Author Topic: Tosh's (phx1973) roadcase  (Read 10358 times)

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
Tosh's (phx1973) roadcase
« on: May 06, 2017, 10:21:44 pm »
Hi all,

I have been on this site just about as long as I've been learning guitar- almost three years. My first post here was in September of 2014, right around the time I started the beginners course. I have since finished that and am now making my way through the intermediate course. I hope to finish that and then move on to the blues courses after that. Having moved halfway across the country in my early 40s and leaving all my family and friends behind, I figured learning an instrument would be a fun and productive activity in my spare time. I'm a financial director for the local university, and am married with three kids ages one through 10. So who am I kidding, there is no spare time! LOL.

Okay, onto the fun stuff - all the money I have spent in the last three years, ha ha.

My First guitar was a New Fender Standard MIM Telecaster. This is still my favorite guitar. I just love the way it feels and sounds. I have swapped out the pick ups for Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers - The next pick up is a vintage stack in the bridge pick up is a little 59. I think they sound great. Although they've added some richness to the tone I think it still has quite a bit of that tele twang.

About a year later I bought my next guitar used. It's a 2011 Gibson Les Paul Junior with one P90 pick up in the bridge. A totally different animal but I love this guitar too.

Enter guitar number three, which I have only had for a couple months now. A G&L Fallout (tribute model). P90 neck pickup and a full humbucker in the bridge. Plus a coil tap in the bridge for single coil tones.

My wife recently bought me a nice three guitar stand to hold them all. I'm afraid this is her way of telling me I am done buying guitars for a while. Ha ha!

I started out with a Fender Mustang II amp. But as Justin said would happen I soon got the itch for a tube amp. Per his recommendation I went with the Fender blues Junior. I got the lacquered tweed model, which has a Jensen speaker in it that I think sounds a lot better. And that tweet covering is just awesome.

I've also started putting together a pedal board. I want to add a compression pedal and a looper, then I should be good for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
Re: Tosh's (phx1973) roadcase
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:27:34 pm »
That's a nice rig, man.

But you probably need another guitar.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:04:11 am »
That's a nice rig, man.

But you probably need another guitar.

I love it!

Offline 9thChapter

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 04:03:12 pm »
Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ganzo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:26:11 am »
I wonder how much a fender guitar cost now..that has been my dream guitar..but I lack the means to get one..am using a Givson guitar which is old now..hmmmm..wish I had a collection like this I would have improved far better than I have done

Sent from my E7 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:14:28 am »
Nice road case there, Tosh. Is it just me or are you missing an acoustic ;) ?
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 03:03:56 pm »
Some people just can't make up their mind!

So first I bought a Fender Bassbreaker 15 about 6 months ago; then, some on the forum might remember my post about returning it before the Guitar Center 45 days timeline ended, and taking a Blues Junior instead.

Well, it didn't take very long to realize that wasn't the right move, at least for my musical style. I really started to miss it after a while and also started to hate the gain sound on the Blues Junior, or lack thereof. So I traded it for yet another Bassbreaker 15 during Guitar Center's recent trade-in promotion. I'm looking forward to trying out the effects loop too, as I know some have had issues with it. Really hope it works properly! So far loving this amp though. Happy reunion to me.

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 03:04:32 pm »
Nice road case there, Tosh. Is it just me or are you missing an acoustic ;) ?

I totally am! Haha

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
Possible band audition upcoming
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 09:11:57 pm »
Update - For a while now I have been wanting somebody to play with; not necessarily a band situation, though that would probably be the ultimate goal. Anyway, I found an online post of somebody from my city looking to start a band. He stated similar musical styles to mine and that he was looking basically for all the pieces to form a band, in which he would play lead guitar. Looking for a singer, bassist, drummer, and rhythm guitar player. It seemed legit and the post was fairly recent so I sent him a text message. Turns out he now has all the pieces together except for a rhythm guitar player - having hired a drummer, bassist, and singer. He invited me to come practice with them -- so I guess a "sort of" audition. But I appreciated that he made it very informal sounding, probably for my benefit. Here are my concerns:

- Am I really good enough, being just midway through Justin's IM course? Based on the genre, It sounds like the kind of stuff I mainly play for fun anyway. I've got down the minor pentatonic, major scale, open chords, power chords, E-shape and A-shape major barre chords. But obviously there is a lot I don't know.

- I wouldn't feel at all comfortable just "jamming" with somebody. Don't understand music theory, keys, etc. If I rehearsed a song or helped write a song that's another thing. But it makes me worry about just showing up for a jam session that I'll look like a fool.

Age: I get the impression these are young whipper snappers (haha). This is a college town and I have reason to believe they are all around that age. Whereas I am a 44 year old professor, husband, father, etc. Obviously very different stage of life. That in itself makes me a little uncomfortable, but I figure it's worth taking a shot.

