Author Topic: 003 2017 (April) Mr Soul Cover  (Read 4685 times)

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
Re: Mr Soul Cover
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 10:16:21 pm »
Still listening to it over and over. Really love it!

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline ToneBender

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 09:35:34 am »
Glad you liked it, you should listen to the original if you haven't yet, i bet you won't be listening to mine too much after that ;)

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 11:49:38 am »
Excellent job. Really nice guitar sound - great rhythm and you also have a nice voice to match.

Offline ToneBender

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 12:15:31 pm »
Thank you ! I guess my voice is ok but i'm having trouble judging it, i feel like it could be a bit more consistent and energetic (also in tune sometimes)

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 12:42:18 pm »
I understand about not being able to judge your own voice, but honestly, your voice and singing are GREAT! I even played it for my boyfriend and he was in full agreement.

I'll listen to the original, but I'll be surprised if I like it as well. Unless his voice is deeper than it usually is. But I'm sure it's great. I do love Neil Young.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline ToneBender

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 01:05:50 pm »
I suppose it's a common thing to be pretty critical about our own voice/singing but we get over it with time. I recorded an acoustic Ep with a friend of mine a few years back and i couldn't listen to the whole thing for two years ...  Now it's ok but still.
I wouldn't be surprised if NY said he didn't like the sound of his own voice

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 01:09:10 pm »
Glad you liked it, you should listen to the original if you haven't yet, i bet you won't be listening to mine too much after that ;)

And worth listening to the original studio recording (I heard it first on the Decade compilation but actually it was recorded originally by Buffalo Springfield), the version on Neil Young Unplugged and a live rendition (eg 1997's Year of the Horse).

But then I am a huge Neil Young fan  :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 01:15:31 pm »
I suppose it's a common thing to be pretty critical about our own voice/singing but we get over it with time. I recorded an acoustic Ep with a friend of mine a few years back and i couldn't listen to the whole thing for two years ...  Now it's ok but still.
I wouldn't be surprised if NY said he didn't like the sound of his own voice

And I believe one of the first record people he went to told him to consider another career as his voice was to thin and reedy and he was a mediocre guitar player. And maybe that was true at the time.  But with persistence, he turned out OK  :)

When I think song writer, singer, performer I think Dylan, Springsteen & Young (in alphabetical order  :) )

Offline ToneBender

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 01:24:25 pm »
And I believe one of the first record people he went to told him to consider another career as his voice was to thin and reedy and he was a mediocre guitar player. And maybe that was true at the time.  But with persistence, he turned out OK  :)

When I think song writer, singer, performer I think Dylan, Springsteen & Young (in alphabetical order  :) )

I think he's a really good guitar player, with a lot of soul, less technique though. I'd add Nick Drake, Townes Van Zandt and Sixto Rodriguez to the list ;) (i really wish I was born in the 50's ...)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 01:42:20 pm »
I think he's a really good guitar player, with a lot of soul, less technique though. I'd add Nick Drake, Townes Van Zandt and Sixto Rodriguez to the list ;) (i really wish I was born in the 50's ...)

This can become a wonderful conversation, though moving away from being about your (excellent) rendition of Mr Soul  :)

I enjoy Drake, never heard of van Zandt and LOVE Rodriguez.  As a student in the 80s I was one of many, many South Africans that just loved the album Cold Fact.  He was a real cult figure in SA back then and I might say the rest is Oscars History  :) On my list of songs to record and share is Like Janis ... one of the few I (thought I) could play in my pre-Justin guitar era  :)

And of course there are many others as the net is cast wider ... Leonard Cohen, Van Morrison without thinking that hard  :)

And will definitely NOT start a "and the greatest of all is ....." conversation  :) 

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 10:33:16 pm »
Sweet!   Love the guitar and your voice is well suited for this piece.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:39 am »
Nicely done, nice tones and mix!

LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline ToneBender

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 11:08:18 am »
Thanks ! I'll do a better mix next time though, I think the guitar could've been a little louder in order to make the chord changes a bit more obvious

Offline Tobsen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 05:34:38 pm »
Thought I already liked and answered to this one. Apparently not...
I really love this song and your interpretation. My absolute favorite this month!

Offline naynay

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Mr Soul Cover
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 07:12:36 am »
Really well done! Everything, the recording was spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Get The Forum As A Mobile App