Author Topic: Practical scale application lesson  (Read 289 times)

Offline edwin

• Good Vibes 0
Practical scale application lesson
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:10:37 am »
Hi all

I used to play self-taught, camp fire guitar when I was 'much younger', and now decided to fulfill my teenage dream to play electric guitar like my heroes, kidding, I just want to play correctly and I want to understand the basic theory of playing guitar. hope it's not too late :)

I have done Justin's Practical Music Theory as well as the Master the Major Scale DVD which are the most useful and most important starting point for me to get serious with my guitar playing. Now I know how the chords are constructed and what scale is, etc.

My question is where do I go next if I want to be able to solo fluidly using at least the most of the common scales?, what I am looking for is a practical guide/lesson/course on how to apply correct scale(s) in soloing over a chord progression.
If I understand it correctly, I have to remember all the notes in a progression to decide which scale(s) to use, is that correct? But I found it too much and not too practical for casual, hobby player like me.
Another big missing piece is how/when do we use minor instead of major or minor pentatonic, or even blues scale?

Where can I find the practical lessons/guides on those topics?

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Edwin

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
Re: Practical scale application lesson
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:42:23 am »
The Blues Lead course gives another, highly practical way of seeing the notes on the neck and using them for lead.

What you asked about remembering all the notes etc can be a long term goal, but try the Licks based approach of the BL course first.

Also, buy a looper pedal, or at the very least use backing tracks.

After knowing the G Major Scale so well from MtMS, and learning A Dorian on the BL, something may click, and then the next theory place you can go, after having completed the BL, and consolidated it, is the Modes section.

Another useful place is the Arpeggio section, and a great introduction to that is the Jazz Up Your Blues course.

After all that, you can try dabbling in Jazz, and return to your questions from above, with a different perspective.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline edwin

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Practical scale application lesson
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:30:29 am »
Wow, looks like I have to solve the puzzle myself :)
But I'll try though, and thanks for the advice.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App