Author Topic: String change  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
  • It's gonna take patience and time...
String change
« on: June 29, 2017, 06:26:16 am »
Yesterday I removed my 6 months old elixir strings, they were completely dead and also started to stick on the fingers so it was about time. I put on d'addario phosphor bronze. The new strings feel and sound very nice. Never liked the tone of the Elixirs (way to bright) so not sure why I didn't change earlier.

It was the first string change ever done by myself. It was not difficult and quite fun. So don't be afraid to do it if you havent done it before. I will change strings more often in the future that's for sure.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
Re: String change
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:15:00 am »
That's the kick up the @£$e I needed. I've never changed mine.  I need to watch justin video on how to do it. How long did it take?

Sent from my SM-G900F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:37:32 am »
I took it very slow so maybe 1.5 hours in total, but I had to stop for at least half an hour for family duties. Was very careful when I tuned up the strings, afraid to break one. But it didn't happen. Also make sure to stretch the strings and re-tune. Follow Justins video and there should be no problem. Had a little problem with the thickest string since it was the hardest to wind around the pins, but really not difficult.

When you get used to it, i guess it wont take more than 15-20 minutes.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 07:39:16 am »
After you've done it a few times, shouldn't take more than 10-15mins

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:46:48 am »
10-15 minutes when a little experienced.
However, it usually takes me quite a bit longer because a always end up cleaning and wiping off the entire guitar when the strings are off. Quite therapeutic in a sense. I like the process.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:03:40 am »
And it is also good to be all practised up for that time when you break one during band practice or a party where you are playing or at a gig.

Have that spare set ready in the pocket of your gigbag.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 08:35:25 am »
Ah, that's a pointer right there... Having a spare set of strings... Changed my strings recently for the first time. NOW i know how a dead sting sounds like.  :o
But i didn't think about ordering 2 sets...

I found the information on Bax shop, about changing strings quit helpful. Took me about half an hour. When reading this post, i found out what i also forgot to do... Clean the guitar....

Sooo, come winter, i'll be changing ànd cleaning again... ;D
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:40:33 am »
And it is also good to be all practised up for that time when you break one during band practice or a party where you are playing or at a gig.

Have that spare set ready in the pocket of your gigbag.

Our lead guitarist broke a string at the last two practice sessions. It is kind of odd as he never broke a string before (Neither have I). From that first time he broke a string I started bringing a spare set for both electric and acoustic.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.

Offline hilts17

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:32:19 pm »
This thread inspired me. I've been thinking I really need to take the plunge and learn how to change my own strings. I'm way overdue for a string change too. So, today I stopped in at my local music store and bought a set of D'Addario strings and a D'Addario Pro-Winder. So the winder is like the one Justin uses in his string changing tutorial. It has the string cutter, pin puller....the works. I'll attempt the actual change later today.
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 06:05:34 pm »
Good for you Hilts. I think changing strings is something everyone should do themselves. It is not difficult after a few tries and I think it improves on your relationship with your instrument, so to speak.
/Jesper

Offline hilts17

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 07:01:57 pm »
Good for you Hilts. I think changing strings is something everyone should do themselves. It is not difficult after a few tries and I think it improves on your relationship with your instrument, so to speak.

Just finished changing strings. I brought up Justin's video, stopped/started it multiple times and didn't rush it. I must say, it wasn't difficult. I got the strings to wind on the pegs exactly as Justin demonstrated, stretched the strings, got it in tune and.....WOW! I knew I was overdue but my goodness, the way my new strings sound!!! The sound just jumps out at me again! From now on, it is only I who will change my strings and for sure I won't keep strings on too long any more. Thanks again Justin! ;)
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:16 pm »
/Jesper

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 07:04:57 pm »
This thread inspired me. I've been thinking I really need to take the plunge and learn how to change my own strings. I'm way overdue for a string change too. So, today I stopped in at my local music store and bought a set of D'Addario strings and a D'Addario Pro-Winder. So the winder is like the one Justin uses in his string changing tutorial. It has the string cutter, pin puller....the works. I'll attempt the actual change later today.
Just after reading this comment earlier I picked up my electric and within 5 minutes I broke my high E string

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 09:51:50 am »
Just finished changing strings. I brought up Justin's video, stopped/started it multiple times and didn't rush it. I must say, it wasn't difficult. I got the strings to wind on the pegs exactly as Justin demonstrated, stretched the strings, got it in tune and.....WOW! I knew I was overdue but my goodness, the way my new strings sound!!! The sound just jumps out at me again! From now on, it is only I who will change my strings and for sure I won't keep strings on too long any more. Thanks again Justin! ;)

Glad that my post inspired you to change strings! I will also change my strings myself from now on.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 08:08:18 am »
The new D'addario Phosphor Bronze on for 6 weeks now. I really like the tone and feel of them, great strings! But they for sure wear out faster than the Elixir coated strings. Still sound ok but starting to lose some tone. Maybe time for another change soon. Any recommendations for strings to try? I mostly strum chords and play some Oasis, Beatles and Dylan. I did not like the Elixir Nanoweb, too bright.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App