Author Topic: lost my way!!  (Read 947 times)

Offline spanspeed

• Good Vibes 0
lost my way!!
« on: April 25, 2017, 08:40:47 am »
Hi guys.. Some years ago I started to play guitar but due to cáncer I had to stop. I am now fully recovered and started again In January. I am getting on ok but seem to have lost my way with it. I am 66 years old and just wanted to play guitar at the occasional party and at a jam sesión in my local pub. I spend all of my time trying to play songs and not really following justins suggested learning path. Do I need to learn pentatonic scales etc just to be able to play a few songs? Any suggestions would be usefull. Thanks

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
Re: lost my way!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:24:00 am »
spanspeed welcome back and no you don't need to play the pentatonic scale to learn a few songs. Just start on  Justin's beginners course at stage 1 and work your way through it. I'd really recommend you get Justin Beginners Song Book 1 and start learning songs alongside the course. By stage 2 or 3 you should be able to get to grips with simple strumming on songs for stage 1 that are in the song book.

Give it a go, there are lots on here (about the same age as you) who have done exactly the same.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline spanspeed

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:47:11 am »
Thanks for the reply. That is what I am doing but I didnt think it was the way to go and I ought tobe doing somthing different.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:04:57 pm »
Justin has a complete free beginners course that will teach you the basic open chords. When you've learned 3-4 of those you can play songs. He even chooses songs that suit each stage, so you can practice things that are at the right level for you.

Stick with his course. Trying to learn on your own by learning random songs is the quickest way to frustration.

Online redrhodie

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 12:14:35 pm »
Glad to hear of your recovery! I also started playing after going through cancer treatment. It was nice to have something new to focus on that didn't aggravate the fatigue. Hope you're feeling well!

I think your best bet to get back on track is to follow the lessons. It really all comes together quickly if you do. You'll be playing songs in no time. Scales are good to learn, so give it a go,  but remember you don't need to spend lots of time on them. Just a few minutes a day, really slowly, then move on to the rest of your practice.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline bigbl5

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 01:26:11 pm »

Stick with his course. Trying to learn on your own by learning random songs is the quickest way to frustration.

Wise words indeed.  I had hired a local guitar teacher a couple years back.  His method of teaching was asking me what songs I wanted to learn and then go about trying to teach them.  There was no structure, no follow up, no building on concepts.  One week it was A Horse with no name and the strumming pattern, the next it was power chords for AC/DC Back in Black, another week it was arpeggio Brown Eyed Girl... I made no progress with anything and simply got frustrated and quit.  It wasn't until I found Justin's Course did I actually learn things and make progress.
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 06:14:38 pm »
Justin has a complete free beginners course that will teach you the basic open chords. When you've learned 3-4 of those you can play songs. He even chooses songs that suit each stage, so you can practice things that are at the right level for you.

Drubbing nailed it with the above. Just by following the BC you'll start to learn songs and then get the appetite to learn more...........and the BC will give you those. With the Beginners Songbooks that accompany the course you'll get 200 songs and most of these have free lessons on the website and are stage specific. Then you'll complete the BC but will want to go further. Hit the Intermediate and then open up a whole pandora's box of songs. Start the BC, stick with it, report back here in a few months and tell us the grin factor  8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Get The Forum As A Mobile App