Author Topic: "Something Stupid"  (Read 325 times)

Offline pkboo3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
"Something Stupid"
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:43:27 am »
Just for fun but would still like some good comments on how to improve.
My little dog is gonna moon ya so be ready. In the end he seems content at least for a moment. He is so hyper, my little rescue pup!

https://youtu.be/45oD9AT7zf8

Offline pkboo3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: "Something Stupid"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:48:57 am »
Oh yeah. Because this is the first song I played where my husband told me I was starting to sound good, I'm trying to commit it to memory, but I was getting tired and the brain just would not cooperate.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline DavidP

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:56:43 am »
Hi there, Pkboo,

You're an inspiration and role model to me.  You have an incredibly useful attitude and approach to learning through challenging yourself and sharing despite the odd hiccup here and there.  I find myself wrestling at times in my life with self-consciousness and desire to get it "perfectly right" before sharing something, which has actually slowed me down. Through my efforts to learn the guitar and share with this community, despite being far, far from perfectly right, I am getting the better of that, with positive impact in all aspects of my life.  So thank you.

I didn't place the song when I saw the title.  But as soon as you started playing and singing, I recognised it immediately.  Well done ... a recognizable version with good feel ... timing, tempo both playing and singing.

I'm sure you'll be aware of a couple of chord changes that stuttered a little.  And once again, when that happened you kept going and got back into the groove quickly, which meant the odd stutter didn't detract too much from my enjoyment.

To improve that I can only say what Justin and others keep saying in lessons and comments ... slow it down to improve those changes, supplement with some one-minute-changes drills on the more challenging changes (though personally I find, getting number of clean changes up in the drill is ok but getting just one clean change in mid-song when it matters is another and then slowly bring it back up to the desired tempo.

And outstanding powers of concentration to maintain a steady performance while your dog was busy subduing the sofa ... a priceless moment  :)

Good job! I look forward to another rendition in due course.

Cheers, David

Offline pkboo3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 07:32:06 pm »
Hey David. Good idea about putting this to the one-minute drills. Oh and LOL, HaHa to the "subduing the sofa" comment!

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 131
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:18:27 pm »
great singin voice and steady rhythm

the tempo is a bit  fast and the strumming and singing is a bit "tjakka-tjakka-tjakka" so to say.

playing it a bit more gently and having a bit more accent on the "ones and threes" might make quite a difference.

granted; that might be a lot of me to ask from you in this stage but I wouldn't suggest it if I wouldn't think you ween't up to it! :)

my band Point Fifty

Offline redrhodie

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:53:08 pm »
That was sweet!

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline glpguitar

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 12:06:35 am »
Hello!
Thank you for bringing nice memories from my early childhood! This tune was always played in the kitchen while my mum was preparing family lunch on Sundays. So thank you again for this :).

When it comes to playing and singing. There are some things to be improved but I think Lieven and David gave you all advice you need to improve. But overall, I reall enjoyed the tune! Good job :)

Offline pkboo3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:05:16 am »
What does tjakka mean?  Is that Dutch?

Offline Ron727

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:07:30 am »
Sounded really 👍 keep up the work, chord progression was good. I liked it

Sent from my VS990 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 10:07:47 am »
Nice version. Like Lieven I think the song could benefit from accentuating the 1 and 3 as it does get a little monotonous(?) when all strums are equal.
The suggestion to use the difficult chords in 1 minute changes is a strategy I use all the time. It is a great way to smoothen the changes and to build that muscle memory.

All in all a nice effort.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 131
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 02:27:17 pm »
What does tjakka mean?  Is that Dutch?

imagine a karateka making the hand chop move in a steady but very quick tempo :p
like chopping carrots...
my band Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App