Author Topic: Best Way To Mic A 2x12?  (Read 210 times)

Offline J.W.C.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
Best Way To Mic A 2x12?
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:41:11 pm »
Any opinions/experiences with the best way to mic a 2x12?

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 132
    • Point Fifty
Re: Best Way To Mic A 2x12?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:31:26 pm »
I would mic it as it was a 1x12; pick one speaker and put it on the cone position you'd like.
you could ad a condenser a few feet away and try to blend it?

my band Point Fifty

Offline J.W.C.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 03:01:10 am »
Okay, cool. FWIW, that was my first inclination, but I wasn't sure if I should mic both speakers or not. I'll give it a shot with one dynamic offset on one cone and a condenser out in front.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 315
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:09:14 am »
if you use two you can jet one on the coil edge and one on the cone.

If you do near/far you can sorta get the cone but aimed at coil too. Just be sure to get far in phase with the near.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »
I've had a little experience of micing a Marshall JVM 210C to go into a PA for a gig using an SM57/8. In my experience, just having the mic pointing at the centre of one of the speakers, an inch or two away, works well.

A lot of amps are quite "beamy" and if you put the mic off-axis you may have to crank the power to get enough sound pressure at the mic to drive the PA well, and this creates it's own problems in a gig situation.

If you are recording rather than gigging, then your parameters may be different. For instance, you may be wanting to crank the amp to get some saturation from the power tubes (which may be unachievable in many gigging situations). In that case you may find an off-axis mic easier to manage, or that it gives you a nicer tone. And you have the option of dual-micing although as TB-AV says, you have to be careful of phasing issues.

In the recording case, a lot of it will be down to experimentation and the sound you like. There is no single "right way", but starting with a dynamic mic pointing directly at the centre of one of the speakers is a good starting point

I would not bother dual micing for a gig; you are asking for a lot of additional pain for a negligible benefit.

Also, it depends which mics you are using. Be careful as some mics can be damaged by high sound pressures. Dynamic mics, like the SM57/58 and most modern condenser (and even many ribbon mics) are generally OK, but it's best to check.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Roland Cube 20X
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 08:45:28 am »
I would mic it as it was a 1x12; pick one speaker and put it on the cone position you'd like.

^^^This^^^

Put a single 57 near the grille. Center of the cone has more bite/highs. Edge of the cone has more low end.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App