Author Topic: PA System  (Read 252 times)

Offline willsie01

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
PA System
« on: May 01, 2017, 03:05:47 pm »
I've got an electro acoustic guitar and there's a plan that I play an accompaniment to my daughter in law's vocals at my daughter's wedding reception.
Accompanying a vocalist may or may not become a regular thing depending on my progress so I don't want to spend a lot of money on gear right away.
I'm thinking my guitar needs a microphone and so will my d-i-law. Then what will they connect to?
You can see I'm pretty ignorant on these things!
What's available in the UK?
I can't say what my budget is until I see what the spread of equipment is like but would be relatively happy if I could start with, say, £500(?)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
Re: PA System
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:29:22 pm »
A lot depends on what sort of venues you expect to play. There are some reasonably priced low-end PA systems available from the likes of Gear4music and Thomann.

Low end doesn't necessarily mean rubbish: making mass-produced solid-state PA amplifiers to a reasonable specification and quality at a low price point is not the rocket-science that some high-end snobs will have you believe.

You also need to consider what instruments you have now, and might have in the future. Most PA amps are "2-channel" which, effectively, means "stereo" although they will normally work in mono mode with each of the channels being a separate input.

You could also consider active (powered) PA speakers and you would then no longer need a PA amp, just a mixer.

However, you will almost certainly need some sort of mixer regardless of whether you have a PA amp or powered PA speakers. There are some combo PA amps which have inbuilt mixers and these may be worth considering.

Each "channel" on the mixer is, effectively, an input for an instrument. Most inputs will be designed for Mics or line-level inputs, and this will be suitable for mics, but unsuitable for direct connecting a guitar if you decide you want to do that, however, many mixers will have a "hi-Z" input capability which can be used to DI an electro-acoustic guitar. Otherwise you'll need a separate DI box between the guitar output and the mixer input.

Another key aspect is monitoring as both you and the singer will want to hear yourselves. In some case you may be able to get away without monitoring, but in most cases you'll probably need a separate monitor speaker connected to the mixer and aimed back at you so you can hear yourselves (the PA speakers will normally be pointing away from you). You can try without a monitor to start with, but budget and plan to have one at some point if you continue gigging. In particular, make sure the mixer has the ability to create at least one monitor mix in addition to the main mix going to the speakers (or plan on having to get a new mixer).

Monitor speakers are normally floor mounted wedges. If you get a powered one then this will reduce the amount of other kit you need.

Be aware that many of the PA bundles don't include monitor capability.

You also need to budget for cables (usually XLRs and "SpeakON" speaker cables for passive speakers) and mic stands, speaker stands, etc.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Roland Cube 20X
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 319
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:37:16 pm »
Just a quick point.
For a live set get a soundhole acoustic pickup rather than using a mic.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:16:47 pm by close2u »

Offline willsie01

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:58:12 pm »
Thanks chaps.
I'm thinking venue size is going to be pub/community club.
I've being reading up on the LD Maui 5 system and if it does what is says it does I'm thinking it looks a compact solution and having watched a few youtube videos I take the point about needing an acoustic sound hole pickup as suggested by Close2you. Any advice on those? I haven't spent much time looking yet but a Fishman Rare Earth seems to be mooted a bit on Youtube. Any others I should consider for my Faith Blood Moon Venus?

Offline willsie01

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:01:05 pm »
...and then I have to think about a microphone for the vocals...and monitors?
There's a lot to this performing lark...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 319
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 11:18:39 pm »
Oh hang on, you're electro acoustic.
Forget the soundhole pickup.
Unless you want to have a backup system just in case your electro breaks down mid gig.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 132
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:24:50 pm »
I bought a second hand Roland Street Cube and I performed with it on a wedding ceremony this weekend (open air, +-32 people)

it has a mic in and a guitar in, 3 band EQ on both channels, delay/reverb on both channels and a handful of guitar amp types. (including acoustic, keyboard or any other instrument types).

thevolumes were on 1/3 and it was enough.

I actually bought it to go busking this summer but it's an excellent, lightweight and simple solution for gigs like that.

If your guitar has no jack out (no pre amp) you'll need to mic it, but that's possible too of course.

afterwards, you'll enjoy it as a very portable mini PA, portable guitar amp or busking tool
my band Point Fifty

Offline willsie01

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 08:13:56 am »
I bought a second hand Roland Street Cube and I performed with it on a wedding ceremony this weekend (open air, +-32 people)

it has a mic in and a guitar in, 3 band EQ on both channels, delay/reverb on both channels and a handful of guitar amp types. (including acoustic, keyboard or any other instrument types).

thevolumes were on 1/3 and it was enough.

I actually bought it to go busking this summer but it's an excellent, lightweight and simple solution for gigs like that.

If your guitar has no jack out (no pre amp) you'll need to mic it, but that's possible too of course.

afterwards, you'll enjoy it as a very portable mini PA, portable guitar amp or busking tool
I looked up your gear and came up with 2 different products: Street Cube andCUBE Street at significantly different prices. Haven't compared them yet but can you tell me which is yours?

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App