Author Topic: Rien ne va plus - chord variations  (Read 4782 times)

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
Rien ne va plus - chord variations
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:29:15 pm »
I’ve been watching some of Justin’s shape explorer lessons and decided to experiment myself  :)

One of my recent songs, which was written and recorded somewhat hastily, has a straightforward Am Em G D (bridge C Dm G E). https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=45815.0

I tried substituting Am7/13 Em7 G6 Dsus4, and Dsus2 in the bridge - (Not sure if those chord names are correct, but J says it doesn’t matter). https://drive.google.com/open?id=17hu_cQjR6xb0NsSVsjM3-LBhfUwJn7p_

I know the rule ‘if it sounds good, it is’, but I’m also aware of my ability to make the same mistakes long enough to think it’s right  ::)
Am I over-egging the pudding here, or are the chord variations an improvement?

Happy for opinions and even better- suggestions

(I am well aware that the song structure is unconventional and the bits at the end are purely for my entertainment.)

Cheers

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 357
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Rien ne va plus - chord variations
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:29:30 am »
Sounded good me Brian and the little embellishments work for me ... I'd egg you on, rather than call it over-egging (love your turn of phrase, in comments as well as lyrics).

Above my play-grade to offer too much by way of critique.  All I'd say in the simple verse section I though the Dsus4 could be held longer, maybe play it earlier and return to simple D before the change?  Perhaps play around with the Dsus2 as well?

Good on you for exploring this and sharing.

And it is a great song ... you have a certain something.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:55:40 pm »
Thanks David  :)

I had forgotten to respond to this.
It'll be interesting to see whether I will be able to do this kind of thing instinctively as time progresses, or whether it will remain only a 'learned' thing.
I'll try your suggestions on the D variations :)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:11:58 am »
Hey Brian
I’ve just come across this post! That was great, why don’t you update it and post in AVoYP? I’ve realised there are gems hiding in the darkest corners of the forum!
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App