Author Topic: 003 April 2017 Sounds of Silence Cover  (Read 1199 times)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
Re: Sounds of Silence Cover
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 10:29:04 am »
Hi Eddie,

one of my favourite songs from way back. I like the echo, it goes with the sentiments of the song, in my view. Well played and sung.

Keith

Online redrhodie

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 01:30:38 pm »
That was lovely. My only suggestion would be to, on the last verse, hold the note on "whispered" instead of "in" and see how that sounds.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline Eddie Gorman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 07:25:46 pm »
Thanks Keith
I wasn't sure about the echo. My gut feeling was that it suited the song but then someone said they didn't like it and it made me rethink. THanks for your comment it has reinforced the feeling that my gut instinct was right :-)

Offline Eddie Gorman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 07:27:30 pm »
Hi Redrhodie
Thank you for your very encouraging comment and for your suggestion. I will certasinly try this. Thank you :-)

Offline pkboo3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »
I thought it was very nice. The finger picking is impressive. I'm not there yet but am hoping to learn soon.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
  • Well I am working on it.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 07:37:20 am »
Nice job,
Pretty soothing to the ears. Nicely played and sung.

Mics normally don't "echo". If you have not added reverb or other such fx then it is probably your room environment?

Thanks,
LB
I rocked till I dropped and now I'm back for more!

Offline naynay

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 09:05:53 am »
Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline AdamT

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 11:38:41 pm »
Hey Eddie,

Welcome to the forum!  You'll find plenty of encouraging & helpful people around here, especially in the monthly competition thread.

I'm a huge Paul Simon fan (he's one of the best songwriters ever, IMO), and your version is true to the original.  Good finger-picking technique, and your singing was spot-on.

It does sound like you put some reverb on your vocal--it could be the sound of your room.  In this case, it reminded me of the Simon & Garfunkel version.  Unfortunately, though, most of the time the "room sound" is undesirable.  I record vocals in my closet to absorb the reflections (but would make a stupid video).

Looking forward to your next entry!

-Adam

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 134
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 11:03:33 pm »
I think you might need to ease down on the tempo changes but keep that desire do bring dynamics.
Translate that into softer/single notes and strumming. Switch or combine on key moments but keep that flow somewhat more steady.

I think you have a solid picking technique already so the more you can do that on "automatic pilot", the more you can focus on timing and vocals.

good job!
my band Point Fifty

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 322
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »
What others have said really ...

A solo performance of a song - particularly when you are investing emotion in to your performance - can be massively enhanced with suitable nuanced variations in tempo.
Of course dynamics are important but they are different to varying tempo.
The best performances, those that grab you and punch you and turn your head do it subtly and perhaps subconsciously.
I was too conscious of your tempo changes so either you were not aware of it and it was an issue with technique or you were choosing it but overdoing / over-emphasising it.
You obviously have some finger-style skill so dedicated practice at this will quickly see you putting the issue right.
Overall a good job and I look forward to more.
 :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 07:03:58 pm »
Liked this a lot, playing and singing - yes lots of good advice given already but great job. BTW I liked the acoustics of that echo but hey that's just me. 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 136
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 05:43:37 pm »
Very well played and sung Eddie. Some nice chord movements and embellishments too. I've been meaning to do a lesson on this for ages, I put it in a songbook but but I'd need to revise it myself! But you got it down nicely! Fingerpicking was real solid and vocals were pretty strong, perhaps a little more experimenting with recording and EQ would help if you want to record yourself more... bit more top on the acoustic to bring out the picked notes and get the mix a little better - but very well done! :)

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Tom2712

• Good Vibes 0
Re: 003 April 2017 Sounds of Silence Cover
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 10:07:59 am »
Some people have commented about you speeding up in places. This is the first song I ever performed in front of people live and in places there are a lot of words to fit in. I would suggest that you sing along with this in the car or wherever, this is always a good way of learning the song well and then you can translate that to your playing. I thought you did a pretty decent job of playing and  singing this fine tune. One comment on technique.....I notice your picking hand needs to rotate clockwise slightly, as your thumb is behind your first finger and it is better if it is sitting in front of it, especially if you play something faster. It may be a challenge to change this habit but it would be worth it if you are serious about playing fingerstyle. Well done!

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Amelie

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 22
Re: 003 April 2017 Sounds of Silence Cover
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 08:24:35 am »
Well done. I thought it sounded really good.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App