Author Topic: String change  (Read 5385 times)

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: String change
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 11:12:55 pm »
Remember to only change one string at a time. I once removed all
and my neck twisted.

Sent from my LG-E971 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 11:29:54 pm »
Remember to only change one string at a time. I once removed all
and my neck twisted.

Sent from my LG-E971 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

That has never happened to any of my guitars, and I take all the strings off together. How else can you clean and/or oil the fretboard?

Come to that, how can one do a refret/crown without removing all the strings??
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 11:30:14 pm »
Goodness knows what and how that happened to your neck ... a massively over-tightened truss rod perhaps?
Removing all strings is fine, no problem, totally cool.
Don't remove them all, tighten your truss rod, take it for a day on the beach then a day in cold storage.
But for a short period whilst you clean & maintain is not a problem.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 11:36:44 pm »
There must be something wrong with your guitar then, because it's normally completely fine to remove all the strings.

I remove all the strings off my guitars all the time and it's never affected them. And it shouldn't. Bear in mind they aren't manufactured with strings on.

Removing all the strings is often desirable to get access to clean the fretboard and frets, and to oil it if necessary. I believe it's also recommended to remove the strings (or make them slack) when putting a guitar into long term storage, or for carrying in an aircraft hold.

Changing one string a time might be useful if you want to keep the tension on a movable bridge or similar. Otherwise I see no benefit to it.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 06:56:16 pm »
Guitar necks twisting tends to be down to a problem with the wood, has nothing to do with the strings.

Goodness knows what and how that happened to your neck ... a massively over-tightened truss rod perhaps?

A bowed neck, sure, a badly strained and bowed neck, very likely, but twisting ?
Never seen that happen from an over-tightened truss rod.
YMMV though.
From what i was taught, a twisted neck means the wood wasn't properly dried, or had different issues, like being cut at an angle across the grain of the wood (very, very rare and very unlikely, but i've seen two examples over the past 20 years).
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 08:27:11 pm »
Fair correction Dan

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 08:38:49 am »

New strings are D'addario EXP 26. Nice feeling and easy to fret. Very bright but I've learned that new strings sound bright. I give them a couple of days to break in.

Had this strings on for a week now. Sounds really really nice. But I find them a bit tougher on the fingers compared to the Martins Lifespans. If I play for more than 1/2 hour fingers start to hurt. Not too bad though. No pain, no gain...
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 08:40:30 am »
I removed all strings at the same time and cleaned the frets. No problems.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 02:12:26 pm »
Another string change yesterday. The old ones were really uncomfortable to play and sounded really dull no tone at all left. They were D'addario EXP 26. Expected them to last longer (coated strings) but 3 months with play almost every day was apparently to much.

New ones are Ernie Ball Earthwood. Never tried them before. Really nice strings very slick to play, I feel that the daddarios were more grippy and not so slick even when they were new. Feel that the Ernie Balls are easier to strum also, pick glides really easy over the strings. Could be imagination though.

I have noticed when I have gotten a bit better at playing the guitar, i cant really stand old strings so boring and uncomfortable to play. Will change more often in the future.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 08:46:36 pm »
As i have mentioned a few times before in string question threads, coated strings do not last longer, wear wise.
They will not corrode (as much as) regular strings, but they still get stretched out more and more over time, get damaged, and eventually get a form of metal fatigue.
The coating won't prolong their lifespan, no matter how much spiel gets thrown at it.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2018, 07:40:16 am »
Thanks Dan, I think you are right, if you play every day coated strings wear out pretty fast also, i would say 6-8 weeks then they are dead.

Had the Ernie Balls on for three weeks now and played them for 30-60 mins every day, they still sound good to my ear and feel good to play. Cheap and great strings!

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 07:43:32 am »
Hello! Changed the strings on my guitar again this sunday. Only took me 20 mins this time  :)

New strings are Martin SP 3050 80/20 bronze. 11's. I am not that fond of them to be honest. Very rough on the fingers hurts pretty much and not slick at all. Also pretty quiet (but trebly) compared to Phosphor Bronze strings. They sound pretty good though but a bit quiet even when they are brand new.

I have never tried  80/20 Bronze strings earlier. Anyone else has the experience that these are more quiet than Phosphor Bronze?

My favourite strings so far after playing guitar for 2,5 years and tried several strings are Ernie Ball Earthwood Phosphor Bronze.

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 01:44:48 am »
80/20 bronze is more trebly/tinny sounding, perhaps that makes them seem quieter.
Personally I'm also a fan of EB's Earthwood strings, sound good, last a decent while, and don't seem to corrode as fast as some others.

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 12:52:56 pm »
Thanks Dan! I start to really like the sound of the 80/20 strings. But they are really painful to play. I have played for 2,5 years and have real solid callouses but these ones hurts anyway. No nore Martin strings for me. I willl continue to try different strings.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 03:06:48 am »
You could just use the 'regular' Earthwoods (80/20), if you want to stick with that brand.
Those are the ones I use.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App