I should mention this isn't a done deal. He is going to check with the other members.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my story of excitement and anxiety rolled into one. haha. Thoughts, similar experiences? How do I even prepare for such a meeting/audition.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:44:13 pm »
If the rest of the band accepts, go with it.
My guess is that you are plenty prepared for a position as rythm guitarist and playing in a band is a great way to evolve as a musician.
When playing music together you will realize that age doesn't matter. But, it can become an issue when putting down the instruments. But, try it out. No matter which way it goes you learn a lot.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 11:35:12 pm »
If the rest of the band accepts, go with it.
My guess is that you are plenty prepared for a position as rythm guitarist and playing in a band is a great way to evolve as a musician.
When playing music together you will realize that age doesn't matter. But, it can become an issue when putting down the instruments. But, try it out. No matter which way it goes you learn a lot.
Good advice, thanks Joerfe

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 04:40:55 pm »
Updated pedalboard with the newest addition, Boss CS-3. Powering with a Tru-Tone 1-spot and the 8-piece daisy chain.

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 04:43:14 pm »
2014 Fender Deluxe Lone Star Stratocaster. New Guitar makes 4.

Online Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 06:55:49 pm »
 :) A very nice addititon to an already very nice collection.  Better ask the wife for a new stand.... :o

Liked reading your case and looking at the collection. Great to hear your (already now?) playing in a band. Keep up the good work!!
We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »

I want Boss DS-1 or 2 and Ibanez Tube Screamer. 😬
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:32:06 am by close2u »

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 07:54:58 pm »
I want Boss DS-1 or 2 and Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Works well for me. I tend to use tubescreamer for blues and the boss ds1 for rock. I ask really like the Fultone OCD pedal

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 10:45:03 pm »
Classy collection there!

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Guitars: Collings OM2H, Martin Dreadknought Junior, Fender MIA Std Stratocaster, Admira A2 Classical
Amps and Pedals: Blackstar HT1R, Boss GT1
Favourite Styles: Finger Style, Blues, Folk, Rock
Favourite Guitarists: Knopfler, Clapton, Greenwood, Jimmy

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 06:42:45 pm »
Got my first acoustic in many years (definitely my nicest one). This thing plays and looks sweet! Oh happy days.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:16 pm »
Does look good ... wish you many years of joyful playing

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 11:35:47 pm »
An acoustic .... yes. Happy for you Tosh. Does this make 5 now?

Did you join the band?
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 02:21:09 am »
An acoustic .... yes. Happy for you Tosh. Does this make 5 now?

Did you join the band?

Yes, 5 guitars. My wife says I'm done buying guitars, but she says that often. haha.

No, I didn't join the band. Actually never even met with them. They meet kind of far from me. But the bigger thing is that I just thought it wasn't the right move for my stage of life right now. I'm working crazy hours, 3 small kids including a baby, and finding time to even practice by myself regularly is tough enough -- the idea of mixing in band practice, etc., started to stress me out. I still want to do it, either with these guys or somebody else -- just not right this moment.

The other thing on my mind regarding the band was that it would be great to keep progressing on my own. I'm still not very good at barre chords and I think my rhythm needs work still. Thank you for asking! 

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 03:10:15 am »
No, I didn't join the band. Actually never even met with them. They meet kind of far from me. But the bigger thing is that I just thought it wasn't the right move for my stage of life right now. I'm working crazy hours, 3 small kids including a baby, and finding time to even practice by myself regularly is tough enough -- the idea of mixing in band practice, etc., started to stress me out. I still want to do it, either with these guys or somebody else -- just not right this moment.

The other thing on my mind regarding the band was that it would be great to keep progressing on my own. I'm still not very good at barre chords and I think my rhythm needs work still. Thank you for asking!

Sounds like a good plan Tosh. Just finding time for you in all these responsibilites will be enough of a challenge.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 634
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 09:32:39 am »
Nice one Josh - make that bird sing!
 8)

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
Tosh's (phx1973) roadcase
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2020, 06:52:03 pm »
Well, the subject line essentially says it all. My wife and I (and 3 kids) are building a house, assuming we can sell our current house. It's a semi-custom home, meaning we get to be involved in the design to an extent (choosing paint colors, certain kitchen aspects, etc). It is supposed to be complete in December. We don't have a contract on it yet, as we want to get into a contract selling our house first. But things are looking good. Very exciting!

It's going to have a large (30 foot) enclosed patio (what we call a 3 seasons room). Already envisioning me and my acoustic guitar in there :-)

But here is the question for the forum members. For the first time I will have my own office (which I am also considering my guitar room). It's not huge (10 x 12) and will have my desk/computer stuff, maybe a dresser / book shelves. Other than that I'm thinking about how to set this up for my guitar stuff. Since it's "semi-custom" I wondered about talking to the builder about creating something specifically for guitar. Like maybe having them do something on the walls specifically for my guitars. Of course, I could just put hooks on the wall after moving in (thinking of the way David P's room looks from his videos).

Anyway have any thoughts or suggestions? My current inventory:

-My Taylor 214CE DLX acoustic
-my 3 electrics (Tele, G&L Fallout, and Les Paul Junior)
-Blues Junior Amp, and pedalboard

Considering adding:

-a good chair for guitar playing. not sure what to consider.
 -a microphone, music stand, possibly an acoustic amp, and maybe a second acoustic or a resonator

Any thoughts, either design wise of the actual room, or related to my thoughts of new purchases? It's going to be great to have a room that is all mine, even if it is not a huge area! LOL.

Here’s a pic of the house in construction mode. 2nd floor just went up this week.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 634
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2020, 08:19:48 pm »
Immediate thoughts - no recommendations ... just WOW.

8) 8) 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App