Author Topic: stuartw  (Read 480 times)

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
stuartw
« on: April 06, 2021, 01:38:21 pm »
As I have noted in this post https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=46933.msg448589#msg448589 it’s just about a year since I started this journey.

As an update and start of this ‘road case’ I can happily say that I know a lot more about guitars and playing than I did a year ago. Still don’t know a lot but it’s a start!

I have just about finished Grade 1 of the Beginners course but find myself in a position where I am stuck and can’t really move on. Basically, I’m stuck on the ‘C’ chord, which has been the position for the last 3 months at least. I can form the chord slowly and it usually sounds OK. I can even take my hand off and replace and it usually sounds OK. What I can’t do is get close to 30 OMC’s with any chord combination that has C in it, well apart from C – Am, but that combination only moves 1 finger.  I have even tried songs with C in them to force it but the strumming/rhythm go out the window. Someone on here said take it slowly and then then speed it up. Slowly is all I can manage and my fingers just wont go to where they are supposed to with any speed. I must have spent hours trying to get this chord sorted! So at the moment not really sure what to do.

I have been practicing songs and some are OK but don’t sound like songs. I don't sing. Put it this way if I didn’t know what I was playing I wouldn’t be able to recognise the song. Dull and boring is the phrase, I think. The thought of doing Open Mic, playing live or even recording myself just fills me with dread at this point.
Seeing other forum members who have done all the beginner’s course and moving into intermediate at a similar timescale as me, or others posting videos every week, doesn’t help. Fair play to them that they can do this but must have a lot more time to practice. I know that I shouldn’t compare, and I generally don’t, but just sometimes it gets to me!!

To alleviate some of the boredom I have had a look at Beginners 2, and also music theory. Have been doing scales as well.

Someone asked the other day why did you start with this playing guitar thing and to be honest I don’t know. I know that I won’t get to the heights of others on here and am just plodding along but don’t really have any end goal. Perhaps I should.

There are a few negatives with this post but to be honest there isn’t that much to smile about at the moment. It’s not that much fun ☹

I've not given up yet though. I guess time will tell with this. Sometimes I think back to 'what if?' What if I had started 40 years ago? Would I still be playing? Would I be any good? Oh well, it is what it is!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: stuartw
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 02:10:19 pm »
Stuart, not sure what to say and/or suggest.

I can imagine that without goals and purpose, practice could be tough, especially when the going is tough.

Without singing to provide the melody I hear you that songs can sound a little dull. I don't know if you have watched tjc's posts in AVOYP. He uses the app which provides back rhythm and melody. It makes the songs without singing sound better and he seems to be having fun playing along.

As for the C chord, have you tried slowing down the process of making changes to and from C to chords other than Am? Changing between C and D, C and G would be good.  If the form, lift, re-form is working well now then maybe the same approach would help develop the control and muscle memory to make change.

I know such slow practice is tiresome but should get you there in the end. A little bit every day, while you play songs using the other chords you know. That frequency of practice is very helpful.

I have read lots of your posts and it sounds like you are making progress with C in your practice, which means you know it is possible.

And I suppose having goals and purpose makes it easier to stick to as close to daily discipline of practice as possible while you work to get this chord sorted.

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 02:26:11 pm »
I can imagine that without goals and purpose, practice could be tough, especially when the going is tough.
Well my goal was to 'play guitar' which, I know now, was very naive! There is a lot more to it than that.

Without singing to provide the melody I hear you that songs can sound a little dull. I don't know if you have watched tjc's posts in AVOYP. He uses the app which provides back rhythm and melody. It makes the songs without singing sound better and he seems to be having fun playing along.
I have seen these but don't have the app. Waiting form the pc version as the app on phone or tab is wat too small.

As for the C chord, have you tried slowing down the process of making changes to and from C to chords other than Am? Changing between C and D, C and G would be good.  If the form, lift, re-form is working well now then maybe the same approach would help develop the control and muscle memory to make change.
I have tried this slowed down but you would think it would be getting better by now.

I have read lots of your posts and it sounds like you are making progress with C in your practice, which means you know it is possible.
I am making progress with C. I can just about get my third finger where it should go. Still doesn't reach the back of the fret, but better than it was.

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 03:57:53 pm »
HI Stuartw, I'm experiencing the same problem as you but with the F chord (10 months with small progress)

The good news, you are making progress and it's important not to get despondent with the C chord. I would suggest take a break from the C chord for a while and do something on the guitar that you enjoy. For me, its learning a new song.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 188
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 04:30:39 pm »
Stuart

The main thing is not to measure yourself against anyone else's journey. It took me 22 months to get through the old Classic Beginner's Course and 6 months on the Stage with the Dreaded F Chord and I restarted the whole course 3 times. Other's whizzed by and moved on at seemingly impressive speed and then did the same with the Intermediate. Some time later some of those folks were coming back to ask some basic questions, that showed they had obviously skimmed a great deal of the lesson material AND video content, if they had not and had absorbed everything, those questions would not have been asked.

