Author Topic: "Something Stupid"  (Read 3534 times)

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: "Something Stupid"
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 10:38:50 pm »
From me as a beginner I liked it. keep it up you just inspired me to practice more I love this website I am in eastern canada and its 6:30 here. Can someone tell me the time difference from Justin?

Sent from my LG-E971 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 02:57:26 am »
Pkboo, I've been watching a few of your post recently, and I see a few things which are solid, and a few things which will take you up to the next plateau.

Your singing whilst strumming, and continuing to strum despite‚Äč flubbing the odd chord change, so as to keep the song going, is good. However, keep up the one minute changes etc, so as to flub less.

Also, your right hand is steady, but it is TOO steady, in a way. It really needs to learn how to ACCENT certain beats,  I am guessing you are mid Beginner's Course - if you have the time, perhaps suppliment it with the Strumming Techniques volume 1 DVD. If not that, at least really try out the recommended 'advanced patterns' for some of the songs. If these patterns prove too difficult, then keep going as you are - it is better to be doing something simple well than to be doing something too hard poorly. But have in mind that rhythmic variations, such as those discussed in your One More Time video, as well as accents within a pattern will lift you playing.

There are lots of things you are doing well, and the path to improving is fairly clear.

Edit: to correct some autocorrect 'corrections'.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:49:55 am by Dr Winterbourne »
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 10:02:08 pm »
Thanks dman2 from a fellow beginner. Dr. Winterbourne, your guess was spot on. I'm in Stage 6 of the BSB. Thank you for taking the time to go through my posts and see my progress. Your recommendations will definitely help. I will have to get the Strumming Techniques DVD. I should be able to slip it into my practice routine. I rotate all the different learning techniques. It usually takes me two days to complete all of them.  Can't wait to get in there and work on all the great advice I have lately received.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 02:37:24 pm »
I'm curious what your singing background is? You sing so well.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »
Pam, nice and enjoyable performance :)

I agree with others on your strumming hand. Maybe it happens unintentionally while playing in front of a camera, or because of an internal fear of doing something wrong. Let it float naturally and add accents :)

I'm curious what your singing background is? You sing so well.

She's done my free online singing course, haha. Joking aside, both of you sing very well! :)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 04:50:51 pm »
😂 Omar!

I'm hoping that if Pam has training, she can share what it was. I'm thinking of taking voice lessons.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:53 pm »
Aw thanks Redrhodie and Omar!  You are WAY to kind. I have zero singing training. Just love music.  We sing accapella in church. I decided I couldn't sing treble well, so taught myself to sing alto. I sing along with the radio in the car when I'm alone. I think I picked up a certain style listening to a certain song by Tracy Chapman, I.e., "Give Me One Reason". I listen to the coaches in my favorite singing shows, I.e., American Idol, and The Voice. I too have thought about taking singing lessons, maybe an online course. However, don't know why really...I would freeze up if I ever played live for anyone, hehe!  Anyway thanks for your lovely compliments.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Get The Forum As A Mobile App