Author Topic: Master the major scale  (Read 1422 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: Master the major scale
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 08:15:51 pm »
Thanks Toby and Omar ... makes sense and helpful ...

Offline [email protected]

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 03:12:38 am »
Thanks guys.  If there are other references you can think of that explain chord tones/notes i'd appreciate it.  I thought I was gaining on the topic, now I'm not as sure. 

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 07:23:15 pm »
Tony

I'll try and get some diagrams up later this week now I've got around the Photobucket issue. Stitch101 pointed me towards the Fretjam site and there really is some useful info there. I did get "spammed" for an application called Guitarnotesmaster and although I don't usually buy software it was well worth - current price $39.

I'm still using it now to supplement the courses I am doing here, as it has a shed load of exercises, which added to those that Justin provides, should take you to a higher level. I only say should, as I am talking about me, for most folk it WILL take you to the next level.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
Thanks.

Online Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:55 pm »
Thanks guys.  If there are other references you can think of that explain chord tones/notes i'd appreciate it.  I thought I was gaining on the topic, now I'm not as sure.

Have you worked your way through Justins Practical Music Theory?
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 09:37:40 pm »
Thanks for the reminder. I've got it and have read parts of it.  Have to dig it back out again.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 11:09:48 pm »
I'll see if I can have a crack at explaining it...

Below are two neck diagrams showing the G Major scale in the 1st CAGED shape, also known as the "E shape". The one on the left shows the scale with the scale notes highlighted. As you said, these are the Root (or "1"), 3 and 5.

It may help if you play the scale on your guitar whilst looking at the diagram. If you start at the root note and count that as "one", the next as "two" and so on, you will see that the 3 is the 3rd note of the scale, and the 5 is the 5th note of the scale.

The neck diagram on the right is the same notes, but with the notes highlighted showing how you would fret this as a chord, either by using a capo across fret 3, or with a barre with your 1st finger lying across all the strings on fret 3. If you look as the notes that are fretted, you'll see they are the Root, 5th, Root, 3rd, 5th and Root. So you end up with at least one Root note, one 3rd, and one 5th in the E shape chord.

The fact they aren't in order, and there's more then one Root and 5th isn't important at this stage. What is important is that you need at least one of each to make the chord.

If you look at the other 3 highlighted notes, you'll see they look a bit like the shape you make with your fingers when you play an open E chord. In fact this is exactly the same shape, but shifted up by 3 frets.

The 3rd on the A string (which, as you said, is the note B) can't be played when you are playing this chord, as it's behind the 5th note on the A string, which is a D, as well as the capo/barre.

It is, however, still a chord tone. It's just not from this particular shape of chord. If you play an open G, then that note is played. However, in that case the other notes on the middle 4 strings aren't.

(actually, you can play the 5th on the B string if you want)

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Definitely read PMT again though.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 12:06:18 am »
That does help a fair bit, thanks.  Once you learn the chord tones, do riffs tend to start and end on them?  Justin, in the dvd was a little vague, from memory he just said you need to know them.

Online Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 05:31:57 am »
The chord tones will always sound good over that chord. Notice them, and when you are improvising over the backing track or a looper pedal, hitting these chord tones will never sound wrong over a chord. But, it is pretty white bread and bland. It is not wrong, but it is not super interesting to only play these safe notes. We want a bit of tension, and then release that tension by taking the melody home to one of the safe spots. Or avoid the safe spots, to maximize the tension, if that is what you want.

Some notes have more tension than others. If you stick a G chord into your looper and play each note in turn over it, and listen, really listen, you can start to form an opinion about what each scale degree sounds like over the chord. The 4th really wants to resolve back to the 3rd, or possibly up to the 5th, for example. Riffs and melodies will use the spicier notes as well as the chord tones.

If you write a riff that only uses these chord notes, it'll be fine. But eventually your ears will get bored of it and you'll want to jazz it up a bit. Likewise with soloing. It won't sound wrong, but meh.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Get The Forum As A Mobile App