martin LX1E (probably made in Mexico)  and Ed Sheeran plays it in all his gigs. So if he can entertain 200,000 people at Glastonbury by himself with just the guitar and a looper pedal.........  (oh I believe it’s a + on it. That’s his first album title. Of course it could be x which is his second one, depends on how you view it ttps://justinguitarcommunity.com/Smileys/default/smiley.gif)
It may be small but having tried one it’s surprisingly loud and easy to play. No I didn’t buy it; but only because I fell in love with a Martin OOX1AE from the first chord I played. I strictly I didn’t buy that either – my wife did. She said it looked right, sounded right and I could even play it (which is highly unusual). So she bought it for me. And I have hardly played any of my other acoustics since.

Be careful with amps. Electric guitar amps are not voiced for acoustics. Acoustic need full range speakers to sound good.  Which is one of the reasons you will find that acoustic amps are usually more expensive. Not sure if there is any battery powered ones. Even the new Boss Katana mini, unlike the rest of the range, doesn’t have an acoustic channel. https://justinguitarcommunity.com/Smileys/default/sad.gif

Good wishes on your guitar hunt.
Styrr
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.”
Michael Jordan

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 11:06:49 pm »
With vintage-voiced I mean that the core of their sound is in the midrange. Martins can sound a little throaty while Gibsons just sound warm (not dull).

What I call modern-voiced is with more emphasis on the upper mids.

If you like the Martin sound, I think you'd be happier with something like a Sigma 00 (do they even have those?). They're only marginally larger but sound like a bigger guitar.

I've only ever tried one Maton and I found it to have a drier sound, akin to some Gibson guitars.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 02:22:53 am »
This is a whole other level of listening and feeling. Thankyou Cue, Styrr and Stitch for your explanations. Now I understand and I have a heap more knowledge.  I've really only played the one guitar I have. Choosing it 10 or 11 months ago as a beginner is a bit of a blur.

I'll take on board all the excellent advise you have so generously given me. Thanks so much.  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:17:02 am by batwoman »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App