Author Topic: The best tip I can pass onto a beginner. Strings !  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
Re: The best tip I can pass onto a beginner. Strings !
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 03:45:26 am »
Hi Esiuolm

This is my point ! Electric strings will go on an acoustic. Acoustic strings will go on an electric. Nylon strings will go on an..... errrr....  Fishing Rod ?

Yes, the Flat Wound strings I talk about above are "electric" but they play perfectly well on acoustic guitars.  I would pretty much gaurantee that a beginner would prefer them on their acoustic OR electric guitar ! No Pain at all and you slide up and down for hours without blood !)

Despite posts above saying that pain is a right of passage, all I'm saying is it needn't be. Why make learning difficult ?

That's your opinion. Most people will get sore fingers from learning guitar, whether its set up well, or if the strings are coated in silk gossamer from guitar fairies. You advice works for you, but isn't a universal solution. People need to be aware there are no quick fixes.

Offline Doctorhillbilly

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 02:22:06 am »
You're tying yourself to a specific sound with flats, which are typically used on jazz boxes afaik.
If you've been playing more than a month or two, and soreness/callouses are still a big prob, there are other problems that need adjustment, and switching to flats is just an easy way to cover-up a fundamental problem. The more you play, the fewer or lighter callouses should be. If you're bleeding, somethinh is definitely wrong.
I still play strings similar to what my guitars came with: nickle steel and phosphor-bronze,  and finger pain stopped about a month in.

Sent from my SM-N920P using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 161
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 11:54:43 pm »
That's your opinion. Most people will get sore fingers from learning guitar, whether its set up well, or if the strings are coated in silk gossamer from guitar fairies. You advice works for you, but isn't a universal solution. People need to be aware there are no quick fixes.

This, by the heathen gods, THIS.
Hell, i've been playing for almost 19 years now, and i STILL get sore fingers if i play the wrong way, lay a lot over a short period, or switch string gauges for some crazy band project.
If switching string types/brands was the end all, be all solution, i'd have switched to whatever works best 18 years ago (would certainly have saved me from some bloodshed from torn calusses).

-----------------------
But let's discuss why i disagree with the topic at hand;
Flatwounds will hinder certain playing styles, for one (good luck playing chuggy metal or punk with lots of fast powerchord changes, without it sounding like a concert hall filled with mice), they influence your guitar's sound, and thus also any amplified sound (not sure if i'd equate them to Jazz, but they certainly are far more common amongst Jazz players).
And that's ignoring discussions about brand preferences (i for one have grown to detest d'Addario because they tarnish really fast for me, and i tend to break them like nobody's business), compositions (nickel, steel, burnished nickel, etc.), coated or non-coated, gauges (i never go under .011, where some would call me insane and swear by .009), etc. etc.
And there's also the fact that flatwounds feel different and play differently as well.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 09:00:27 pm »
All I said was that when I was a beginner I found that the strings were the biggest problem for me. I daresay I'm not the only one as when you first interact with a guitar they are pretty much the first point of contact !

Read my original post. I never said they are a be all solution, nor did I say they were a quick fix or you would be tied to using them for life. Yes, they affect the sound, yes they are pretty abysmal (IMO) BUT ! They helped me practice and "get into" playing in a much more gentle and controlled way. Swapped them out after a couple of months from memory for a more standard string and went from there.

Was just trying to pass on something that helped me, that's all. Wasn't after lecturing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App