Author Topic: Help learning  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Tony Grapes

• Good Vibes 0
Help learning
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:10:30 am »
Been playing close to 3 months and struggling with getting over to bar cords any help or tips? Also any tips on making your hand stronger? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: Help learning
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:30:38 am »
Been playing close to 3 months and struggling with getting over to bar cords any help or tips? Also any tips on making your hand stronger? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum Tony  :)

Tony are you working your way through Justin's Beginner Course? If you're not I'd recommend it. Justin doesn't teach barre chords till the Intermediate level. I followed some bad advise and started learning barre chords after 1 month of starting out and I still regret it. It has taken months to heal my wrist and thumb that were damaged by trying something I wasn't ready for. You're on the right track asking about exercises to strengthen your hands.

If you look in the Essential Skills section you'll find a heap of exercises and techniques to help you with not only strength but skill. Here's one from his Beginners Course to help you with strength https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-135-FingerWorkout.php   Here's another one for technical development https://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-110-TheFingerGym.php   There's heaps more.

Offline Tony Grapes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:26 am »
I'm going to start with the course, thanks for the advise.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:43:19 am by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:56:49 am »
Good move Tony. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and make great progress. When you're ready there is a thread for beginners to post their first recordings. https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=35538.0

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:41:07 am »
Tony

Good to see you're going to take bats advice. If you've only been playing a few months then its probably a bit too early to be starting barre chords but your choice but they can take months to master. Justin doesn't cover them ( E shape first) until stage 6 of the beginners course and then returns to them at the start of the intermediate course.

Not sure how you've been learning but Justin's beginners course will give you the strong and broad foundation you will need for all your future development. It covers all the basics to give you a good grounding and its all free. So you can't go wrong. About then only thing I'd recommend you buy is the Beginners Songbook vol 1 and you don't have to do that either!

Take it from someone who floundered 20 years ago, everything you need to play guitar is here and the BC is the place to start. Now get yourself onto Stage I .

Cheers

Toby

Sent from my MID2809 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:27:35 pm »
I can only echo what has already been said and like Toby I have tried to learn several times over many years and never did very well; since just before Christmas I started going through the Beginners course and found lots of stuff on there that I hadn't got a clue about. I can play barre chords and am not strictly speaking a beginner as such but I have found going back to basics but in a structured way has improved my playing a lot.
Patience and practice are the 2 most important things you need to learn to play and remember that you are learning to play a guitar not a particular piece that you like - when you've learned to play well enough those pieces that you've always wanted to play will come a lot easier.
Good luck with your journey :)
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline smoe

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:32:30 pm »
Also any tips on making your hand stronger?

Be very wary about quick tips to make your hand stranger. Especially with devices that are being sold to guitar/bass players promising to do that. You might actually ruin your hand permanently.

Instead I'd recommend following the course, look closely how Justin or other experienced guitars place their fingers, and built up strength slowly and steadily. Guitar playing isn't a very "natural" use of our hands. You need to give your fingers and brain time to develop what you want them to do. Also i reckon, as I'm not that far yet, bare cords are not just about raw strength but technique.
BC started: Mid December, 2016
Current stage: 3

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:44:23 pm »
For what it's worth

http://douglasniedt.com/TechTipLittleJennifersSecret.pdf

Not endorsing it. Not recommending it.

Just food for thought

:)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »
Be very wary about quick tips to make your hand stranger. Especially with devices that are being sold to guitar/bass players promising to do that. You might actually ruin your hand permanently.

Instead I'd recommend following the course, look closely how Justin or other experienced guitars place their fingers, and built up strength slowly and steadily. Guitar playing isn't a very "natural" use of our hands. You need to give your fingers and brain time to develop what you want them to do. Also i reckon, as I'm not that far yet, bare cords are not just about raw strength but technique.

Agreed about them being probably 85% technique and hand strength built up - OVER TIME. 

Mastering Bar chords is like learning a new language; you want to scream until all of a sudden, you understand what's being spoken around you, like a fog was lifted. 

Just today I solved my last E-shape riddle and got the F dom7 chord in the first fret to sound properly, as I had been unable to get the 4th string to ring out.  All of a sudden like magic, it just worked - but it takes time, practice and patience.  Onto Foundation 4 in a few days after some more intensive work on transcribing and melodic patterns...
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
  • It's gonna take patience and time...
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 06:23:09 am »
Hello Tony! I've been playing for a year and still can not play bar chords, at least not quick enough to use them in songs. Don't worry to much about it, they will come when they are ready.

There are so many songs you can play without bar chords. Put less focus on bar chords and more on timimg and rhythm instead would be my advice. Doesn't matter if you can play 500 chords if the timimg is bad. Don't try to run before you can walk.

Good luck
Johan
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 02:53:31 am »
Hello Tony! I've been playing for a year and still can not play bar chords, at least not quick enough to use them in songs. Don't worry to much about it, they will come when they are ready.
Johan

This gives me hope Johan! I've been wrangling with the A shape barre for a few weeks now as I'm learning Better Be Home Soon so I need the beautiful Bb. I get soooooooo angry with myself when I don't get it sounding sweet and I get even angrier when I have to stop playing and  do a full workshop on getting my fingers right. I'm practising the chord sequences  that Bb is part of and some days I reckon I'd be playing at about 30 bpm just to keep the rhythm and get a decent sound. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:11:00 am »
For hand strength, I recommend using dumbbells for forearm exercises.  Youtube it.  Will improve your playing.

Offline MetallicAnut

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 07:14:17 pm »
Forget "hand strength", nothing about the guitar has anything to do with strength. Guitar technique is about finesse, muscle memory, and playing without tension. Make sure you are practicing at ridiculously slow speeds consciously being aware to how everything in your upper body is reacting to the movements you are making. Specifically making sure you are doing these motions totally relaxed....ZERO TENSION.

Edit: Now if you need help understanding the motions your hands, shoulders and everything should be making.....then that is a different topic altogether.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 08:50:58 pm »
This explains all, tension is your worst enemy, you have to learn to let it go, here's a guide:
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/for-all-styles/unlocking-hidden-finger-tension
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 12:57:10 am »
This explains all, tension is your worst enemy, you have to learn to let it go, here's a guide:
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/for-all-styles/unlocking-hidden-finger-tension

Thanks a lot for this Darrell.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App