Author Topic: What should I use to record myself?  (Read 401 times)

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
What should I use to record myself?
« on: June 21, 2017, 05:48:26 pm »
Hey, What program should I use to record myself. I am almost through my first month of practicing and I wanted to share my struggle with you all:)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
  • Well I am working on it.
Re: What should I use to record myself?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 07:37:09 pm »
Hey, What program should I use to record myself. I am almost through my first month of practicing and I wanted to share my struggle with you all:)

Hi,
Audacity is free and works. But I would rather use Reaper myself and a full working demo can be had here:
http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

The Reaper demo is good for 60 days and still runs fine after that, just with a reminder delay at the start. But in 2 months you should know if it is a keeper and you can then get a full license for $60 and it will last you years....

Not to be lost in all this is that DAWs are kind of tricky to learn. So Reaper has a ton of very HQ videos and they can be found here:
http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php  -  These videos will show you just about everything you would want to know about the DAW and or recording aspect!

Enjoy and welcome to recording!
LB
I sense a change in musical direction!

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:53 am »
Tnx, will check them both. I am curious how I sound when I hear myself play. Its gonna be a shock I think.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:40:10 am »
To be honest with you Paul if you've got a half decent mobile/cell phone you'll probably get a good enough recording for your first go from those. You'll soon want to move on to something better but it'll give you the personal feedback you want.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:18 am »
+1 ∆∆∆∆∆∆
I've been doing that for a while now just to listen to myself playing to see how thing are progressing, it's a great aid to record practice of what you're learning from the start. I also posted my first song I learned on here using my phone and will do the same until I can justify buying something better.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:31:03 pm »
You are absolutely right. So I did just that. Sounds a bit wonky and out of rhythym. Its strange to hear yourself play. I will practice a bit more and than I will post something here.

Offline anthonyja85

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 09:38:41 pm »
Hi all, I thought I would just hijack this thread instead of creating a useless thread that probably has my question asked before. 

I just started Stage 1 and Justin talks about recording random chords into Itunes and playing them back on shuffle mode to guess them to develop your ear.  What device would you guys recommend since I'm not tech savvy at all?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 09:44:36 pm »
If you have a smart phone that's fine, no need for elaborate recording facilities just to check yourself and simple stuff.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App