Author Topic: When to change chords  (Read 471 times)

Offline dman2

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
When to change chords
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:00:13 pm »
I have a hard time with ear sounds.
I need sheet music with the chords on it.
I wear hearing aids and it changes the sounds quite a bit.I try without them and it is better.l have been trying to play for 2 years. I may not sound good but I am having fun.I am 72 amd have a 64 Gibson.
Last week I had to refuse the juno awards because of my schedule (just a joke).
Don  or Dman2

Sent from my LG-E971 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
Re: When to change chords
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:14:32 pm »
Don,

My suggestion would be to get Justin's Beginner Song Books. He lays out the lyrics and the chords bar by bar plus suggested strumming patterns.  In addition, you will find video lessons on how to play many of these songs on the website.  I have been following the Beginner Course and made almost unbelievable (to me) progress in the last four months (after decades of failed attempts). I am sure following the programmes, getting the books and using the lessons will help you to learn and improve your playing.

Cheers, David

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 05:42:41 pm »
Hey Don,

i'm a beginner too. I've started out with the beginners song book and the beginners course and it works!
It starts really simple, and gradually get's more difficult. It's all about your own pace and advance.
Keep at it and have fun.
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 52
  • Well I am working on it.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 05:59:51 pm »
Don,
I have dual bionic ears (hearing aids) as well and am not far behind you in age either for whatever that is worth. I have a real issue mixing with them as the do "color" the sound, just as you say. The solution mix wise for me is to bounce my mixes off trusted friends that mix well and matching reference songs to my songs I am recording.

For chord changes and timing it will come. But you want to work on doing it the 'right way' and not practicing wrong ways that become habits. The right was is a pain but in our cases very much helpful. Count out your songs and chord changes. Like this: 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, chord change before the next 1 and so on. Of course this is just an example and your song will be different count wise. But hopefully you get the idea. By doing the counting you really take a lot of the "hearing" part out of the picture and start to rely on repeatable mechanics. Justin will teach you this, just hang in there and have patience. Not an easy thing to do mind you!

Rock on,
LB
I rocked till I dropped and now I'm back for more!

Offline dman2

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 06:12:08 am »
Thank you all and have a great day!!!
don

Offline bickb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:33:44 pm »
Perhaps tapping along with your feet would be a good option for you(?)
In love with instrumental pieces? Then you should definately check out my YouTube-channel;https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46kwWZ2zsaSQmt90-JL4Yg

A new piece every week :) Enjoy!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 01:45:42 pm »
Have you tried a metronome with a LED indicator. Like this Korg KDM2 which I have?

http://www.korg.com/uk/products/tuners/kdm_2/
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline ghswen

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 05:39:08 pm »
Hi Don!

I'm 67 and have been wearing hearing aids for almost 20 years. (Too many explosions when I was in Vietnam...)

Anyway, the ones I'm wearing now have 'bluetooth' capability and I use them via my amplifier headphone jack. I thought there would be a small 'delay' but I haven't found that to be an issue.

I was lost for almost 18 years as I could no longer listen to music. The tones, were just not there. Songs didn't sound ANYTHING like I remembered them. With the new hearing aids, everything sounds just like I remembered!

So after getting my new hearing aids I went out and purchased a guitar and amp and started all over again! I last played when I was 14 or 15 so most of that knowledge went by the wayside.

Best wishes your new musical hobby and looking forward to your progress!

Gordon
Beginner (August 2016) 67 years young.
Goal: to be able to play so someone can recognize the song!

Offline bickb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 01:02:38 pm »
Hi Don!

I'm 67 and have been wearing hearing aids for almost 20 years. (Too many explosions when I was in Vietnam...)

Anyway, the ones I'm wearing now have 'bluetooth' capability and I use them via my amplifier headphone jack. I thought there would be a small 'delay' but I haven't found that to be an issue.

I was lost for almost 18 years as I could no longer listen to music. The tones, were just not there. Songs didn't sound ANYTHING like I remembered them. With the new hearing aids, everything sounds just like I remembered!

So after getting my new hearing aids I went out and purchased a guitar and amp and started all over again! I last played when I was 14 or 15 so most of that knowledge went by the wayside.

Best wishes your new musical hobby and looking forward to your progress!

Gordon

Luckily we have technology! :)
In love with instrumental pieces? Then you should definately check out my YouTube-channel;https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46kwWZ2zsaSQmt90-JL4Yg

A new piece every week :) Enjoy!

Online oldhead49

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:54:15 pm »
Hey, Don, I'm 68 and started losing my hearing about six years ago and started with aids about three, four years ago.   I really hear what you're saying about the tones!!  I'm never quite sure what I'm posting is what I'm hearing when I record it.  :-\  Nevertheless, don't give up!  Wow, a '64 Gibson!  What model?
Sorry you missed the Juno Awards. 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App