Author Topic: String change  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 161
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
Re: String change
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:52 pm »
for 6 weeks now.  starting to lose some tone.

Six weeks ?
Man, i wish my strings lasted that long, the way i play they're dead in two to three weeks.

I'd say it's normal if you play fairly regularly, and depending on local climate and such.
For instance,i live close enough to the coast that my strings start to rust after seven to eight weeks if i don't change them.
I also want to point out that coated strings lose their tone as quickly as regular strings, but because the coating changes some of the sound characteristics, it's usually less pronounced.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »
This is all good information about how long before string changes.  I don't play more than 30-45 min per day and not even every day.  Sometimes on the weekend I might get 1.5-2 hours.  I last changed my strings back in April or May and I was thinking they were sounding a bit dead - particularly the 2nd string.  I've only used Ernie Ball Super Slinky, but thinking about trying something different.  Does anybody have any suggestions?
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 161
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 07:15:16 pm »
This is all good information about how long before string changes.  I don't play more than 30-45 min per day and not even every day.  Sometimes on the weekend I might get 1.5-2 hours.  I last changed my strings back in April or May and I was thinking they were sounding a bit dead - particularly the 2nd string.  I've only used Ernie Ball Super Slinky, but thinking about trying something different.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

SIT strings, or stick with the Ernie Ball, IMHO.
I use SIT and Ernie Ball on my electric and acoustic respectively, and i use d'Addario on my PRS SE Custom 24, because neither SIT nor Ernie Ball does the peculiar string gauge i use on that guitar...
But if i ever find another brand which i can easily find locally that does .09½, i'm switching over to that.
I am really not a fan of d'Addario.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:02 pm »

I am really not a fan of d'Addario.

Why?  Just personal preference, or is it a bad experience with tone or breakage?  What are your thoughts on chrome or all nickel or cobalt... or as a beginner in stage 7, should I not even think about that yet?
Finally, I was thinking about Fender Bullets... thoughts?
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 161
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 02:23:33 am »
Why?  Just personal preference, or is it a bad experience with tone or breakage? 

Breakage on new strings with very, very bad timing (middle of a gig).
And they tend to rust away like mad with me, no idea why.

What are your thoughts on chrome or all nickel or cobalt

They have their applications, each has their own sound, though that also depends on what pickups you're using, guitar used (specifically different scale lengths give different results).
More a matter of preference (like brands and gauges) than anything else, IMHO.

... or as a beginner in stage 7, should I not even think about that yet?

If helps you play better, or get closer to the sound you want, then whatever it is is relevant regardless of what level of experience you have.
Should it be the focal point of whatever you're doing ?
Nope, playing and learning are the only things that really matter.

Finally, I was thinking about Fender Bullets... thoughts?

Those used to be OEM's from d'Addario, going on the assumption they're still the cheapest OEM, they still are.
Otherwise they'll be the cheapest low end strings from whoever's now selling them cheaper than d'Addario does at wholesale level.
So i'm not a fan, but hey, some people love the damn things, so like with d'Addario : YMMV.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 01:05:20 pm »
Thanks for the input Dan, I appreciate it! :)

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 01:29:40 pm »
I like D'Addario pure nickels. Others don't.

It's nice to have choices :)

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
  • It's gonna take patience and time...
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 07:45:24 am »
New string change: Yesterday I changed my 4 months old D'addario (great strings, but they were really dead) and put on Martin Lifespan 7050 (coated strings). I like the sound of the Martins, very nice strumming sound both with fingers and a pick. A bit bright as always with new strings, but I guess it will be better after a couple of days playing.  What I dont like is the feel, they are a bit uncomfortable to the fingers and not as slick as the Elixir coated strings I had before. Hopefully I get used to them, it's not too bad and they sound good.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 08:24:39 am »
I always keep a a few Ernie Ball 10's in my bag. They are available from Amazon for about a £5 in a 6 pack I think.

I only use D'addario extra light flatwounds and stick on one of the Ernie's if I occasionally break a high E. To my untrained ear, one 10 gauge high E is pretty much like any other.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App