Author Topic: Baby One More Time  (Read 2035 times)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
Baby One More Time
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:46:09 am »
https://youtu.be/m_uMHqDp4Rw

I've been trying to memorize this. The 3rd verse is the hardest to remember. Also tips on how to improve strumming and dynamics would be welcome. Also any other constructive comments. Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
Re: Baby One More Time
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 03:04:37 am »
I like your voice, and you changes are (mostly) fast enough. The hint to think about now is dynamics in your guitar playing. Identically played pumping 8s will get boring. Think about how to make the verses different from the chorus. It could be with your strumming hand - like, palm muting in the verses, then full strums for the chorus and climax. Or, power chords in the verses then full chords in the chorus. Or, pumping 8s in the verse, then 8th note strumming in the choruses.

Your base is coming on - think about how to tart it up.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »
Thanks Dr Winterbourne. Had to do a little research on power chords and 8th note strumming. When I did, I learned what the difference is between 8th and 16th nite strumming. I will give all of these a try. Thanks for helping me try new things.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:39:29 pm »
Well done, Pam.

Keep on trying new things that stretch and challenge you.  The place of learning is just outside our comfort zone.

Nothing further to add in terms of improving ...

Cheers
David

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 129
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:20:39 pm »
I agree with Dr. W about the rhythm.  While I'm really not familiar with this song, the words lead me to believe someone is conflicted, and I feel tension in it.  Just playing along with your vid I felt the the attached rhythm pattern. (just an example)  Hit the bass note strum the chord, then abbreviate the ringing by touching the strings with your hand.  A pattern like this would also give room for your voice to come through.   I didn't do the chorus, but that would probably be a good place to play more openly and have some release in the feeling.   There are a number of different patterns and techniques you can use, most of which Dr. W. listed.  Experiment.  Have fun with it.

https://app.box.com/s/toac3v5ed3yir28n60wlnfeo3sosnn75

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 05:39:07 pm »
I just figured out what song this is! You're amazing, Pam. I love it! You have totally transformed it into a beautiful new song from the dance/pop version.

I think that you should just keep playing it as you are and let yourself discover the strumming pattern. It will happen if you let it. Or, you could REALLY transform it by working out a finger picking pattern. I know you're not at that stage yet, but when you start.

Once again, lovely voice. Well sung.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 08:08:40 pm »
Well played. For the dynamics, as Justin suggests, if you're pumping 8ths then try to put an accent on beats 2 and 4. Or, try to put an accent on all the downbeats and then just lightly brush the bass strings on the upbeats.

I think of this song as having 3 parts (verse, pre chorus and chorus, and bridge). The chord progression is the same for the first 2 parts and similar for the 3rd. To distinguish them you want each part to have a different feel. You can achieve that with volume, dynamics, and rhythm.

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 12:17:02 pm »
DavidP thanks for commenting. Oldhead49, your link helps a lot on explaining what you mean. Very pretty. Redrhodie, that's good advice to discover a strumming pattern on my own. That should bring out a person's individual style. I'm just now working on my first finger-picking on a song. So much fun!

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 12:39:56 pm »
Thanks SiegeFrog!  I have so many variations to try on this song now!  Going to try the light brush on the bass. I agree about the 3-parts variation. That 3rd part is the hardest for me. I will continue to try to improve this. 

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
Pam

Given where you are in the BC this is good stuff, solid rhythm and the fact your singing as well is brilliant. Now lots of folks are talking about dynamics and 1/8s 1/16s, all that stuff but don't sweat about that at all for now. Justin recommends sticking with those "simple" 1 down strum per beat until stage 8, its all about building a good solid foundation which most folk never get as they rush ahead trying to play fancy fast patterns. KISS sums up the BC and what you doing now and that GOOD.

As a die hard rocker it killed me to play this when doing my apprenticeship here but it taught me a lot to play outside my audible comfort zone.

Well done.

Toby
  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 09:59:22 pm »
Thanks Tobyjenner. Good to know about the 1 down strumming until stage 8. I'm definitely taking it slow. Too slow maybe, but I make sure to practice each lesson 7 days and then move on. I've always liked that song. Was thrilled when I saw it in the lesson book. One of which I decided to commit to memory.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App