Author Topic: String change  (Read 9674 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 67
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
Re: String change
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2018, 09:57:19 am »
Ok I just bought a set of 80/20 Ernie Ball Earthwoods so I might put them on next time I change strings. The 80/20 Martins which I put on August 20th has lost most if its tone so I probably need to change again pretty soon. Seems like 80/20's lasts much shorter than Phosphor Bronze?
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline skinnyT

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2018, 12:38:32 pm »
Inspired by this thread, thanks Loefgren, I decided to have a go at changing my strings, they sounded dead and I realized they were 9 months old oooops. I can usually be sure to mess up anything DIY or mechanical so I was expecting problems but it all went very smoothly. I watched Justin's video and 45 minutes  later the strings were installed and guitar tuned. I didn't even managed to break a string when stretching them!

The moral of this post is that it's not that hard to change strings so give it a go.

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
    • YouTube
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2018, 07:21:30 pm »
Quote from: Loefgren
Hello! Changed the strings on my guitar again this sunday. Only took me 20 mins this time  :)
Quote from: skinnyT
I watched Justin's video and 45 minutes  later the strings were installed and guitar tuned.
I can't say enough good things about Power Pins 2.0. Acoustic guitar string changes shouldn't take more that a few minutes with these. They add a bit of volume and a lot of sustain as well. Check them out:

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 11:45:37 pm »
The first part of this post is not mine. I also remove all the strings and clean the whole guitar.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 12:35:56 am »
Seems like I'm constantly changing strings, but it's because I have multiple guitars. I hate doing it. It's a chore.

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 10:40:23 am »
I really enjoyed Tammy’s first lesson (check out the new series!), but was dismayed to hear less than a minute in:

“If ever your strings get like this where you can see this dark browny stuff as well as the light parts, it’s definitely time to change them… You probably don’t want to leave it more than a month- a month and a half if you’re playing regularly.”

REALLY?

I restrung mine a year ago, and I thought it still sounded ok (kept in tune very well), - maybe a little dull.
I gave Justin the benefit of the doubt and changed the strings yesterday. I think I notice a brighter sound, but I know I’m facing another couple of days/weeks cranking up the tuners until they settle in.

It’s probably good advice for performers (which I guess she is), but a bit over the top for newbies, who might be better off spending their time practicing rather than restringing and retuning so much of the time?

How often do you give the emperor a new set of clothes?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 12:11:19 pm »
I don't play as much as I used to, so don't change strings that often, but new strings sound noticeably brighter and better.

By playing regularly, he probably means a competent player playing and practising constantly. For beginners, every 2-3 months is probably a good time.

You have to stretch your string after changing, then they settle in really quick, a couple of days of tweaks at most.

Offline maggard

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 02:10:42 pm »
I play about an hour a day and change my strings about once a month.

I do use 80/20s and they don't seem to last as long.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App