Author Topic: a/b switch  (Read 952 times)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
a/b switch
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:03:22 am »
I need an a/b switch to connect two guitars to one amp to avoid unplugging and plugging all the time.
I am playing rythm guitar in the band which means that I switch between acoustic and electric guitar a lot depending on the setlist.
My amp is a Boss Katana which has a quite good preamp for acoustic guitar, but switching cable is kind of annoying and it is much faster to just grab the guitar and push a button.

I looked at Thomann for a/b switches but there are quite a lot so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has experience to share.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline wardo1219

• Good Vibes 0
Re: a/b switch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:40:42 pm »
If you can solder building your own is super easy

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:30:50 pm »
If you can solder building your own is super easy

For the price of these thingies I won't even bother.
I went down that road once installing pickups and pots but it never really appealed to me.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.

Offline wardo1219

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:05:51 pm »
I would have to agree they are cheap. I do like all of that stuff though. I tend to forget that not everyone enjoys the building part. I don't even know how to play. I just build pedals and guitars. That sounds crazy I guess. That is what is so great about guitars and music, you don't need to play to love it all

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:14:08 am »
These seem really nice (true bypass, and I like the individual preamps for each input and the mixer mode). I don't currently have one, but it's the one I'd get.

Tangent: have you looked into the "sneaky amps" in the Katana (or the Android or FX Floorboard applications as an alternative to Tone Studio)?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:03:15 am »
Thanks for the link. It does look nice but somewhat overkill for my purpose.
I'm ordering this one
https://www.thomann.de/dk/lead_foot_aby.htm
Doesn't need external power which is a big deal for me because I like to keep the cabling to a minimum. Using the Katana and the footswitch requires just one connection.

The Sneakyamps:
Yes, I tried that and it is a great big rabbithole to dive into and this is not the time for me to do that. The amps in there sounds great, but I love the factory preamps and I am set to stick with those to keep things simple..... For now, that is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
/Jesper

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 10:28:31 am »
The Sneakyamps:
Yes, I tried that and it is a great big rabbithole to dive into and this is not the time for me to do that. The amps in there sounds great, but I love the factory preamps and I am set to stick with those to keep things simple..... For now, that is.

Yeah, I hear you. I've messed with them, too, but all my current channel presets use the factory-available preamps. A lot of people were saying the Clean Twin preamp model was nice, but I didn't think it sounded that great. I prefer the Katana's regular clean (Jazz Chorus based?). I wonder if Boss did some tweaking to the models that they made factory-available.

I am tempted to make some patches with FX Floorboard (since you can get more effects enabled at once that way), but I haven't bothered, yet. I liked the Rat and Guv'nor drives, too.

Have you tried the settings where you run your master on full and use the power setting to lower the overall volume?  I liked the way that made the amp respond (especially with the presence up high, too). However, it makes me wish there were some power settings in between the 0.5w and 50w settings.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:44:53 am »
Have you tried the settings where you run your master on full and use the power setting to lower the overall volume?  I liked the way that made the amp respond (especially with the presence up high, too). However, it makes me wish there were some power settings in between the 0.5w and 50w settings.

I'm going to at the next rehearsal. It is part of my "explore the amp" quest. My hope is to downsize my presets to one basic crunch mode with the master full throttle, channel volume and gain to a solid crunch sound and using the guitar volume knob to clean up when needed. Target is a good semi crunch with guitar volume at about 7.
Gives room for both cleaner and crunchier.
/Jesper

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:36:48 pm »
My hope is to downsize my presets to one basic crunch mode with the master full throttle, channel volume and gain to a solid crunch sound and using the guitar volume knob to clean up when needed.
Yeah, that's how I like my core sound set up, too.

Are you mic'ing the amp and going into a PA for performances, or just using the amp's speakers?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 03:06:21 pm »
We are still building repertoire, so for now we only play in the rehearsal space where the amp is plenty.
When we get to gig it'll depend on the venue.
/Jesper

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 05:43:38 pm »
We are still building repertoire, so for now we only play in the rehearsal space where the amp is plenty.

Yeah, I bet! The Katana 100/212 is plenty loud.

What does your singer do to be heard at rehearsal?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 06:17:12 pm »
Yeah, I bet! The Katana 100/212 is plenty loud.

What does your singer do to be heard at rehearsal?

Yup. Even at the 50 Watt setting it is plenty loud. The 112 or even 50 would have sufficed, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

Our singer is hooked up to a small PA. She's pretty loud through that.
/Jesper

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 10:45:08 pm »
Yup. Even at the 50 Watt setting it is plenty loud. The 112 or even 50 would have sufficed, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

FWIW, I played through the 112 and the 212, and thought the 212 sounded better, so I think you did well to get the 212. I have a lingering doubt that maybe I should've picked up the head, instead, but the store didn't have any in stock when I was there.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 11:01:08 pm »
I did consider the head but I'd have to get a cab as well. Too much lugging already!
/Jesper

Get The Forum As A Mobile App