Author Topic: Fender Champion 40 Chirping Noise  (Read 650 times)

Offline douge47ca

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Fender Champion 40 Chirping Noise
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:10 pm »
I fired up my fender champ 40 this morning only to discover it is generating an interesting, yet annoying chirping sound.  The amp is about 4 years old and I have never had an issue with it.  I rarely play it much beyond a volume setting of 2-3 as I live in a small townhouse.  The only change from my normal practice through this amp is I put my evh 5150 overdrive pedal in front of it.  I have played it off and on with this pedal for about a week.

The chirping is there whether the pedal is on or off, with different guitars, and with different cables.  I also moved the amp to my garage where there is little to no electrical interference and it still chirps.  My question is, has anyone experienced this? I am curious if the OD pedal may have screwed something up.  I am taking it into guitar center this Friday and hopefully they can solve the issue.  In the mean time, if anyone has some thoughts on this I would appreciate hearing them.
thanks,
Doug

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
Re: Fender Champion 40 Chirping Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:23 pm »
I dont have this amp but did a quick search for fender champ chirping. A number of people reported similar issues usually related to tube issues . Might be worth swapping out the tubes if thats possible.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline douge47ca

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:33:00 pm »
Thanks Rossco....I saw some similar posts online but this amp, as far as I know, doesn't have tubes.  I could be wrong as I Have never opened up the insides but I thought modeling amps were transistor based without tubes.  I'll keep poking around to educate myself on this and will follow up with what the repair man has to say.  thanks again!

Offline tbaac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:36:27 pm »
Possibly a bit of confusion over Fender Champ vs the much newer modelling Fender Champion.
The latter is similar to a Mustang but without the usb interface and Fuse.

I used to have a Fender Champion 40 before trading it in recently.
Didn't experience the issue that you've got though sorry.
GL.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:22:21 pm »
Do you have reverb turned up?

Some reverbs can sound a bit chirpy.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline douge47ca

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:39:11 pm »
Thanks tbaac...
Majik...I didn't play around with the reverb or any of the Fx or voice settings.  Ill plug it back in in a bit and give that a try to see if it impacts the chirping...thanks

Offline douge47ca

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:08:27 am »
Ok...I turned it back on with the same guitar and without touching anything the chirping is now gone.  (the amp is still in the garage away from electrical interference...same place it was the last time I heard the chirping)   After playing for a couple of minutes without the chirping I started playing around with the Fx and voice settings as well as going between clean and dirty and different volume levels and there's still no chirping.  It seems like a possible intermittent failure or something is starting to go out.  Ill play around over the next few days and see if it comes back.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:17:38 am by douge47ca »

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:16 pm »
Could it be one of the controls I believe they are like a rehostat and possibly had some dust in it there is a cleaner that you spray in them something like carbon tect if the noise is gone leave all alone and enjoy

Sent from my LG-E971 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline douge47ca

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 07:39:45 pm »
thanks dman2 and you may be on to something.  I played it again in the garage a little bit ago and no chirping.  I fiddled with the knobs a little to try to induce the chirp but so far its behaving normally.  The more I thought about it, I rarely adjust the knobs on this amp as it is my "practice while watching tv" amp so dust accumulation could be the cause.  Time will tell.  I was initially thinking maybe adding the overdrive pedal may have caused problems but so far I don't think that's the case.  Im going to bring it back in the house this weekend and put the OD pedal back in line and see what happens.

Offline douge47ca

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 07:25:56 pm »
I've been playing the amp now for about a week with no chirping noise.  Im guessing at this point that it may have been some dust or dirt on one of the knobs.  If anything changes Ill update this thread but it looks like the amp is back up and running normally.  thanks to all who chimed in with some input.  Much appreciated!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App