Author Topic: Software for lyrics and chords  (Read 733 times)

Offline martinmarkvoll

• Good Vibes 0
Software for lyrics and chords
« on: April 03, 2017, 03:19:21 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know what software Justin uses to make his songbooks?
They look great and I'm looking for a good Mac application to write down songs that I'm working on.

I've tried both SongBook and OpenSong, but I'm not impressed.

Best regards,
Martin

Offline smoe

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Software for lyrics and chords
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:40:07 pm »
I don't know what Justin is using. What are you missing in SongBook and OpenSong?

My personal approach would be using specialized software like MuseScore or Guitar Pro for creating the musical notation and then include those within some sort of desktop publishing/word processor software (e.G. Apple Pages being the simplest, otherwise Adobe InDesign, Scribus or LaTex) to create an actual book with page layouts to my taste and requirements, free text and so on.
Don't know if there are good options that combine the two types of content well in one software.

If its just about writing down lyrics with chord names on top, I think every text writing program will get the job done.

So far the things I'm working on are so simple that i prefer writing it down by hand in my music notebook having blank pages on the left and  staff lines on the right. I also remember everything much better this way compared to typing it on a computer or looking at bought books/printed "sheet music". :)
BC started: Mid December, 2016
Current stage: 3

Offline martinmarkvoll

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:26:24 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

I use Finale for music notation and Word for word processing, so I'm all set when it comes to notation.

I like the concept of Songbook and Opening, but would love to have something that is more "what-you-see-is-what-you-get". I'm especially annoyed by how you have to insert brackets in Songbook when you enter chords.

Offline leechie

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:38:20 pm »
Software is probably the desktop publishing company's app as they print it. Would imagine he gives them a file with instructions or meet quite regularly until sign off

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 09:31:29 am »
I know he has previously used Guitar Pro. Guitar Pro 6 is pretty good for notating.

I'm not sure what he uses for the songbooks though. GP6, and most tab editors normally display tab with the score above it, as normally tab on it's own doesn't give enough information (as the rhythmic part is missing).

In Justin's songbooks I note he is using a version of tab which has rhythmic information included in the form of beams linked to some of the tabbed numbers. I've not seen this used anywhere else, and I'm not sure if this is something you can do with GP6 or other notation apps (I will have to experiment). It might just be something special Justin has done to condense the tab into a smaller space.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App