Author Topic: Which guage strings on Pacifica - I have learned on acoustic  (Read 516 times)

Offline BrianJP

• Good Vibes 0
Hi all

I have been learning for 8 months on an Acoustic that is strung with 11 gauge strings. I have just bought my first electric a Yamaha Pacifica strung with  9 gauge. I feel these strings are too light although they are those advised for beginners.
So my question is should I stick with these or maybe change to 11's

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Strings
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 08:06:48 pm »
10s on a Pacifica will be a good next step.

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Which guage strings on Pacifica - I have learned on acoustic
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 12:06:29 am »
I put 10s on my pacifica and they pulled the floating bridge right up. I tried to lower it by tightening the bridge springs but was worried about stripping the wood and gave up and went back to 9s the same day.
It may be normal for the bridge to raise with bigger strings but I was new to it all and didn't want to damage anything.
Although 9s are advised for beginners lots of famous players use them too.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:16:10 am »
Strings, like picks, are about personal preference. You now know you don't like 9s on a Strat-style guitar. 8 months on 11s on an acoustic mean you aren't a 'beginner' any more, in the sense that that recommendation was for absolute beginners, to best facilitate ease of entry.

Now, your fingers are tough and strong enough to know what they want. 9s would most likely feel pretty feeble and fragile. They are a choice that is definitely 'light' while 10s and 11s are more 'normal', although 10s are still quite light. 12s, though, start to get heavy, and 13s are definitely the choice to go proper heavy.

Keep experimenting and find what you like, then use those. And it may turn out that for rhythm you like 10s on your Yamaha, but for lead you prefer 11s on the Les Paul you buy in 6 months.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:21:43 pm »
Also realize that 9s on the Pacifica may feel really thin now when you're mostly playing rhythm but bending 10s may feel like moving an anvil when you start doing more lead playing.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline BrianJP

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 05:11:50 pm »
Strings, like picks, are about personal preference. You now know you don't like 9s on a Strat-style guitar. 8 months on 11s on an acoustic mean you aren't a 'beginner' any more, in the sense that that recommendation was for absolute beginners, to best facilitate ease of entry.

Now, your fingers are tough and strong enough to know what they want. 9s would most likely feel pretty feeble and fragile. They are a choice that is definitely 'light' while 10s and 11s are more 'normal', although 10s are still quite light. 12s, though, start to get heavy, and 13s are definitely the choice to go proper heavy.

Keep experimenting and find what you like, then use those. And it may turn out that for rhythm you like 10s on your Yamaha, but for lead you prefer 11s on the Les Paul you buy in 6 months.
Haha I hadn't thought of it that way so am going to try 10's first you're probably right although I'm not sure about the Les Paul. Thanks for your reply.

Sent from my SM-G935F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App