I spent an hour today working on some alternative 7th chords that I have been trying to get right for well over a year, as my fingers just don't want to fit the different fingering patterns. The inconsistency has been has been a pain in the butt, getting one out of 6 right and the next day muting strings, correcting resetting restarting, then maybe 4 out of 6, then zero. Aaaarrrggghhh. But finally today they started working cleanly, with very slow changes but changes all the same. Sometimes it just takes an eternity but we all have had a similar experience. But good to see you are not giving up !!

So keep doing what you are doing and don't make comparisons. You are making progress and ok having problems with one chord but keep working on the C and it will get there. In the meantime as others have said have fun and play songs with the chords you know and are comfortable with.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 70
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 05:00:58 pm »
Unfortunately we all learn at different speed which is dependant on so many different things - amount of time you practice a day, perhaps your predisposition too, I could go on and on. I am always trying to avoid comparing my play with others as in my opinion that is what social media are making people do and that's the reason why it makes people so depressed (saw even an article about it).

Just carry on, don't give up. I suggest training shapes and those changes even after your calluses starting to hurt but without a lot of pressure on the frets, just to train your brain to do the formation of chords automatically. It might take a while but eventually you will get there. And remember you have bunch of people here cheering and rooting for you so chin up :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Online GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 06:02:50 pm »
Stuart,

I’ve struggled with the C chord too and I’ve been trying to play since a year gone September. Something you said really rand a bell for me and may or may not help you but it was a big step forward for me to the point I’ve almost cracked the C chord.

You said your not getting your third finger in the right place near the fret.

Whilst I understand the goal is all fingers to land together I haven’t achieved that for all chords but most are so close I can achieve 60 OMC on both and am finally heading that way for C.

I spent a long time placing my first finger down first and  my third always fell short of the fret resulting in that awful dull twang on the A string. My solution, and I don’t recall where I read it, was to place my third finger down first on the A string (and muting the E string) and then placing fingers 2 and 1. This was a big breakthrough for me with c chord ringing clearly.

Worth a try if your doing it differently.
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 07:31:15 pm »
I agree. I have found several cords where I do better putting the 3rd finger first. C, D, Dm come to mind.

Not only does it help me reach far enough to the fret to sound clear, it also helps with speed and moving towards putting all the fingers down together. For some reason that dang 3rd digit suffers a long delay and won’t move until everything else is in place and I realize it isn’t. If it goes first, everything else follows.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 01:48:48 am »
Stuart, when the going gets tough ...

One question I ask myself  ...

"How would I feel in a month's time if I gave up now?"

Works every time for me. It makes the fire burn brighter and my mind turn to other ways of progressing and making music. It also deepens my determination to live without regret.

May your fire burn bright Stuart  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:30:14 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline kaiben

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 07:18:12 am »
Hi Stuart,
there are still people being slower than you, at least me. I am now for two years on Justins course. I finished grade 1 basically, but are still consolidating it. And also for me the changes to and from the C chord is the biggest problem. I am now a while trying to play 'Knockin on heavens door' which have changes from D to C and C to G. I get better every time, a little bit, and am nearly there, but not quite.
I have not give up ... yet.

Offline kevinuk81

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:02 am »
Stuart,

Concentrate on what you can do, comparing yourself to what others can do will get in your mind and get you thinking negatively, don't be thinking 'what if', you cannot go back in life, you only get today once, make the most of it.

As for the C and Dm chord, I don't use my 3rd finger, I use my little finger, I know it is wrong but it sounds better to me.

Never give up.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 06:24:19 pm »
Stuart,

Concentrate on what you can do, comparing yourself to what others can do will get in your mind and get you thinking negatively, don't be thinking 'what if', you cannot go back in life, you only get today once, make the most of it.

As for the C and Dm chord, I don't use my 3rd finger, I use my little finger, I know it is wrong but it sounds better to me.

Never give up.
Absolutely never give up but...... there is always a reason to use the correct fingers. If you play C using fingers 124 how are you going to play C7 which is quite a common chord? The same with Dm, lots of embellishments will no longer be available.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline kevinuk81

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 11:09:05 pm »
Haven't got to C7 chord yet, now I have looked at it, I can see I need to change how I play the C chord.

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 188
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 12:06:07 am »
Haven't got to C7 chord yet, now I have looked at it, I can see I need to change how I play the C chord.

Kevin

There will be many more like this, hence why Justin teaches the fingerings he does. Changing grips may make a few open chords easier but it really backs you into a corner musically, as there are so many little add ons and take offs that spice things up with a few digits that can moved away or added to the basic triad.

Hence, no quick wins, no short cuts. Simples.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 11:52:35 pm »
The good news, you are making progress and it's important not to get despondent with the C chord. I would suggest take a break from the C chord for a while and do something on the guitar that you enjoy. For me, its learning a new song.
True about making progress. Slow but sure, and yes I'm learning a new song (Stand By Me) which has C in it but is doable when slowed down.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App