Author Topic: New ES-339 - Buzz query  (Read 488 times)

Offline Libitina

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Do something new, Learn the Guitar.
New ES-339 - Buzz query
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:23:16 pm »
Hi all, i recently purchased the Epiphone limited edition ES-339 from a well know dealer but I'm really not happy with the amount of buzz from the bass strings.

Even with the smallest strum on strings 5 and 6 I get fret buzz but checking the string distance from the fret it falls with the correct limit.

Could the action still be incorrect even though the string distance is correct. ?, IE if I were to lower the tension on the rod and lower the bridge to compensate. Is it possible that the adjustment will illuminate the buzz occurring across about 6-8 frets.

R.H

PS, No, I will not be doing this myself.
1st, Epiphone Electro-acoustic AJ 220 SCE
2nd, Squire Strat HSS Candy Apple Red
3rd, Epiphone Ltd Ed. ES339 Vintage Sunburst

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
Re: New ES-339 - Buzz query
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:44:03 pm »
The truss rod is for setting neck relief not action. If the neck is to flat a truss rod adjustment could resolve your
fret buzz problem. If that is the problem. There could be a high fret or it could be bad technique, or a combination
of all three.
Have the guitar set up properly by a professional.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »
I had that problem with a strat - even after having it set up professionally.  I even verified the string height and the guy did everything right... I chalked it up to a combination of my technique and possibly a fret that might be out of whack slightly.  I adjusted the string height up a little for the 6th string at the bridge, and that resolved my problem without affecting the playing at all.  I don't know Gibsons well, but that might be something you would want to look at if it has already been set up. 
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 01:58:03 pm »
I had a well set up strat and still had fret buzz issues at the 7th... til I got better at strumming. Looking back, I was smashing the strings like a Sex Pistol...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App